Silvestri writing new Back To The Future music

Jay

I still haven't heard this new music in a live setting.  I missed this show when it came to Boston.  My coworker who went said it was a lot of fun

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Still seems very stupid to completely remove Back In Time. It's a movie they never should have modified. It's perfect as it is.

They don't play Back in Time through the speakers at the end of the movie? That's a curious decision considering it's so iconic and we would still get to hear Silvestri music afterwards. Weird. 

8 hours ago, Jay said:

They don't play Back in Time through the speakers at the end of the movie? That's a curious decision considering it's so iconic and we would still get to hear Silvestri music afterwards. Weird. 

That's what people here have claimed anyway. I sort of understand that it would be weird to have a song while the orchestra is just standing there (people might assume it's all over and just go), but that leads me back to the point I made earlier, BTTF is no concert movie.

That one makes a little more sense to me, as the Rage song isn't necessarily iconic there, and Davis did write an original cue for all the footage it plays over.  But Back In Time is different!

Bolle is right though, it might be weird for the orchestra to sit there for 3 minutes while credits rolled before resuming.  At least with the LOTR LTP concerts, even though the end credits all start with a song, the orchestra still plays the music for each song.

What percentage of concert goers to that show do you think realized they are hearing something different than usual there?

I dunno man, as someone who was in middle/high school when The Matrix was hugely popular, I can tell you that a lot of people thought that moment was the HEIGHT of badassery.  A lot of my classmates became RATM fans based on that needle drop.

I believe it!

But how man of THOSE people are aware of this concert let alone ponied up to go to it?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What percentage of concert goers to that show do you think realized they are hearing something different than usual there?

Dunno, don't most people who go to these concerts decide to go because they love the movies and want to watch it again? As I understood it, people like us are a HUGE minority. I bet 99% of them don't know Alan Silvestri's name.

Oh I know, but it was more of a general remark. I think the majority of film concertgoers are lovers of the film and therefore would expect pop songs to be retained. Belgian audiences didn't care about orchestral end credit suites anyway.

I know it has been mentioned before but it is so odd you hear music from Part III in this. It's not that I'm unhappy to hear it. Just feels bit out of place. But then, you hear The Lost World material in Jurassic Park so there's that. ;)

Karol

That doesn't really bother me per se. What bothers me more is that that love theme from III seems totally inappropriate for Lorraine daydreaming about her first meeting with George because, ultimately, their relationship is doomed in that reality, while the theme is quite optimistic and romantic. I'd quite like to hear a clip of that live scene.

I guess the ones in the audience who are having the best time with all this are the ones who have not seen the film or experienced any of this music.

On the other hand, these ones are in for a rude awakening when they see the film on DVD or at a theatre, to re-live that night at the concert, and notice all the extra music from the concert isn't there in the film sound-mix. 

I can picture someone listening to that "Back In Time" song that starts the end credits and say,  "What is that crap doing there?  I know I didn't hear that at the concert! WTF!"

• 2 years later...