Michael Giacchino's Tomorrowland (2015)

Jay

As in, he's so bad at doing puns he couldn't even come up with one.

What a goofy little video. All the abrupt starts and stops is really annoying. And the footage is from within the recording studio, yet the audio sounds like the finished album mixes.

Sounds like Michael ripped some ideas from Tiltons Sim City!

I hear it around the 1 minute mark

What a goofy little video. All the abrupt starts and stops is really annoying. And the footage is from within the recording studio, yet the audio sounds like the finished album mixes.

It's B-Roll companion footage, i.e. material that production companies send away to TV departments and press offices all around the world to produce news pieces of sorts.

Nice interview. I was at a Concert with him where he did a pre-concert talk, and he was inevitably asked if he sees himself as the next Williams. He said a great answer; "I don't want to be the next John Williams. I want to be the first Michael Giacchino.' I'm sure he's sick of that question now.

Some clips with score:

This one is a little different, as the beginning is a condensed scene leading to the clip, but the choral part that kicks in at 0:51 sounds like Giacchino:

Thanks for that!

Wow, I like all the score in all the clips! Can't wait!

Nice. Loving the flavour of the music. I'm not watching any clips because I have no idea what the film is or what it's about and I don't want to. I want to go in blind. The first clip has a lovely moment that is clearly a theme or the main theme. It's exactly what I expected from him, a light and fun score. Perfect considering how Inside Out will be much heavier and emotional and Jurassic World is most likely 90% action material.

OK, here's my first impression....

(Note: I shouldn't even be qualified to give one, since I listened to the first 15 minutes through smartphone speakers while getting ready this morning, then the next 30 minutes while driving to work dealing with more road construction and detours than usual, then the rest through computer speakers at low volume while beginning my work day which included catching up on a lot of email..... well here I go anyway)

It's good but not great. There's some "sense of wonderment" music, some action music, some mickey-mousey music and some fun electronics. There is one recurring idea that is very reminiscent of Tilton's SimCity score. What's really nice is the variety of the action music. Some take a cue from Ratatouille, some from Seiter's Star Trek game score, some from LOST, and some from his modern Star Trek / John Carter style.

The presentation seems very long, as usual a 50 minute version might have been a more ideal introduction to the score before digging into the whole thing.

If there is a main theme that ties it all together I didn't pick it up in my fractured first listen. I did notice a theme for the bad guys, though.

I'm going to listen to it for the rest of the day and will post more thoughts!

~~~~~~

BTW, here are the track times, something we didn't know until today

1. A Story About the Future 0:54
2. A Prologue 1:29
3. You’ve Piqued My Pin-Trist 3:27
4. Boat Wait, There’s More! 1:08
5. Edge of Tomorrowland 5:18
6. Casey v Zeitgeist 1:23
7. Home Wheat Home 0:43
8. Pin-Ultimate Experience 4:54
9. A Touching Tale 1:37
10. World’s Worst Shop Keepers 3:34
11. Just Get In the Car 1:42
12. Texting While Driving 0:48
13. Frank Frank 1:18
14. All House Assault 4:04
15. People Mover and Shaker 5:27
16. What An Eiffel! 6:57
17. Welcome Back, Walker! 2:32
18. Sphere and Loathing 2:21
19. As the World Burns 4:24
20. The Battle of Bridgeway 2:52
21. The Hail Athena Pass 1:00
22. Electric Dreams 4:41
23. Pins of a Feather 5:19
24. End Credits 5:27
Total Time: 1 hour, 13 minutes
That "Origins of Plus Ultra" music doesn't appear to be on here.

Nice interview. I was at a Concert with him where he did a pre-concert talk, and he was inevitably asked if he sees himself as the next Williams. He said a great answer; "I don't want to be the next John Williams. I want to be the first Michael Giacchino.' I'm sure he's sick of that question now.

People really ask him that personally?

Man I hope that doesn't make him pass on a Star Wars film because he wants to quit that idea to people...

Well, he did Jurassic World at least, thankfully...

1. A Story About the Future 0:54

A quiet intro followed by a nice series of fanfaric horns. I wonder if this is the opening logos music?

2. A Prologue 1:29

More quiet music, string-based, building an intriguing, mysterious atmosphere. A melody comes in, but the tone stays the same.

3. You’ve Piqued My Pin-Trist 3:27

Begins with music similar to the last track, then halfway through it switches to introduce the SimCity-esque theme. After the first run through, its joined by nice piano melody and electronics.

4. Boat Wait, There’s More! 1:08

Builds to a really fun climax featuring funky electronics!

5. Edge of Tomorrowland 5:18

Sounds to me like this could be the music for the robots invading Clooney's home. A really throw-back-y electronic / plucked string combo is used a bit of a theme punctuating the track a few times. There's a nice heroic fanfare 2/3s of the way through,

6. Casey v Zeitgeist 1:23

The first half of the track is a quiet buildup to the second half, which is a fun robotic sort of march under a horn melody.

7. Home Wheat Home 0:43

What the!? The ending of this features a shocked outburt from the choir!

8. Pin-Ultimate Experience 4:54

Starts off with an explosive fanfare before seguing to the SimCity-eque theme again. Fun, full of wonderment, probably for Casey seeing Tomorrowland in its glory for the first time.

9. A Touching Tale 1:37

A nice track with what I think is a recurring theme in the score.

10. World’s Worst Shop Keepers 3:34

Love these! Sneaky unscore punctuated by grand piano chords, then a passage that leads to a Ratatouille-esque ending action bit. Awesome piano work in the action material. A super fun track!

11. Just Get In the Car 1:42

The action / suspense continues, with a nice little melody introduced halfway through. More fun piano work at the end!

12. Texting While Driving 0:48

Similar to the last track, but now with some nice chimes. The percussion at the end reminds me of Seiter's Star Trek game score.

13. Frank Frank 1:18

Quiet underscore.

14. All House Assault 4:04

An all-out action track! Alternates between a string ostinato and percussion-y action music reminding me of Seiter's Star Trek game score. A fun pizzacato passage starts around 3 minutes in.

15. People Mover and Shaker 5:27

A lengthy exploration of the SimCity theme, with some more nice pizzacato passages.

16. What An Eiffel! 6:57

An interesting melancholy horn theme gives way to an exploration of a new theme, ending with another nice fanfare.

17. Welcome Back, Walker! 2:32

More suspense building

18. Sphere and Loathing 2:21

And some more suspense building, with some nice twinkly bits and fun piano runs.

19. As the World Burns 4:24

Something bad has happened here! Another melancholy but noble horn passages plays afterward.

20. The Battle of Bridgeway 2:52

Full on Giacchino-style action!

21. The Hail Athena Pass 1:00

Essentially a continuation of the previous track, providing a nice climax followed by a bonus bit of action, and then two false endings followed by a stinger each time.

22. Electric Dreams 4:41

A very lovely cue! Features nice dreamy music, a nice piano passage, and a choir. Feels like the emotional climax of the story.

23. Pins of a Feather 5:19

After a short buildup we get the SimCity theme again, followed by a second half exploring the emotional theme from What an Eiffel! A nice upbeat version of the SimCity theme ends the track in a glorious fashion.

24. End Credits 5:27

The first half is a huge, upbeat exploration of the SimCity theme, and the second half is of the emotional theme. A nice arrangement!

Off to have my third listen!

Not the exact theme, its just reminiscent of Chris Tilton's score to the 2013 game.

I heard three major themes:

1. The SimCity variant, whose production values seem to outstrip SimCity by a fair margin, even if the melody is only about 80 percent as pleasant as Tilton's. It's really a striking similarity, though, considering that Tilton is thought of as Giacchino's protegé. Imagine Williams quoting the family theme from Jurassic Park III in Episode VII.
  2. The rising noble theme that shows up in softer and louder variations. It's a sort of inside-out cousin of the Jones family theme from the last two Indy movies. (Once you hear the similarity, you can't unhear it.)
  3. Maybe I'm mistaking a variation on one of the above for a separate theme, but I keep hearing a series of intervals that reminds me of "The Giant's Castle" from Puss in Boots (a highly underrated theme, by the way, whose concert suite is the highlight of that score and one of the best things Henry Jackman has composed.)

I found Tomorrowland infinitely more satisfying than Jupiter Ascending [dodges flying jewel cases]. It's nice to have Giacchino back in whimsical easy-listening mode rather than endless-peril-and-deep-meaning mode. For the past year or so, everything he's done has sounded like LOST.

Here are the themes I noticed on my last listen

I have no idea what any of them represent without having scene the film so I came up with crude identifiers for now

Opening Theme - very first thing you hear in the score, easy to pick out. It gets a b section later

01 A Story About The Future 0:00-0:18

09 A Touching Tale 0:00-1:15

15 People Mover and Shaker 2:15-2:32

22 Electric Dreams 0:50-1:16, 1:50-

23 Pins of a Feather 2:02-2:30, 2:45-2:57, 3:20-3:38

24 End Credits 2:58-3:53, 4:31-5:06

7-Note Theme - reminds me of Window to the Past and The Auction from War Horse

01 A Story About The Future 0:18-0:32

05 Edge of Tomorrowland 3:12-3:45, 4:25-4:32, 4:50-5:00

16 What An Eiffel! 0:15-0:30, 1:20-4:00, 4:10-4:17, 5:15-6:06, 6:24-6:30

23 Pins of a Feather 4:31-5:16

24 End Credits 1:37-2:22, 2:37-2:50

Main Theme - ?

01 A Story About The Future 0:32-0:45

02 You’ve Piqued My Pin-Trist 2:23-3:20

07 Home Wheat Home 0:00-0:27

24 End Credits 0:00-1:15

Tomorrowland Theme - The one that sounds like SimCity

02 You’ve Piqued My Pin-Trist 1:38-2:23

08 Pin-Ultimate Experience 0:32-

15 People Mover and Shaker 2:40-

23 Pins of a Feather 0:51-2:02, 2:57-3:20, 3:47-4:31

Thoughts / Corrections?

UPDATED LIST AVAILABLE HERE: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24801&p=1130864

I wish this didn't keep happening to me. Others are listening to it and I desperately search for a way to hear it. It wont work for me in i-tunes or spotify. I must live in a dark zone clouded with anti-enjoyment drones.