The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's always funny to me that people hate 300 but not Watchmen. It's like with Alien and Blade Runner. People loved Alien but hated Blade Runner. Personally, I saw the same hand of the same director and it was that signature that I loved. Both Watchmen and 300 are made with the same philosophy. Both Alien and Blade Runner are made with the same philosophy. Christopher Nolan saw it. I saw it. Why didn't you?

Alex

300 was almost entirely style with little substance, which is fine.   Same with the graphic novel. 

In Watchmen, I liked the substance of the graphic novel and even the changes that Snyder or whoever wrote it made.  As such, the movie worked much better for me.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Watchmen, I liked the substance of the graphic novel and even the changes that Snyder or whoever wrote it made.  As such, the movie worked much better for me.

In watchmen the substance is 99% Alan Moore. Snyder just translated it visually with stunning results.

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's always funny to me that people hate 300 but not Watchmen. It's like with Alien and Blade Runner. People loved Alien but hated Blade Runner. Personally, I saw the same hand of the same director and it was that signature that I loved. Both Watchmen and 300 are made with the same philosophy. Both Alien and Blade Runner are made with the same philosophy. Christopher Nolan saw it. I saw it. Why didn't you?

Alex

300 is absolutely a masterpiece of its genre. Watchmen is just so poorly conceived and executed. Watchmen to me is a failure, doesnt do justice to the great novel at all. 300 on the otherhand enhances and expands on the book.

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I saw it too, and quite a few months before you chimed in your opinion.

Gal Gadot actually became something of a sensation after BvS. Many people said she was the only worthwhile part of the film.

I'm sorry Alex, you didnt start any trends.

Yup!

23 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Watchmen is just so poorly conceived and executed. Watchmen to me is a failure ...

Funny, I love Watchmen for its execution and tone. To me they are cinematic adult comic books. BTW, Alien and Blade Runner also are inspired on adult comic books (Scott's fascination at the time with Metal Hurlant). In all these movies style is key.

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I saw it too, and quite a few months before you chimed in your opinion.

Gal Gadot actually became something of a sensation after BvS. Many people said she was the only worthwhile part of the film.

I'm sorry Alex, you didnt start any trends.

Really? I remember people saying Gadot couldn't add any depth to the character. I didn't care for that. I thought she was the only character that had some sort of joy, energy and charisma. And now she's a star! I should be in the talent scouting business.

I'm in for Batman. I very much enjoyed that stuff in Batman v Superman and not just because he murdered people and woke up in bed with a hot naked chick lying next to him and we never even saw her face. The Bruce/Alfred scenes were absolutely amazing but shockingly brief. I think Jeremy Irons was in the movie for a whole 5 minutes, if that? I want more!

• 4 weeks later...

Scorsese-produced Joker Origin Movie Coming Up

Reports seem to indicate it's the first film in a new DC Cinematic Universe (of sorts) separate from the one that has been developed so far (that started with Man of Steel), though it's not quite clear if this is in fact true, so I'll just put that news here at the moment.

I'm going to throw in my standard JWFan caveat that rumors reported by the trades and blogs, even reportedly well-sourced rumors, are not actual things until they're officially announced.

The Joker's origin story was already done back in 1989. If you compare that to what they did in "the comics" as everyone is such a big fan of these days, I don't see why the hell you wouldn't prefer Jack Napier killing Bruce Wayne's parents. The comics version is fucking atrocious.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

The whole point of the character is that there is no origin story. 

Only in Nolan's version is that true. 

Great name!

In "the comics", he's a failed comedian or something and his wife dies. The stories Heath Ledger told about getting the scars were better than that garbage.

Of course, all versions are superior to the Jared Leto version.