The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

After BvS and JL, they seemingly are abandoning their shared universe and doing a “throw things at the wall and see what sticks” method.

Theyre also dumping Affleck and Cavill, apparently, but still going on with WW2, Aquaman, and Flash - and at least one continuation of Suicide Squad, maybe more (rumors of straight sequels, Harley Quinn centric movies, etc)

I can’t understand why they would cancel MOS 2 but make sequels to Suicide Squad which was one of the worst movies I’ve seen.

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

I can’t understand why they would cancel MOS 2 but make sequels to Suicide Squad which was one of the worst movies I’ve seen.

Suicide Squad made more money than MoS both domestically and worldwide, and with a smaller budget than MoS.  And, Man of Steel has the added heft of two further financial "failures" with the character in BvS and Justice League.

2 hours ago, Romão said:

I'm calling it: after Lady Gaga becomes a oscar nominated actress next year, they will cast her as Poison IVY in Gotham City: Sirens

I'd dig it, she'd make a great Poison Ivy! 

Just now, mstrox said:

It made almost $750 million worldwide ($325 mill domestic) on a $175M production budget.

:(

Apparently I have mutual acquaintances with the dude who played Killer Croc, so I'm happy it was successful for him, but damn.

10 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Suicide Squad made more money than MoS both domestically and worldwide, and with a smaller budget than MoS.  And, Man of Steel has the added heft of two further financial "failures" with the character in BvS and Justice League.

But superman was barely in justice league and wasn’t even on the posters...

I understand the financial aspect but suicide squad was just hard to watch. Margot Robbie who is a great actress is so wasted in that movie

I thought it was dumb (although honestly I'd watch it again before I'd rewatch BvS).  At least it tried to be fun.

They just made a second XxX sequel in the year of our lord 2017 and it made almost $350M worldwide.  Movie companies don't care whether these movies are any good or not.

Suicide Squad is indeed terrible. Whole film is a mess. 

Having abandoned the MCU after the first Avengers film, I thought I could at least be socially relevant by keeping up with the DC films. But after watching Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman, and Justice League recently, I can happily abandon this as well.

I'll stick with real blockbuster filmmaking like Mission: Impossible!

24 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

But superman was barely in justice league and wasn’t even on the posters...

I understand the financial aspect but suicide squad was just hard to watch. Margot Robbie who is a great actress is so wasted in that movie

Top 3 worst DC movies of all time:

1. Suicide Squad

2. Wonder Woman

3. Aquaman (an educated guess)

27 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

How is Wonder Woman any worse than Superman 3 and 4? Supergirl? Batman and Robin?

No, Wonder Woman is more like Black Panther. Inoffensive but terribly bland. Sometimes this can be the worst type. Strangely enough, these two are some of the most critically acclaimed entries in the genre.

Karol

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No, Wonder Woman is more like Black Panther. Inoffensive but terribly bland.

You really think Black Panther was bland? Sure, the script is pretty pedestrian, but when it comes to the visuals, costume design and score, it has much, much more style and pizazz than the average comic book movie. 

7 minutes ago, John said:

You really think Black Panther was bland? Sure, the script is pretty pedestrian, but when it comes to the visuals, costume design and score, it has much, much more style and pizazz than the average comic book movie. 

I don't disagree. But script is kind of...the most important thing.

Karol

They put it on in the psychiatric facility where I was last detained and I fell asleep. 

Joaquin is a brilliant actor but I also find him fascinating to experience on a purely visual level because he looks more like an older more haggard version of his long lost brother these days. Just more masculine. I've been thinking for a while that these big budget franchises have needed a Phoenix to intervene. Unfortunately, the other one's been dead for like 25 years.

56 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Racist!

It's a shame really. Because I was really looking forward to both films. But they seem to be dealing with their characters and themes only on a very superficial level. Very disappointing.

Karol

11 hours ago, John said:

But blandly directed. Even the action or combat scenes were poorly done. That's why I ultimately couldn't finish the movie.

11 hours ago, crocodile said:

No, Wonder Woman is more like Black Panther. Inoffensive but terribly bland. Sometimes this can be the worst type. Strangely enough, these two are some of the most critically acclaimed entries in the genre.

Karol

I agree. It actually makes me wonder how people 'watch' a movie.

12 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

The others are fine.

Eh, Wonder Woman treated the audience as if they've never seen a superhero movie before. It's a weak copy of Superman The Movie. I think everyone should be insulted by it. Superman Returns is better.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Wonder Woman treated the audience as if they've never seen a superhero movie before. It's a weak copy of Superman The Movie.

Which is exactly the way to do a superhero movie.

Better than Superman the movie!

Black Panther, one of the better Marvel films, was most certainly bland. They're all bland. They sound the same, the look the same, they feel the same. 

That doesn't mean they can't be fun and clever and enjoyable. Sure, some are better than others, but they're all more or less the same film.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Chen G's taste in movies continues to shock me.

Better hope Chen doesn't go into a full throated defence of The Transformers franchise.  That kind of voltage would end you.

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Black Panther, one of the better Marvel films, was most certainly bland. They're all bland. They sound the same, the look the same, they feel the same. 

That doesn't mean they can't be fun and clever and enjoyable. Sure, some are better than others, but they're all more or less the same film.

Are there several films?

:sarcasm:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind Gunn working for DC* but does it have to be Suicide Squad? God, I hated that movie. Well, to be honest, I didn't even hate it, it was just very bad.

*OTOH, working for DC didn't do Joss Whedon much good so there's no reason to think this will change anything.

I think this might be a good opportunity to course correct for both DC and Gunn. 

The problem with the DC films is that Zack Snyder left his messy fingerprints all over the franchise and that really affected every facet of DC's cinematic universe because once you start with something, the base elements, it's hard to escape them and do something new. As far as I know, Marvel's Thor has been the only character to undergo an effective change due to the invigoration of Taika Waititi's take on the character. 

The DC films are doomed to be forever under the shadow of Snyder's gritty, dull, dark impression on the world. He fucked up both Superman and Batman, and Wonder Woman felt like it was trying to get away from that but couldn't.

Suicide Squad was a mess, a terrible waste too, hopefully Gunn, can have some influence to make the necessary changes that are going to take the DC cinematic universe out of the dregs, though honestly, I'm tired of all these superhero films and would gladly watch it crumble and burn. Wishful thinking can only get you so far...

29 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The DC films are doomed to be forever under the shadow of Snyder's gritty, dull, dark impression on the world.

That was exactly what DC initially wanted when they hired Snyder and Nolan to produce and direct their movies. And theoretically, I think it was a good way to distinguish themselves from Marvel. It's just that the results could have been better. The DC movies feel like a compromise. They are not really Snyder or Nolan movies, they are what they thought the DC suits wanted.