The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

DC really ain't wasting no time!

'Justice League' Movie To Hit May 2017, 'Wonder Woman' & 'Green Lantern'/'Flash' Crossover Coming Same Year

• May 2016 – Batman v Superman

• July 2016 – Shazam

• Xmas 2016 – Sandman

• May 2017 – Justice League

• July 2017 – Wonder Woman

• Xmas 2017 – Flash and Green Lantern team-up

• May 2018 – Man Of Steel 2

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure we'll have to wait until the San Diego Comic Con in July for confirmation since this is coming from a gossip writer. DC was probably waiting to have a big panel announcement.

'Justice League' Movie To Hit May 2017, 'Wonder Woman' & 'Green Lantern'/'Flash' Crossover Coming Same Year

• July 2016 – Shazam

• Xmas 2016 – Sandman

Sandman and the Flash and Green Lantern team-up will probably be going up against Star Wars movies and Man of Steel 2 will be going up against Avengers 3. Yup, that seems like a good plan.

DC's main problem for waiting so long to get in the game is that they're going up against established franchises in May and December. Not sure what else they can do at this point, they're not going to bury big budget launch films in February

November would be a better month than December maybe. It certainly worked for the Harry Potter movies that were released then and perhaps having the May one released in June or July.

Captain Marvel was invented in the 40s. Marvel Comics didn't exist until 1961

Captain Marvel was created in 1939 and first published by Fawcett Comics. The company that ultimately became Marvel began as Timely Publications in 1939 -- and their first issue was Marvel Comics #1 in that year, coincidentally -- but didn't adopt the Marvel name until 1961.

Production of Captain Marvel had ended in the fifties because DC sued Fawcett because Captain Marvel was so similar to Superman. Fawcett agreed to not publish Captain Marvel. Superhero comics fell out of favor, but came back in the sixties. Fawcett couldn't bring back Captain Marvel, so DC licensed the IP from them, but since Marvel was now the rival company, they published Captain Marvel under his catchphrase, Shazam! Since then, many people think that's his name instead of Captain Marvel.

It's very confusing, but it really has to do with copyright and license and what happens when they expire or don't litigate for decades.

DC's main problem for waiting so long to get in the game is that they're going up against established franchises in May and December. Not sure what else they can do at this point, they're not going to bury big budget launch films in February

With many studios booking release dates so far in advance (as far up to December 2018), the good spots are being claimed quickly. Studios are going to have to start thinking of outside-the-box dates if the summer or holiday spots are already taken by somebody else. The Lego Movie did so well opening in early February, that WB booked February 2017 and February 2018 for their next animated movies. Not to mention they booked a Lego spinoff film, Ninjago for late September 2016.

Studios ought to try that method more often. It worked out twice for Lionsgate -- The Hunger Games opened in March 2012, became the biggest non-sequel opening ever ($152M) and spawned a new franchise. (However the sequels took over the pre-Thanksgiving spot occupied by Twilight and Harry Potter.) Now that Divergent is another success story, the studio is sticking to the late March weekend for the three sequels as well.

Hell, even October is fair game, as Gravity demonstrated. I'm still stunned it pulled in summer-sized numbers in a typically slow month, but that's the power of word-of-mouth and the quality of the movie for you.

I actually read the first Shazam comic book (Dutch version) as a kid. I think he had to shout Shazam in order to change into a man with superpowers. It's just another Pepsi version of Supes.

• July 2016 – Shazam

• Xmas 2016 – Sandman

Sandman and the Flash and Green Lantern team-up will probably be going up against Star Wars movies and Man of Steel 2 will be going up against Avengers 3. Yup, that seems like a good plan.

Dates can, and do, change. WB originally had the final Harry Potter film slated to open May 2011, but changed it to mid-July. (Even the reviled Green Lantern was slated for mid-December 2010 before moving to June 2011.) Marvel Studios originally had The Avengers slated to open in mid-July 2011 before moving to May 2012.

Would not surprise me if WB schedules Sandman and the Green Lantern/Flash team-up films in the pre-Thanksgiving spots (November 18, 2016 and November 17, 2017) if they find themselves going against Avatar 2 or more Star Wars. But the week before Christmas can be pretty lucrative too. Better legs during that period too.

• 2 months later...

Willing to bet money Aquaman will be that August 2016 movie WB slated. They already have Jason Momoa locked in the role and have two scripts in development simultaneously.

• 1 month later...

WB dropped a huge bombshell at the shareholders meeting.

- Suicide Squad, directed by David Ayer, is the second DC film for 2016.

- Wonder Woman will get her own film, set for 2017.

- The cast of Batman v. Superman will return for Justice League Part 1 in 2017, with Part 2 following in 2019.

- Shazam, starring the Rock, will be a 2019 release.

- Jason Momoa is indeed playing Aquaman, and he'll get his own film in 2018.

- Ray Fisher will also get his spinoff, Cyborg, slated for 2020.

- Ezra Miller will play The Flash, which is also a 2018 release. (No word on whether he'll cameo in Dawn of Justice.)

- A Green Lantern reboot is also slated for 2020.

- Not mentioned in the press release were that separate Batman and Superman films are also in the works, but don't have dates yet.

They had to counteract the Robert Downey Jr. joining Captain America 3 bombshell from yesterday.

But that's the weird thing. I mean DC has Batman and Superman. The 2 biggest names in the field. The closest Marvel has comic book wise is Spider-man, and they cant even make a movie with him.

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, GOTG are actually pretty second rate compared to Supes and The Bat.

It's funny to see how people complain about how WB/DC needs to get their act together, but then complain when they do. And whenever Marvel does something similar, the same people applaud it.

At this point, the only thing I really care about is Doctor Strange. Beyond that, DC and Marvel have overstayed their welcome with me. DC lost me without Nolan, and Marvel loses me whenever Whedon isn't involved.

But that's the weird thing. I mean DC has Batman and Superman. The 2 biggest names in the field. The closest Marvel has comic book wise is Spider-man, and they cant even make a movie with him.

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, GOTG are actually pretty second rate compared to Supes and The Bat.

Yep, but all the other DC superheroes are pretty much second rate when compared to Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, GOTG. The DC superheroes seem so obscure compared to the Marvel ones (I mean, I had never heard of Shazam or Aquaman until recently). Is it just an impression I have, or does anyone outside of the US feel the same way?

I feel like Aquaman and The Flash are pretty well known over here.

Here DC are announcing release dates for movies for the next 5 years even though they have no idea if even one of these characters is going to work on screen. They trying to catch up on Marvel by going way too quickly and that might backfire at them.

Yup.

The issue I have is that Marvel is doing it right. It feels right. They're truly taking time to create a cinematic universe. The only movie that Marvel got wrong was Incredible Hulk. They've been pretty spot on.

DC already got Superman wrong (their first entry into this larger world). And now they're cramming everyone in the second movie. it smacks of desperation, not competition.

Look at this, Warner Brothers is going nuts!

2016 will see the release of the previously-confirmed Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but also the Suicide Squad movie has now been placed in the August 5, 2016 release date. Additional releases for the year will include the previously-reported LEGO Ninjago on September 23 and the "Harry Potter" spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on November 18.
2017 will see the release of the just-announced The LEGO Batman Movie on May 26, 2017 with a Wonder Woman solo film coming June 23 and the Zack Snyder-directed Justice League Part One, featuring Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles, on November 10.
2018 will see the release of two solo DC films with The Flash on March 23, 2018, starring The Perks of Being a Wallflower and We Need to Talk About Kevin's Ezra Miller in the title role, in addition to Aquaman, starring Jason Momoa, on July 27. We'll also get a sequel to The LEGO Movie on May 25 and the second Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them later that year.
In 2019, WB will release Shazam, starring Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam, on April 5, 2019, and Justice League Part Two, once again to be directed by Zack Snyder, on June 14, 2019 .
2020 brings us two more solo films with Cyborg, starring Ray Fisher, on April 3, 2020 and a reboot of Green Lantern on June 19. A third Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will also be released later that year.
Furthermore WB has also confirmed that solo films for both Batman and Superman are also in development though no release date has been set for either.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=124052

What happened to Zach Snyder? All of a sudden he's making four Superman (and friends) movies in a row with all the same cast members, and all kinds of restrictions from comic book executives about how the films have to go? Way to stifle someone's creativity for more than half a decade.

Here's a better summary

- "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," directed by Zack Snyder (2016)

- "Suicide Squad," directed by David Ayer (2016)

- "Wonder Woman," starring Gal Gadot (2017)

- "Justice League Part One," directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles (2017)

- "The Flash," starring Ezra Miller (2018)

- "Aquaman," starring Jason Momoa (2018)

- "Shazam" (2019)

- "Justice League Part Two," directed by Zack Snyder (2019)

- "Cyborg," starring Ray Fisher (2020)

- "Green Lantern" (2020)

Sheesh.