Ghostbusters (2016 reboot)

Jay

17 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

As good as Ghostbusters 2?

If you have to ask you do not know. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

The film didn't really need personal stakes, it was very light and breezy.  Wiig going into the vortex was the personal stakes moment, closing the arc that started with them being at odds in the beginning of the movie.

I didn't understand at all the point if the blonde hair moment though, since it was totally undone in the next scene.

It's called coloring. The joke was Wiig did hers in Garfield orange.

According to Box Office Mojo, Ghostbusters is expected to open at No. 2 with a $46 million return. The Secret Life of Pets is at $50 million at No. 1.

Is 2016 the year where the tentpoles get usurped by these random animated flicks I never heard about until the day they open?

• 2 weeks later...

The link doesn't work.

People don't want sequels that don't bring back the original cast. The marketing department seemed to think this was a completely different film, as evidenced by the revival of the classic Hi-C Ecto Cooler drink I used to have in my brown bag school lunch everyday. That would have made sense for a nostalgia fest like The Force Awakens, but this?

It got what it deserved. So did Independence Day: Resurgence. Let's just forget they ever happened and move on.

• 2 weeks later...

We loved this, so we're a bit bummed that there won't be more with the cast.  Rachel said that she realized halfway through the movie that her face hurt because she consistently had a huge smile.

If Feig had reigned it in a little bit in the final battle, maybe the budget wouldn't have gotten so out of control.  They could have preserved the real "hero moments" (the four ladies kicking ghost butts, Wiig saving McCarthy) without the Giant Rowan rampaging through Manhattan stuff.  There was a whiff of Marvel-style "need to stop the apocalypse" at the end, when IMO it could have been much tighter and cleaner.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jay said:

Never seen a blu ray with rotten tomatoes on the cover before

I have. They seem to reserve that label for films that underperformed in the box office. It's their extra way of saying, "Please! Please, buy our movie! Some critics said it wasn't a rotten tomato!"

4 hours ago, Skelly said:

I have. They seem to reserve that label for films that underperformed in the box office. It's their extra way of saying, "Please! Please, buy our movie! Some critics said it wasn't a rotten tomato!"

Yeah, I think it's just in the last year I've started seeing it. Got 99 Homes from the library a few weeks ago and noticed it there too.

I may see Sausage Party as a rental.  Not too interested in Bad Moms.  We don't typically do theaters since the baby's been born, but my spouse was excited to see that they were expanding release, and specifically wanted to see this one again.

The extended cut is 15 minutes longer

That's a lot of padding that will slow down the pace considerably.  I find extended/unrated versions of comedies are generally not as good as their swift theatrical counterparts (American Pie 2 is one exception I can think of)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...