• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jay

DC Cinematic Universe Thread

1974 posts in this topic

Nobody knew Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man was a second tier character before the movie.

It's funny to see how people complain about how WB/DC needs to get their act together, but then complain when they do. And whenever Marvel does something similar, the same people applaud it.

I can't speak fr others, but I never said WB/DC needed to get their act together or applauded Marvel when they did.

I feel like Aquaman and The Flash are pretty well known over here.

That's why I said "Someone outside of the US!"

Nobody knew Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man was a second tier character before the movie.

I knew someone was going to say that. I'm not trying to say that these films are bound to fail. I'm just saying that DC is taking more risks because, while Marvel was bringing already well established characters on screen and thus had a bit less pressure on each film, here, DC has to not only make these characters known to the public but make good films too.

I still believe Iron Man was more well known than those secondary DC superheroes (again, just an impression I have), and anyway, when they worked on Iron Man, I don't remember Marvel announcing release dates for superheroes movies for the next 5 year then. They took a risk one step at a time here and only started planning further ahead when each of the superheroes were well established and the first movies of each franchise were hits.

As for Guardians Of The Galaxy: yes, they were unknown, but by then, all of the Marvel films did well and even if GOG had failed, they could still compensate that failure with the succes of their previous Captain America/Iron Man/etc. movie and the upcoming ones.

Here DC are announcing release dates for movies for the next 5 years even though they have no idea if even one of these characters is going to work on screen. They trying to catch up on Marvel by going way too quickly and that might backfire at them.

Here DC are announcing release dates for movies for the next 5 years even though they have no idea if even one of these characters is going to work on screen. They trying to catch up on Marvel by going way too quickly and that might backfire at them.

Yup.

The issue I have is that Marvel is doing it right. It feels right. They're truly taking time to create a cinematic universe. The only movie that Marvel got wrong was Incredible Hulk. They've been pretty spot on.

DC already got Superman wrong (their first entry into this larger world). And now they're cramming everyone in the second movie. it smacks of desperation, not competition.

Look at this, Warner Brothers is going nuts!

2016 will see the release of the previously-confirmed Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but also the Suicide Squad movie has now been placed in the August 5, 2016 release date. Additional releases for the year will include the previously-reported LEGO Ninjago on September 23 and the "Harry Potter" spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on November 18.
2017 will see the release of the just-announced The LEGO Batman Movie on May 26, 2017 with a Wonder Woman solo film coming June 23 and the Zack Snyder-directed Justice League Part One, featuring Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles, on November 10.
2018 will see the release of two solo DC films with The Flash on March 23, 2018, starring The Perks of Being a Wallflower and We Need to Talk About Kevin's Ezra Miller in the title role, in addition to Aquaman, starring Jason Momoa, on July 27. We'll also get a sequel to The LEGO Movie on May 25 and the second Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them later that year.
In 2019, WB will release Shazam, starring Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam, on April 5, 2019, and Justice League Part Two, once again to be directed by Zack Snyder, on June 14, 2019 .
2020 brings us two more solo films with Cyborg, starring Ray Fisher, on April 3, 2020 and a reboot of Green Lantern on June 19. A third Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them will also be released later that year.
Furthermore WB has also confirmed that solo films for both Batman and Superman are also in development though no release date has been set for either.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=124052

What happened to Zach Snyder? All of a sudden he's making four Superman (and friends) movies in a row with all the same cast members, and all kinds of restrictions from comic book executives about how the films have to go? Way to stifle someone's creativity for more than half a decade.

My wish is that these will be good, because I've always been more of a DC guy, but with Snyder at the helm of the tentpoles, I don't have a lot of faith.

Here's a better summary

- "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," directed by Zack Snyder (2016)

- "Suicide Squad," directed by David Ayer (2016)

- "Wonder Woman," starring Gal Gadot (2017)

- "Justice League Part One," directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles (2017)

- "The Flash," starring Ezra Miller (2018)

- "Aquaman," starring Jason Momoa (2018)

- "Shazam" (2019)

- "Justice League Part Two," directed by Zack Snyder (2019)

- "Cyborg," starring Ray Fisher (2020)

- "Green Lantern" (2020)

Sheesh.

Yea, big time.

Not to mention the fact that with the movie he's currently making - BvS:DOJ, coming out in 2016, and his next film - The Justice League - scheduled for 2017, he basically has to immediately move onto it after finishing on BvS.

Oh god, how many of these films is Hans Zimmer going to score?

Also I wonder who the villains will be in all these films. Will they go a cosmic route like Marvel did?

Sigh...I'm just waiting for the genre to finally crash and burn...

Given how the whole thing crashed in the first movie and seems to keep crashing in the second, I'm going to keep waiting for more GotG instead. Hell, and the Avengers seem like a more properly stupid thing than theses posters with Superman serious in the rain (agh) and Frank Miller's Batman AGAIN (aagh) and Wonder Woman in heels. (??)

Also I wonder who the villains will be in all these films. Will they go a cosmic route like Marvel did?

Well, the introduction of Superman as the first movie more or less pops the cherry on that one.

So as a demi-God, will Wonder Woman be as indestructible as Supes?

The thing I like about Batman, along with most of the Marvel characters, is that they can be killed without resorting to some mystical mumbo jumbo. There's more on the line when they fight.

That's some tremendous preasure on Snyder's shoulders. If Batman vs Superman doesn't deliver, all these plans could go down the drain

That's some tremendous preasure on Snyder's shoulders. If Batman vs Superman doesn't deliver, all these plans could go down the drain

I was thinking the same thing.

That's the biggest problem with their plan. Marvel doing the solo origin movies first gave them a safety net; if something didn't work they could recalibrate for the eventual team film. DC doesn't have that option, they're going straight for Justice League with only one prior release. If Dawn of Justice doesn't deliver they'll be in big trouble and they're current odds aren't the best given Man of Steel's shortcomings and Zach Snyder's fierce mediocrity as a director.

So as a demi-God, will Wonder Woman be as indestructible as Supes?

I don't know which version of the character they're using (probably the latest one), but I'd rather her be different to Supes on this regard.

That's the biggest problem with their plan. Marvel doing the solo origin movies first gave them a safety net; if something didn't work they could recalibrate for the eventual team film. DC doesn't have that option, they're going straight for Justice League with only one prior release. If Dawn of Justice doesn't deliver they'll be in big trouble and they're current odds aren't the best given Man of Steel's shortcomings and Zach Snyder's fierce mediocrity as a director.

I agree 100%. They must be really confident in the movie

They must be really confident in the movie

I know Steef is.

And how can it not be a hit? Everyone wants to see the new Bats fight against Supes. It's like the biggest gladiator fight of the modern world.

The issue I have is that Marvel is doing it right. It feels right. They're truly taking time to create a cinematic universe. The only movie that Marvel got wrong was Incredible Hulk. They've been pretty spot on.

DC already got Superman wrong (their first entry into this larger world). And now they're cramming everyone in the second movie. it smacks of desperation, not competition.

The thing is, why should WB do the exact same thing Marvel did? They'd be accused of copying them, and still do. I note that some fans complain "why didn't they announce the roster at NYCC?" and bitch about how uneventful the news came from a shareholder meeting. It was a smart business move to announce it a day after NYCC to catch people off guard. And I like how WB titled the movies they staked out for the next 5 years.

WB can really milk the next few years of SDCC by slowly unveiling more details about each film, it's not like they announced full cast & crew for all 10 of these movies at once.

Matching up the dates with the year, here's how the tentative roster goes:

March 25, 2016: Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

August 5, 2016: Suicide Squad

June 23, 2017: Wonder Woman

November 17, 2017: Justice League: Part 1

March 23, 2018: The Flash

July 27, 2018: Aquaman

April 5, 2019: Shazam

June 14, 2019: Justice League: Part 2

April 3, 2020: Cyborg

June 19, 2020: Green Lantern

I really hope they don't go with the whole stripper whory look for Harley Quinn. That has always pissed me off and seems like more catering to fanboy fantasies than to the essence of the character.

I much rather see something along these lines

Quinnz.jpg

Than this

Batman_arkham_knight_harley_quinn_by_iva