What is that instrument?

Sharkissimo

Google " singing bowls", or youtube it. usually you just tap them with a stick to make this beautiful, resonate sound. But contemporary people use them in a spooky setting, where they put them on a timpani ( to help with projection and timbre) and bow across the bowl to achieve that sound. You also hear the pitch bend, which can be done with the pedal of the timpani. This recording is quite noise, so there might also be other percussion instruments at use, for example special cymbals that are cut into weird shapes that you can bow to make an eerie effect like that. Also sounds like there might be some crystal glass type sounds, which can be achieved in a number of ways, as well as some electronics, later in.

It sounds like metal being rubbed or bowed then processed maybe with delays and panning. At 1:45 of this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHg71ZVUEJ8&feature=player_detailpage#t=112

it is an acoustic instrument which is basically a large sheet of metal with various lengths of poles to play a note. The pole is then bowed and I would imagine in a high register with delay you'll get a similar effect if you play adjacent notes.

Google " singing bowls", or youtube it. usually you just tap them with a stick to make this beautiful, resonate sound. But contemporary people use them in a spooky setting, where they put them on a timpani ( to help with projection and timbre) and bow across the bowl to achieve that sound. You also hear the pitch bend, which can be done with the pedal of the timpani. This recording is quite noise, so there might also be other percussion instruments at use, for example special cymbals that are cut into weird shapes that you can bow to make an eerie effect like that. Also sounds like there might be some crystal glass type sounds, which can be achieved in a number of ways, as well as some electronics, later in.

Yes, it does have that sound but I still think there is post-processing going on too.

I think that's the answer! 
It sounds like metal being rubbed or bowed then processed maybe with delays and panning.  At 1:45 of this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHg71ZVUEJ8&feature=player_detailpage#t=112it is an acoustic instrument which is basically a large sheet of metal with various lengths of poles to play a note.  The pole is then bowed and I would imagine in a high register with delay you'll get a similar effect if you play adjacent notes.
Interesting. Reminds me of the steel cello.

Waterphone rubbed with a superball mallet for the 'moaning' - https://soundcloud.com/alexissavelief/megabass-waterphone-superball_rubbed with bowed cymbals, gongs and other metallic items.

Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard a waterphone sound so "massive" as in the Shore clip above, or play such extremely long glissandi.

I think I found the answer:

Especially at 1:13 and 1:27. I love the sound it makes.

I think that's one of the sounds (probably through a delay or reverb unit), but there's much higher glissandi that sound like bowed singing bowls on timpani (starting at around A5).

• 3 weeks later...

The Se7en clip to me sounds like a bowed cymbal of some sort, maybe related to the "pitched gongs" from the DOS score.

Anybody have an idea what the instrument is at 0:47?

Also, what's the woody percussion effect that starts at 2:36 in this one?

The first one is really interesting. It sounds like a Tibetan throat singer, or a jaw harp with no attack and a long sustain. It's got that formant filterish quality.

The second is probably one of the many Taiko drums. They come in all sizes - ō-daiko, sanchō-gakke etc.

• 3 weeks later...

The first one is really interesting. It sounds like a Tibetan throat singer, or a jaw harp with no attack and a long sustain. It's got that formant filterish quality.

The second is probably one of the many Taiko drums. They come in all sizes - ō-daiko, sanchō-gakke etc.

I did some research and found both answers - I'm pretty sure the "Tide Pool" clip is the Indian singer Shore mentions in an interview with Doug Adams. The percussion sound in "Stargher King" is a Taiko frame hit. God what I would give to have a chance to look at the score for The Cell.

• 2 years later...

I'm feeling quite nostalgic all of a sudden and decided to give Handel's Water Music another listen. I then noticed this quirky little instrument accompanying the strings. Any thoughts, anyone? It starts at around 41:48.

Not sure what you're referring to specifically, there, but my guess is you're hearing the keyboards/plucked part of the continuo group, which probably has a portativ organ, one or more lutes or something similar, a harpsichord....  

Baroque music doesn't always have the most wild or difficult to pin down orchestration, but the timbres of the period instruments used can be enchantingly strange.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Loert said:

Also used in Star Wars VI:

from 1:04.

Thanks!  I notice that the tuned cowbells are either not part of the arrangement used on the ROTJ OST version of "The Forest Battle" or are buried in the mix.

OST version, where I only hear wood blocks:

The Boston Pops recording, with tuned cowbells:

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Thanks!  I notice that the tuned cowbells are either not part of the arrangement used on the ROTJ OST version of "The Forest Battle" or are buried in the mix.

I think it's there in the OST recording, only barely audible. The wood blocks are most prominent. Besides, cowbells vary, and may be played with different mallets etc., which could also be why they're not as bright in the OST recording as in the Boston Pops recording (or The Reivers, for that matter).

What is the instrument Richard Harvey is playing called?

Also, what is the name of the Chinese instrument at 2:12 in the video below? The sound appears for just a second or two.

• 1 month later...

What's doubling the trumpets on here? I hear a clarinet that leaves the note hanging a bit after the trumpets fade out in a particular ocassion, and I hear some horns that double but only for a bit. It seems to be a very particular trumpet sound that I can't think of another moment in JW's repertoire where there's so much unison but at the same time a really harsh sound. Any thoughts?

10 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

What's doubling the trumpets on here? I hear a clarinet that leaves the note hanging a bit after the trumpets fade out in a particular ocassion, and I hear some horns that double but only for a bit. It seems to be a very particular trumpet sound that I can't think of another moment in JW's repertoire where there's so much unison but at the same time a really harsh sound. Any thoughts?

Those are trumpets with oboes and clarinets in unison. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread with an even older question that's plagued me since the 90s...does anyone know exactly what type of drums are heard in the original The Lion King's "I Just Can't Wait to Be King"? You can hear the ones I'm talking about most clearly at the very beginning of the album version:

I hear Western drum kit cymbals (variously panned), talking drum (centered in the mix), and what sounds like some other sort of drum (heard as two different takes hard-panned to the left and right). It's the last drum that I'm wondering about. Anyone have any thoughts or leads?

• 3 years later...