The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else like to daydream about what the third Batman film could have been if Burton had stayed on to direct?  I mean, Brad Dourif was going to play the Scarecrow!  A Danny Elfman theme for a Brad Dourif Scarecrow..... sigh.... what could have been.

Not really. I never had any idea where they'd take it after such a downer ending to the second one. I heard the news that Michael Keaton was quitting and I just figured the movies were over.

Burton didn't have it in him to do another one. Schumacher gave the series a pulse again. And I love Batman and Batman Returns but there's somehow a finality to the ending of BR that I'm satisfied they didn't fuck it all up with a #3.

4 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Burton didn't have it in him to do another one. Schumacher gave the series a pulse again. And I love Batman and Batman Returns but there's somehow a finality ending of BR that I'm satisfied they didn't fuck it all up with a #3.

But Brad Dourif as Scarecrow!  That would've been amazing.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Besides, Jeffrey Jones wouldn't be able to come back since he was revealed as a pedophile or whatever.  Beetlejuice without Jeffrey Jones?  No way!

Wouldn't he be too old anyway?

25 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Anyone else remember when he was in that weird alien show at Disney World?

Do you mean Alien Encounter?  I don't remember him being in that.

I have fond memories of that thing from when I was 12-13, but by the time I made it back, I was 15 years older and it had changed to some Lilo and Stitch thing that wasn't scary at all.  At the time, it weirdly seemed more like a Universal Studios attraction than a Disney World attraction (given the intensity of the scares it was trying to give you)

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Beetlejuice doesn't need a sequel.  Please don't make a Beetlejuice sequel.

They made a musical for some bizarre reason, so it is “in” the public conscious, at the moment. 

Beetlejuice is a perfect film, for me. Never gets old or fails to entertain. 

That's how I feel about the Burton movies from that time period. Edward Scissorhands was always a bit too schmaltzy for me and The Nightmare Before Christmas...whatever that is. He went out on a career high with Ed Wood.

I think his best period ends with Big Fish (if you ignore POTA....).

I love Mars Attacks, Sleepy Hollow, and Big Fish! I just can't leave them out.

Charlie marks the beginning of the descent into pathetic self parody.

43 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Charlie marks the beginning of the descent into pathetic self parody

Corpse Bride is a respectable, earnest film, where Danny Elfman's weird descent into monochrome serves the austerity of the setting well. 

Sweeney Todd is great, too. I checked out after Alice in Wonderland, 'cause it seemed Burton did, too. "Non-conformity" can be a very strict form of conformity.

Also, Nightmare Before Christmas feels very much like a Henry Selick film.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 7:30 PM, Jay said:

Not a fan of Mars Attacks! ?

I find people love it or hate it. Surely there are those in between but I don't know any.

It's so connected to the movie for me, that I'm not sure if I just love the movie, or love the score independently as well.  Certainly you don't need any more than the original highlights album.  It's a very low-key score, especially for a Burton movie.  Lots of Americana color, some circusy music.  More in line with his late 1990s stuff like A Simple Plan than anything else, although with some nice pleasing melody resolution that doesn't pop up in that score.