Pixar announces Toy Story 4 coming 2017

Jay

I think Pixar has earned the right to make these movies. If they feel they have a good story to tell and the Toy Story franchise is the vehicle for them to do it, I'm fine with it.

I'm interested in seeing what they do with this movie. It might not be up to the level of the original movies but I'm not going to dismiss it simply because it has a 4 behind its title.

Toy Story has the benefit of good characters and a central premise that's relatable to anyone, regardless of age. I loved all 3.

The franchise where I feel Pixar properly prioritised BO over caring about the story was Cars. However, the Monsters and Nemo sequels were worth making so it's not all doom and gloom.

Funny; I thought the film balanced its tone very well, and dealt with by far the most mature themes in the trilogy. Coming to terms with one's own mortality and accepting your fate when there is no hope left has never been depicted better in any other kids' movie, or perhaps any other movie, for that matter.

It's the best of the three, in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, John said:

Funny; I thought the film balanced its tone very well, and dealt with by far the most mature themes in the trilogy. Coming to terms with one's own mortality and accepting your fate when there is no hope left has never been depicted better in any other kids' movie, or perhaps any other movie, for that matter.

It's the best of the three, in my opinion.

The highs of the movie are sensational, no doubt in my mind about that.

The ending is vomit-inducing saccharine, something neither of the first two movies ever stooped to. It's practically down on its knees begging the audience to shed tears at Andy being a creep. 

19 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Toy Story 3 is a great movie to use if you’re trying to teach children how to accept the slow horror of impending death with grace.

Nothing wrong with that plot line.  That is what makes "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam" (1048–1131) a timeless masterpiece.  It's a universal story.

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

The ending is vomit-inducing saccharine, something neither of the first two movies ever stooped to. It's practically down on its knees begging the audience to shed tears at Andy being a creep. 

And it works. And gets me every time. It is almost unbearably poignant.

The ending of Toy Story 3 makes me skeptical of the existence of this film. Why ruin something so perfect.

6 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I had no idea anyone else felt this way about it, but I agree completely. I couldn't for the life of me understand why no one else was put off by that ending when I saw it. Like you said, it's creepy and it goes on for way too long.

15 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

A talking spork? Just goes to show how they can slap any amount of utter bullshit into a Disney movie these days and people will still see it regardless.

For a corporation that’s been peddling “utter bullshit” to the masses for decades, they sure seem to make quite a few movies injected with some real talent and passion by their filmmakers. 

Some punching bags are very tired and worn out and useless. 

6 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

...how is he being a creep?

• 7 months later...

Well, in contrast to my reaction when I originally heard they were making a Toy Story 4 (*cough*cashgrab*cough)... I saw the film last night and really loved it. They did several surprising and new things with this story, and I really loved all of the new characters here. If by some chance years from now a Toy Story 5 is announced, I will remain cautiously optimistic that they actually have a good idea for a follow up, because this was one. I also really loved what they did fleshing out the character of Bo Peep, who was forgotten without explanation in Toy Story 3.

Newman wrote a couple new songs, but the score in particular stood out to me as a strong work, with some fun callbacks to previous cues in the series, but some good original stuff too.

Yavar

17 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I also really loved what they did fleshing out the character of Bo Peep, who was forgotten without explanation in Toy Story 3.

Towards the beginning of the third film, it was mentioned that she was given away along with several other toys between the events of 2 and 3. 

51 minutes ago, John said:

Towards the beginning of the third film, it was mentioned that she was given away along with several other toys between the events of 2 and 3. 

I don't recall that (only saw Toy Story 3 once in theater...not that I disliked it as some seem to, here). But if that's the case, well then the opening of Toy Story 4 (set "9 years ago") *sort of* retcons that. Bo Peep is given superb treatment in this film.

Yavar

I noticed that but I just figured it’s “9 years ago” from 2010-ish since Bonnie is the same age. And it’d make Andy about 9 in the flashback which makes sense.

All four of these are pretty much equally great as far as I’m concerned. Lovely movies.