Ghostbusters (2016 reboot)

Jay

Not bad, except for McCarthy who I don't care for. In the few movies I've seen with her, she delivers all of her joke lines like she's delivering the punchline on a sitcom, or yelling some dumb SNL catchphrase.

But as white, priviliged males, we have to try hard to maintain the appearance of accepting these women as nerdy, enthusiastic scientists carrying heavy unlicenced nuclear accelerators on their backs because disagreement with the new feminist establishment of political correctness will result in permanent ostracisation, alienation and exclusion from society. Especially Twitter.

Melissa McCarthy just isn't funny.

The other three women definitely are, but I dunno if they are right for a Ghostbusters movie. Then again, we don't know how similar to the 80s classics this new thing is meant to be, anyway.

Well Winston was an everyman, so he's one exception. I wasn't thinking about him with my original comment because nobody ever remembers token Winston. He had a more spiritual approach to the ghosts, but didn't have a big enough part to explore that.

Ray wasn't as eccentric as Egon, but he still had enthusiasm for the ghosts.

If anything, Peter was bored by the ghosts. It's like he hung out with these other scientists because they all went to college together and owe each other money, but he just wants to get famous, rich, and laid. He's better than this daily ghost business, but he plays along because he's needed. The other two legitimately are fascinated by the ghosts.

I admit that if you grew up with Aykroyd and Murray on SNL, it'd be hard to think of them as scientists. The difference is that Ghostbusters was Aykroyd's creation, he came up with the basic concept and Ramis helped refine the script. It's not like somebody else thought it'd be funny to put him and his friends into somebody else's work.

That's what this female Ghostbusters is. They're taking four funny women and shoehorning them into an adaptation of somebody else's work because they need a new Ghostbusters team that is 100% gender opposite. It feels like it won't come across as an organic team, unlike the original. I don't know, ladies, prove me wrong.

Official art from the Ghostbusters Facebook

10841794_788885381165465_868616510138224

I just can't help but think of this new project as a new film cashing in on old film's success, and not a continuation, even a spiritual one, at all. I dunno.

• 1 month later...

Nothing has ever needed more James Franco. If only he could pass the uncanny valley.

Which reminds me Keanu Reeves and Nicolas Cage would be prime candidates for this! I'll throw in even Orlando Bloom into the bargain!

Can they just meet both sides in the middle and make neither?

I second the motion!

• 2 months later...

Yeah, next up, it'll be revealed that the characters have these names:

-Petra Venkman

-Raye Stanz

-Egonia Spengler

-Winnie Zeddemore

-David Barratt

-Louise Tully

-John Melnitz

-Walter Peck (apparently Walter can be used as a girl's name too)

You heard it here first ;)