BloodBoal

For example, the interior of the Bird Of Prey looks absolutely nothing like it did in The Search For Spock.

It was probably refitted on Vulcan.

Spock trying to remember who he was

I seem to remember there were some 1986 moments that had something to do with this.

I agree with BB. This fim is simply wonderful. The story itself isnt all that original or noteworthy. But the character scenes are top notch, there is a lot of fantastic dialogue and it's very very funny.

Such wonderful interplay between these characters. Spock and Kirk walking around in San Fransico!

This film has one of my fav Spock/McCoy scenes ever. When Bones tries to shoot the breeze with Spock about his death experience.

McCoy: Perhaps, we could cover a little philosophical ground. Life, death, life. Things of that nature.

Spock: I did not have time on Vulcan to review the philosophical disciplines.

McCoy: C'mon, Spock, it's me, McCoy. You really have gone where no man's gone before. Can't you tell me what it felt like?

Spock: It would be impossible to discuss the subject without a common frame-of-reference.

McCoy: You're joking!

Spock: A joke

Spock: is a story with a humorous climax.

McCoy: You mean I have to die to discuss your insights on death?

Spock: Forgive me, Doctor. I am receiving a number of distress calls.

McCoy: I don't doubt it

Just a brilliant little scene with good writing and actors who are completely familiar and at ease with each other and their roles.

Plot wise the film isnt flaw less. I guess. There is no reason why Kirk should take Gillian, even if she did jump him just in the nick of time. And while the hospital chase is fun, they could have simply beamed out.

But these are minor niggles. Just a great little gem of film film. And the "save the whale" message actually feels genuine.

Only, the effects for the whales are flawless.

Pity about the score....

Gillian should not have been able to be beamed aboard. Scotty locked onto Kirk's pattern and started to beam him aboard. When Gillian jumped into his arms, I don't know what should have happened, whether she fall immediately or hang for a moment before falling. But for the transporters to recalculate Kirk's pattern and bring her along and rematerialize her intact suggests that at any point, a transporter should randomly assume that a person includes the ground they're standing on, all the air around them, and maybe a few square meters around. Gillian jumping into Kirk's arms should have created a Tuvix, or else someone on Voyager's staff should have recognized that Star Trek IV should have made a Tuvix impossible.

Scotty knew to beam up the water with the whales. Though there should have been a way to keep them in zero gravity at the proper temperature and humidity. Nah, water is straightforward and created a quest for Scotty, Bones, and Sulu, namely the whale tank.

Kirk and co went back because he stood accused, unlike Saavik, who would be at best a witness.

Spock went beack to give testimony also. But that was a personal choice. Since he wwasnt really there for any of the events.

Hmmm, I never thought before that the same glasses he sells in this movie come back to him in the second movie. That's... kinda weird!

There are some deserts, after all...

PS: make sure you watch it in a decent mix, the 2-channel stereo buries the Goldsmith score most of the time and boy, does this movie need it.

This has always been one of my favorite Trek films. The score too is very under-rated and I think the complete version from Intrada helps it A LOT more.

In a way it goes back to its TV series roots with the campyness and fun.

6 out of 10? Bullocks!

Of course it is.

2 1/2 out of 10, at the very most.

For those who care about such things, here is a comparison between the DVD and the Blu-Ray (with that blueish tint I mentioned). As I said, it's not as obvious throughout the film as with TWOK, but it's there! Oddly enough, TMP and TSFS don't have that.

DVD

CqpASTY.png

Blu-Ray

mwTY7lp.png

It's all very well comparing DVD with Blu, but how did the director intend the scene to look?

Was the film transferred with either Nimoy, or Peterman supervising? If not, then it means nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Star Trek V: The Voyage Home

Such a warm, fun and ultimately clever film.

After the relatively ponderous tone of the third one this really feels like everyone is letting their hair down and chilling out.

This film is full of hilarious and sometimes moving character scenes, and for once everyone gets a chance to shine.

Nicholas Meyer returns as a writer and together with Harve Bennot came up with a script that is, much like TWOK and his later TUC chuck full if memorable lines.

The film in many ways resembles Meyer's first film, Time After Time (which I can fully recommend if you like this movie).

The central plot idea, and the films "save the whale" message could have felt pompous and arrogant if the film had a more serious tone, as some episodes of TOS that felt like simplistic moralizing. But here it really does work well.

It's Star Trek at it's most innocent, and perhaps hopeful. Saving the planet and making up for some past mistakes at the same time.

Dropping this crew in 1987 was an inspired idea, and watching them wrestling with the day to day issues of modern live is often priceless. The middle part of the film is filled with comedy vignettes that make my laugh out loud even after all these years. From Spock calmly observing that Gracie is pregnant, which makes Gillian stop dead in her tracks to Scotty overacting his way into a tour of a factory. There's just so much to enjoy.

Apart from the familiar crew Gillian is the only other new character of importance. Catherine Hicks has a nice chemistry with Shatner (and Nimoy) and is believable as a passionate scientist. I like how the moves from being a sceptic who picks up a couple of bums to a person so desperate that she will try and take Kirk at his word. The romantic angle is nicely underplayed.

So Kirk and his crew save the Earth once more, and as a result they dont get thrown in jail for conspiracy and treason. Objectively this is scarcely believable. But really who cares?

Btw, watch the short scene near the end between Spock and Sarek. I believe that is the only scene where these two characters interact together outside of Journey To Babel. It shows both actors being very adapt in playing a Vulcan. Acting all logical and dispassionate, but through voice, small glances etc communicating so much more. This short, almost throw away scene is essentially the two characters laying a decades old argument at rest.

The Voyage Home is not generally regarded as the best of the Star Trek films. That honor goes (usually) to TWOK. But as an entertaining movie, it's unbeatable.

• 2 weeks later...