Rank The Indiana Jones Films

Temple Raider

Portraying the Wehrmacht as Nazis and the Soviet Armed Forces as... Soviet, is RACIST?
To avoid promoting generalizing negative stereotypes Spielberg should have also shown the wide range of German and Soviet experience. The good German and the good Soviet person/people.

Because e.g. Toht is not at all caricature of a Gestapo officer in a way that would offend any German person, no?

Portraying them in a historical context obviously isn't, but in fiction (as the IJ films are) they could be be taken that way by some. In Raiders and TLC we don't exactly see any good Germans and same with KOTCS, we don't see any good Russian characters. Not to mention both are pretty bad stereotypes that could easily be seen as offensive by some. At least in TOD we see the good Indian people that Indy is helping to balance out the Thuggees.

For the record, I've got some German and Russian in me, and Raiders/TLC/KOTCS don't offend me :lick:

I was being somewhat jocose with that statement of mine. ;)

I just wish they would portray Finns as more than muscle bound mutes or henchmen to Swedish bad guys in movies. We need our own infamy as a race of drunkards who occasionally burn down their houses and beat their wives and children in their intoxicated delirium! Oh and of course as passionate people who love nothing more than sail to Estonia and back on luxury cruise ships and get wasted and buy cheap tax free booze by the truck load.

Do we have any Indian members here? Maybe they can tell us if it's still OK to watch TOD!

I can't speak for anyone, but I've known of Indian people who like the film and don't find it offensive.

My family came from India, so I'm first generation Canadian. Aside from some things, there isn't much that I strongly relate to with my Indian background though. Still, I find a lot of the stereotypes exaggerated to a point where it's no longer as entertaining and I can definitely see others being offended to it.

I personally find it hard to believe that the depiction of Soviets and Nazis to be considered offensive to Russians/Germans when they're caricatures of the Soviet and Nazi regimes, not the nations' people.

Meanwhile, TOD portrays caricatures of the Indian people themselves. And while they are caricatures, and don't mean to offend, I thought they could have been tamed down.

But really, I don't care. My dislike of the film leans more heavily on the stupid new characters than the stereotypes.

Meanwhile, TOD portrays caricatures of the Indian people themselves. And while they are caricatures, and don't mean to offend, I thought they could have been tamed down.

At least none of the Indians were doing the "wobble head" thing.

You don't see that in the movies anymore. I have rather fond memories of it as a child.

You know, for all the crap that scene gets (the Goblintown chase) in a way it was kind of nice to have something kinda different than the sort of goal-less hack-and-slashing of LOTR/ROTK

You know, for all the crap that scene gets (the Goblintown chase) in a way it was kind of nice to have something kinda different than the sort of goal-less hack-and-slashing of LOTR/ROTK

So you are calling the LotR action set pieces goal-less and hack-and-slash in comparison with The Hobbit? Have you been smoking Old Toby and mushrooms in your pipe again?

So you are calling the LotR action set pieces goal-less and hack-and-slash in comparison with The Hobbit?

Mostly the latter half of the battle of the Pelennor fields, they are just standing in one place hacking at one Orc after another, how many different ways can Aragorn kill an Orc with his sword and it not become a slight bit samey?.

In the AUJ scene there is a more of a feel of forward motion, with them trying to reach the exit and escape.

That is what I mean.

(The AUJ scene is more cartoony with its CGIness, I'll give all of you that.)

Either some have not seen CRYSTAL SKULL or they're being over dramatic.

I just never cared for Temple of Doom.

Short Round, for me, is the most annoying character in cinema history.

I don't care for Temple of Doom either, but, come on, Short Round isn't even the most annoying character in that film; that infamy belongs to Willie.

I never minded Willie or Short Round, though I could understand why some wouldn't like them. But for me, TLC's cartoonish, buffoonish versions of Brody and Sallah were irritating beyond words.

Good point. Last Crusade took existing characters and ruined them, by many accounts. I, for one, LOVE Shorty and Willie.

As is often the case with film franchises, the first one is the best. So good it spawned sequels.

And then the quality holds or decreases steadily.

So:

Raiders

Temple of Doom / Last Crusade

Skull

It works with Star Wars too:

Star Wars / ESB

Jedi

Menace

Clone

Sith

ROTS has many good scenes that are held together by a flimsy and rushed narrative. The story worked better on paper than how it was executed. At least with TPM, I still get that old Star Warsy feel and atmosphere, even if it's a bit dodgy. Nothing makes sense in AOTC.

Plus, Attack of the Clones and much of Revenge of the Sith are impossible to even look at. It's Hansel Christian and Natalie Portman staring and speaking monotone pasted on top of digital video game environments. It kinda looks like the old Nick Arcade show.

Menace is a flawed film.

Clone is a terrible film.

Sith is not a film.

This order can't be wrong, it's mine. :)

Though I'm sad and disappointed by this prequel trilogy, I have to say that I still admire George for completing the six episodes. It's an incredible goal for an artist to achieve.

Sorry about changing the subject. This was supposed to be about Indy.

They're all bad but I'm not sure if they actually got worse as they went on. I do know each prequel ruined whatever the previous one hadn't. So by Revenge of the Sith, literally everything had been ruined. However, Sith has the distinction of being chronologically the closest to Star Wars (1977) and the one where everything literally transitions to the original trilogy. Sure, a 20 year gap between episodes is stupid, but whatever. But it was all slapped together in typical Lucas fashion. Palpatine becomes the Emperor because he convinces Anakin to cut off Shaft's hand and kill babies for some power he never even claimed to have. What? Then, NYPD Blue is there rescuing CGI Yoda from the building, Anakin kills babies with no logical motivation and he is horrifically burned on fire after being cut apart with a sword, Natalie Portman dies giving birth to the babies because she chooses to make herself die, NYPD Blue adopts Leia because his wife wants to adopt a baby girl (?), robots attach the Darth Vader suit to Anakin's torso to save his life (including a cape...???), the Death Star is being built with Grand Moff Tarkin out of nowhere apparently 20 years before Star Wars, quick, erase that droid's memory, and Obi-Wan gives the baby to Uncle Owen after he had never actually known Anakin. Basically none of the dialogue in Star Wars makes sense anymore. In fact, the original Star Wars no longer seems to be canon after watching the prequels. Might as well just remake it, George.

There is so much oversimplification concerning the prequels. They are sub par films which contain fractures of the splendor the original trilogy had. I find them watchable on some level, Phantom the least because it's so damn long, the bicker and banter in the film has no bearing on anything that happens later. Attack of the Clones I believe is frequently attacked for cheesy, terrible love story, but with a little more development, I think there's an average story there and the music all the while is still great. Sith is the culmination of the earlier shit into something which must be made malleable to bridge the trilogies. Barring some awful dialog, it's my favorite of the prequels as things start to make more sense than the load of nonsense that conprised the prior two films.

As for indy:

1.)Raiders

2.)Crusade

3.)Doom

4.)Skull

Hipster Star Wars fans will denounce Episodes VII, VIII, IX and the various spinoffs for the cash grabs that they are, and rightfully so. There will always be that one Ian Malcolm type lunatic who considers the original Star Wars 1977 film to be the only true Star Wars film. He's probably right. But there will now be an interesting subgroup devoted to Episodes I-VI, what Lucas has transformed from the adventures of Luke Skywalker into the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. Lucas said in 2005 there was no Episode VII and that the story was now complete. We apparently had to accept that Anakin built See-Threepio to help his Mother do the dishes, but that was it. Six films. Evil is vanquished, the characters' various arcs are completed and we have our happy ending (as always) in Return of the Jedi, only with more Jar Jar. Regardless of how much shit Lucas made up along the way (all of it?), the finality of Jedi was always unclouded. Will the Prequels be "real" Star Wars films while VII, VIII and IX are basically spinoffs?

Mace Windy or something like that for the Windu character. It's funny how Windu was such an early concept yet in the film's he doesn't do shit all except die.

I like how so many people still swallow the myth that Lucas had everything written up in some "Journal of the Whills" grand plan as if he was like a prophet writing holy scriptures.

I'm not sure anybody believes that.

So Indy fans dont like annoying characters?

This Indy fan doesn't.

Willy Scott was a bit of a problem. Sallah's character didn't suffer too much in Last Crusade but Marcus was a huge disappointment. So was the fat kid in the opening sequence. Such an appalling cliché. I won't go into the last film, I've forgotten it already.

Hipster Star Wars fans will denounce Episodes VII, VIII, IX and the various spinoffs for the cash grabs that they are, and rightfully so. There will always be that one Ian Malcolm type lunatic who considers the original Star Wars 1977 film to be the only true Star Wars film. He's probably right. But there will now be an interesting subgroup devoted to Episodes I-VI, what Lucas has transformed from the adventures of Luke Skywalker into the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. Lucas said in 2005 there was no Episode VII and that the story was now complete. We apparently had to accept that Anakin built See-Threepio to help his Mother do the dishes, but that was it. Six films. Evil is vanquished, the characters' various arcs are completed and we have our happy ending (as always) in Return of the Jedi, only with more Jar Jar. Regardless of how much shit Lucas made up along the way (all of it?), the finality of Jedi was always unclouded. Will the Prequels be "real" Star Wars films while VII, VIII and IX are basically spinoffs?

I think you might need to take a deep breath, switch off the computer and go outside for awhile. It's a series of films made for kids. Relax.

I like how so many people still swallow the myth that Lucas had everything written up in some "Journal of the Whills" grand plan as if he was like a prophet writing holy scriptures.

I'm not sure anybody believes that.

Take a peak at TFN forums and you're bound to spot someone.