Ghostbusters (2016 reboot)

Jay

Awful, awful, awful idea. The sequel reboot thing itself, not that it's an all female cast. I wouldn't have want it if they had been able to get everyone back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am more excited about this prospect than the prospect of a Aykroyd/Hudson/Murray Ghostbusters 3 (although I guarantee at least two of them will appear in some capacity). I don't see anything particularly sacred about the series - one great movie, one okay movie.

I can think of dozens of funny actresses who will be great. None of them are Melissa McCarthy, who unfortunately I'm assuming will get a part based on the director and writer. With that said, if she's able to turn something in that is fairly restrained, I'm willing to be surprised too.

...if she's able to turn something in that is fairly restrained, I'm willing to be surprised too.

That's the key, because as funny as the original is, it's not a straight comedy, and it doesn't just go for yucks. The characters took themselves seriously (for the most part, Murray's a special case). There are some real elements of horror there.

She hasn't made a good one since The House Bunny (that I've seen), unfortunately

Observe and Report - bad

Take Me Home Tonight - forgettable
What's Your Number - mostly forgettable (but she's mad hot in it)
The Dictator - alright I guess
Movie 43 - terrible movie (her segment was funny though)
Didn't see any others
Anyways, she is starring in a TV show and has popped out Chris Pratt's kid, which could explain why her movie roles have been less lately

Yeah, sure, you guys aren't interested in this... until they announce Jennifer Lawrence, Scarlett Johansson and co have joined the cast and suddenly you'll all be drooling like damn retards and say you can't wait for the film.

Fucking hypocrites.

Will they be in the nuddy?

Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett Johansson are excellent actresses, but they aren't "hilarious women".

Will they try and attract some former SNL stars? Like Tina Fey?

But again, why are they making this film for, if it gets made at all?

Why do the actresses have to be comediennes? Why put all the pressure on them to be funny? I often find dramatic actors/actresses who aren't renowned for their hilarity to be funnier when they're forced into circumstances that make them appear undignified.

When Ghostbusters came out in 1984, Bill Murray was 33, Dan Aykroyd was 31, Harold Ramis was 39, and Ernie Hudson was 38. I wonder if they will go with a 30something cast again, or a mix of twenty somethings to 40 somethings, or what.

But I don't think they need four "hilarious women" to be the crew, and I think that would be a mistake. Bill Murray was the only one who was cracking jokes for the most part. The humor of the other three was built around the characters, not wisecracking.

A good actor/actress can be funny - Jennifer Lawrence has shown her skill in some of her roles in that regard. Not so sure about Scarlett, but I haven't seen her in much besides Marvel.

So what is everyone's 4-woman Ghostbusters dream team? Hew as closely or as far away from the roles established by the original 4 as you want.

Sigourney Weaver

Kristen Wiig

Mindy Kaling

Zoe Saldana

A good mix of so-called serious and so-called comedic, but all can pull off humorous characters. Mindy is, in my mind, the Egon - more of the nerdy scientist type although probably a bit more squeamish, so a little Ray thrown in there as well. Wiig could pull off a bit of a Venkman-ish smartass role.