Williams' worst cue

EdwardHall

I think I'd add "Light My Way" from Rosewood to my list. Its placement in the film is obtrusive and unintentionally comedic. It's not much better on album either.

ROSEWOOD! Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.

I think I'd add "Light My Way" from Rosewood to my list. Its placement in the film is obtrusive and unintentionally comedic. It's not much better on album either.

ROSEWOOD! Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.

An elegant score for a more civilized age. That was before the dark times... before the Prequels.

"Mutt's Theme" is actually quite nice as a scherzo. The problem is that it does not, in my opinion, complement the character. Mutt was supposed to be an homage to James Dean and Marlon Brando type characters from the 1950s, but his theme is very childish. This strikes me as odd considering that John Williams was composing during the era in which the film was set. Not that I have any experience in scoring films, but I think his theme should have been something jazzy and cool. Williams' certainly has experience with that kind of music from all his Johnny Williams years.

I understand the criticism of the appropriateness of mutt's theme from the point of the view of film criticism--I do not understand how that is relevant as it pertains to the music itself. At the end of the day, the only thing I judge a piece of music on is its acoustic aesthetic value. The adventures of mutt is a fun and exciting piece that is cleverly orchestrated. Whether it was meant for Hitler, Mutt, or William's goldfish makes no difference in terms of appraising the piece of music itself.

I wish Williams had done something clever with "The Adventures of Mutt", like foreshadowing it with a similarly constructed theme with more of a 50's vibe to it. As is, it's still my favorite aspect of KOTCS and is a lot of fun to listen to.

I understand the criticism of the appropriateness of mutt's theme from the point of the view of film criticism--I do not understand how that is relevant as it pertains to the music itself. At the end of the day, the only thing I judge a piece of music on is its acoustic aesthetic value. The adventures of mutt is a fun and exciting piece that is cleverly orchestrated. Whether it was meant for Hitler, Mutt, or William's goldfish makes no difference in terms of appraising the piece of music itself.

It's a hoedown, more or less. Being 'cleverly orchestrated' is Williams' old-age answer to actually writing a great tune. He's writing little vignettes for the Boston Pops here more than anything else.

I'm probably the only one here who prefers Battle of the Heroes to both Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars. Yes the melody is simple, but that's its strength - it's like plainsong or organum with 20th century harmonies. Love the John Adamsish flourishes as well.

I will say though, I prefer the variations in The Boys Continue.

I actually agree with you. Of the three major prequel concert pieces, it's the least musically interesting, but something about it just goes straight to my core. I absolutely love it.

I'm probably the only one here who prefers Battle of the Heroes to both Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars. Yes the melody is simple, but that's its strength - it's like plainsong or organum with 20th century harmonies. Love the John Adamsish flourishes as well.

I will say though, I prefer the variations in The Boys Continue.

I actually agree with you. Of the three major prequel concert pieces, it's the least musically interesting, but something about it just goes straight to my core. I absolutely love it.

Agreed. Anakin's Betrayal should've been the chosen concert piece for the score.

The album has three good tracks. Main Theme (that is not used in the film). We Don't Wanna Grow Up. Banning Back Home ... The rest of the is too Disney-esque. I did like it at one point but the music so overembellished that it makes me nervous.

The album has three good tracks. Main Theme (that is not used in the film). We Don't Wanna Grow Up. Banning Back Home ... The rest of the is too Disney-esque. I did like it at one point but the music so overembellished that it makes me nervous.

It sounds like you listened to the first three tracks on the CD then fell asleep.

Main Theme (that is not used in the film).

Sure it is. Don't you notice that it's also in the OST track "Hook-Napped"? It further appears in the film during The Ultimate War.

It sounds like you listened to the first three tracks on the CD then fell asleep.

Did you miss the part when I wrote that I once liked it?

Sure it is. Don't you notice that it's also in the OST track "Hook-Napped"? It further appears in the film during The Ultimate War.

The theme is used but not the Main Theme track.

We Don't Grow Up makes me cringe.

You don't say.

The whole YOU ARE THE PAN cue revolves around this theme.

The theme is used but not the Main Theme track.

You're talking about the track called "Prologue", right? That was written and recorded for the film's first teaser trailer. This one:

The whole YOU ARE THE PAN cue revolves around this theme.

Nope, You Are The Pan uses a different them than the one in "Prologue"

You're talking about the track called "Prologue", right? That was written and recorded for the film's first teaser trailer. This one:

My right ear was jealous of my left ear, and my left ear got a buzz out of it.

Edit: Nevermind. My earphones weren't plugged in all the way. 90s VHS audio quality ftw.

Also... that transposition up a half-step...

surprised-gasp.jpg

The trailer is playing at the right speed; The original OST version is the one at the wrong speed. It was incorrectly downmixed from 48khz to 44.1khz when mastering the original album. On the LLL set, the disc 1 version maintains that incorrect speed, but the alternate trailer cue on disc 2 features the original recording at it's original correct speed.

The trailer is playing at the right speed; The original OST version is the one at the wrong speed. It was incorrectly downmixed from 48khz to 44.1khz when mastering the original album. On the LLL set, the disc 1 version maintains that incorrect speed, but the alternate trailer cue on disc 2 features the original recording at it's original correct speed.

So... this version is the incorrect tempo and transposition?

And the trailer you posted is the correct tempo?

Correct and correct.

The OST CD and Disc 1 of the LLL set is wrong; The trailer and Disc 2 of the LLL set is right.

Theme from Hook.

Which one?

prologue

I like Banning

We have learned from Jason that the prologue really only consists of one theme that starts after 30 seconds. Now only Alex must explain himself if he really hates that theme...or indeed the sugary HOME ALONE-like melody that actually is the main theme of the film.

We have learned from Jason that the prologue really only consists of one theme that starts after 30 seconds. Now only Alex must explain himself if he really hates that theme...or indeed the sugary HOME ALONE-like melody that actually is the main theme of the film.

Yeah, I have to agree. It's rather saccharine, even in the minor key.

I meant Prologue. It sounds like it's the main theme for Hook but somehow it isn't the main theme, right? Very odd. I'm sure it's written as a main theme, just like Star Wars, Raiders, Superman, ...

These are actually two themes, the minor mode call to adventure theme opening it and a bright swashbuckling tune more in keeping with Korngold. Both were written prior to the score proper and Williams inserted them in the movie at some key places (Peter's first flight, the whole war sequence) while probably discovering that the sweet theme he labelled GRANNY WENDY on the soundtrack was actually much more fitting for the more syrupy scenes of the movie. They first ones are not really the film's main theme though.

Yes, but I'm sure Williams wrote it with "main theme" in mind. Pure instinctively and thus without knowing the background, it sounds like one. It even opens the album, just like Star Wars, Superman and Raiders. I always considered Granny's Theme to be a character theme. Williams probably expected a different movie. ;)

Speaking of fugues, John Williams "Fugue for Changing Times" from his 1985 batch of NBC music is absolutely terrific. The only recording I have is from an awful, compressed YouTube version, but it's much better than nothing.

There's a high quality version over at www.networknewsmusic.com! Victor has so much great stuff put together. Great site.

http://www.networknewsmusic.com/wp/before-hours-close-the-mission-part-ii/

Only think no one can seem to find is the NEW Meet The Press theme (2011 onward).