Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jay

DC Cinematic Universe Thread

1660 posts in this topic

The first one is too cartoonish. Doesn't fit with DC gritty and realistic cinematic universe. She will probably look a lot more like the second pic than the first one. Nicky Minaj might play her.

She was always more sexy by being so cute, than being sexy by showing skin and doning the most cliched sort of "sexy" costumes. Even down to the choice of accent

I'm really not, GP. It just loses all the cuteness for a pseudo goth look. But I'm sure that will be what they'll be going for in the movie

Is Harley a confirmed character? I know she's in the recent comics, so it's somewhat likely, but they have a decades-long history of Suicide Squad characters from before Harley even existed as a character, and dozens since, to pick from.

I hate articles you have to click 10 times to read instead of just being all on one page, but this one brings up some good points

10 Reasons DC’s Cinematic Universe Is Already Doomed

I've spent 10-15 minutes poking holes in that list... it's slanted towards Marvel and neglects to mention key things.

- The controversial casting reason, like Ben Affleck playing Batman, neglect to mention other similar 'contentious' casting choices like Heath Ledger, Michael Keaton, and Anne Hathaway for previous Batman films. (All three were well-received after their films came out.) Even Jennifer Lawrence's initial casting news as Katniss in The Hunger Games was ballyhooed by some book fans.

- Man of Steel's 'controversial' ending. Superman killed Zod in the comic books, and the massive destruction is a byproduct of the challenges he faces. He can't save everyone, and set reports indicate BVS will address that. As for the 56% 'rotten' rating on RT, it's indicative of how divisive it was. Folks either loved or hated it -- not many people in between.

- The less popular characters 'reason' bugs me. Marvel Studios, deprived of their biggest heroes (Spider-Man at Sony and X-Men at Fox) took one of their lesser-known characters, Iron Man, and made him a household name. It makes sense that WB would introduce the smaller characters like The Flash and Aquaman in an ensemble film first to gauge interest.

- The 'No TV crossover' reason also sticks out. Having them connected is cool in a way, but it restricts creativity on the film and TV side (I'm looking at Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.). It's been well-documented that WB intends to keep the TV and movie DC universes separate. Plus the acting isn't spectacular on "Arrow" and "The Flash." It makes sense to keep it separate.

- The so-called "no humor" mandate. The fact they're bringing in Cyborg and The Flash seems to indicate the exact opposite of what the writer is implying.

- No films until 2016 -- WB doesn't just consist of DC Comics. They make all kinds of films, and the reason Marvel Studios can put out 2-3 movies a year is because that's all they're focused on. WB needs to take their time and hopefully get it right as they prep for the 2-films-a-year goal Marvel and Disney are doing. I'd rather have a decent film in 2016 rather than a rushed product fast-tracked for next year.

- The 2-part Justice League film. A valid point on the 2-year gap, but like with any other studio, WB can and has shifted movies around. It could very well be a year-long gap depending on development and actors' schedules.

- Planning too far in advance? Excuse me? Marvel apparently has their movies planned up through 2021, and yet this person gripes when WB plants stakes on April 2020 and June 2020.

Thanks to the the number of movies in various stages of production, we have now entered the phase of endless superhero movie news updates

Batman has his Gotham series.

So Superman gets his... Krypton one?

Right, as if Smallville wasn't enough of a fan service. Let's try and extend it to a home planet that no longer exists (otherwise, it wouldn't be about Clark Kent).

I guess this is really no different than all of those cop procedurals that were everywhere in the 90s and early 00s.

I don't think Leto will play. He passed on Doctor Strange and he doesn't seem interested in comic-book movies. It'll probably be someone else.

They actually have some solid candidates for Wonder Woman in case McLaren passes on the gig, Babadook director Jennifer Kent and Homeland's Lesli Linka Glatter.

McLaren is a great candidate. Hopefully WB won't tie her hands like Marvel did with Alan Taylor on Thor: The Dark World.

Very sexist that a female director is sought for this film. This eliminates dozens of competent male directors simply on the basis of their gender!

There would be a big backlash if a male director directed Wonder Woman, and I can understand why. Never mind that a man created the feminist icon...

There are many competent woman directors who never get a chance to direct a studio movie, let alone a big budget movie. While I'm sure DC is specifically seeking a woman director for PR reasons, I'm happy for any doors it may open.

That's interesting isn't it? That film, film music and concert hall music are still male-dominated worlds. That kind of sucks.

I don't think Leto will play. He passed on Doctor Strange and he doesn't seem interested in comic-book movies. It'll probably be someone else.

That's funny, all I've read about Strange was that he was actively campaigning for the role, but didn't get it.