BloodBoal

No. The film attempts to create real wonderment. "What if?".

But while they are talking to "God" the viewer is just waiting for shit to go ugly, which happens with the immortal line. "Excuse me, but what does God need with a Starship?"

Shatner would have needed to film an entirely different movie at the time of production for a director's cut to work. There aren't enough cut scenes in the world to make the movie seem cohesive.

That being said, I don't hate the film There are touches throughout that make me forgive some of its trespasses, and I do enjoy the conversation they have with the being at the end.

My main issue is that the movie doesn't know what it wants to be. It's all over the place.

I like this film. Despite everything.

Karol

Same here. It's a deeply flawed, at times ridiculous film. Yet it has a heart, even when it doesn't have a brain.

I like it too.

Agreed.

It might be trash, but it's a film that I came to "lean on" heavily, due to personal reasons, in 1989. It offered me comfort and solace when all around me was falling apart, and for that, I am extremely grateful to "ST:V".

Technically, there are 3 things going for it.

1/ the sound mix is great.

2/ it has some of the very best photoography of the series.

3/ we need to be grateful to WS for hiring JG, and bringing him back into the ST fold! For that alone, "ST:V" demands a standing (oh, alright, then, a sitting) ovation!

I might add that i still think that it's the one STAR TREK movie that was just made to give proof to the fact that Goldsmith could write a great score for just about anything - though it came at the tail end of a career-low for him. The score - goofy synths excepted - really works overtime to structure the film and give it some much needed class.

Before getting the LLL release i liked several sequences (Let's get out of here, A Busy Man) but if you hear the whole thing you realize how it's almost like a (pop-art) symphony that effortlessly binds all its big and small elements together - the wide-eyed, regretful 50 seconds at the end of 'Let's get out of Here' for me are the epitome of great ST music.

Just stumbled upon this fantastic video, which gives us a great insight into Kirk's psyche. You'll never look at mountains the same way again after having watched this.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kestt5BI3eg

This version is better.

http://youtu.be/HU2ftCitvyQ

Karol

Things I like about the film:

The Voyage Home took the crew outside instead of just relying on sets. This is continued in this film. The Yosemite scenes, Nimbus III, the planet inside the barier are all shot on location to some extent. And this really does add to the film (just compare it to the Genesis scenes in Star Trek 3).

The acting is overall very solid. Apart from the Klingons. Yeah Shatner overdoes it more then usual now that he doesnt have a director to reign him in (Meyer used the trick of doing take after take to Shatner would get bored and stop overacting), but DeForest is excellent in his "big scene", Nimoy is convincing in the way he is torn between his duty and family, and Laurence Luckenbil is excellent as Sybok. The other regulars do well even if the material is a bit ropey, and David Warner is promising in a role that never goes anywhere.

The special effects may be poor, but the action scenes are actually quite well done. The raid on the Nimbus III colony, the shuttle craft trying to board the Enterprise, are quite exciting.

Despite having some "first time director issues" it's a good looking film. Darker then the previous ones, but not overdone.

The score, obviously.

This is the only Star Trek film that has Kirk, Spock and McCoy together throughout almost the entire picture, and the way these 3 characters play off each other is at times hilarious, at times moving. Like I said, this film has a heart, and it beats between these 3 characters.

What don't work:

The effects are largely horrible. There area few shots that would not even be used on TNG at the time.

The plot doesnt make sense. Once again we are to believe The Enterprise, a ship that isnt even in active service, but in drydock is the only Starship in range. Isnt Earth in the very heart of the Federation?

The diplomatic situation on Nimbus III, how its the only planet governed by the 3 superpowers is played up as very significant in the beginning of the film, but nothing is done with it. Basically leaving us with 3 characters is little interest (David Warner is a great actor, underused...)

Where is Nimbus III anyway? If it's in Federation space, why would Romulans and Klingons even want to rule on it?

Even if Verhoeven got the idea from his three breated stripper from this film it still doesnt make it OK. No catpeople aliens on Star Trek please!

I know that TNG had only been going for a year when this went into production, but it reintroduced the Klingons as a race with a strict honor system, not the mindless bodybuilders we see here!

Scotty banging his head on his own ship....no...JUST NO!

There are many ways to depict God, and since I'm an atheist there really isnt a right or wrong way, but passing Santa of as the allmighty?

Ofcourse he isn't the almighty, he turns out to be a poser, but how? How did he contact Sybok?

While I don't mind Sybok's powers, I do find it odd that they weren't explained at all. Sure he's a Vulcan. And they do have some mind probing abilities, but none to the extent that we have seen.

The Great Barrier, at the centre of the universe. Never been passed by any ship. But the Enterprise traverses it in 2 minutes like a boss. Fuck yeah! And the silly Klingons seem to have no problem either. Really anti-climactic, since the film had built up some solid suspense and anticipation regarding the barrier.

So...the center of the universe? and it's in a few days reach from Earth? Yeah right!

The Yosemite scenes

Only the daylight ones were shot on location. The campfire scenes were shot in a studio.

The rest of the locations are just deserts!

Of course. But they help make open a the film compared to the first 3

The Yosemite scenes

Only the daylight ones were shot on location. The campfire scenes were shot in a studio.

The rest of the locations are just deserts!

Nimoy is convincing in the way he is torn between his duty and family

I like the "Sybok, you are my brother, but you do not know me" bit. A nice moment for the character.

David Warner is promising in a role that never goes anywhere.

I just realized they should have chosen him to play Kevan Lannister (Tywin's brother) in Game Of Thrones.

The diplomatic situation on Nimbus III, how its the only planet governed by the 3 superpowers is played up as very significant in the beginning of the film, but nothing is done with it.

I didn't even understand what this planet was supposed to be. Yes, they call it "The planet of intergalactic peace", but what the fuck does that mean? It's just a fucking wasteland where people are digging holes because they're bored!

The Great Barrier, at the centre of the universe. Never been passed by any ship. But the Enterprise traverses it in 2 minutes like a boss. Fuck yeah! And the silly Klingons seem to have no problem either. Really anti-climactic, since the film had built up some solid suspense and anticipation regarding the barrier.

Yeah, it's funny how the Klingons had no problem going through the Great Barrier. It really makes you wonder what is so great about this barrier. By the end of the film, it turns into the Great Meeting Place.

Maybe they should call it The Great Meeting Centre of Universal Peace!

Regardless of this film's flaws and perceived shittiness, it so MUCH embodies what is great about Star Trek and these characters. Kirk, Spock and McCoy are at their best here. Goldsmith score's is one of the best. Period. The Star Trek franchise has frankly SUCKED ever since his health started to fail. It kinda died with him. I doubt it will ever be the same again.

I kinda wish I hadn't gotten rid of the DVD versions, but I prefer theatrical overall. All the films except maybe The Motion Picture, Khan and Nemesis need new Blu-ray transfers. There are color shifts in many of the films and way too much DNR, which you can see on even a smaller screen.

Actually TMP is in desperate need of a new transfer on BD. It's DNR'd to shit. Even the trailer looks better than the main feature.

And coincidentally TMP, TWOK and Nemesis are the only ones in the original ten films that I have on BD.

Right after viewing the Star Wars trailer I went and watched Star Trek v on Netflix.

Amazing how insanely watchable this mess of a film is. I always forget about some of the little details. Spocks's look of disgust when Kirk yells "shoot him!". The smile of Bones when he utters the line "Whatdayaknow...a passionate Vulcan." (once again Kelly nails every single line he's given anyway).

In terms of story telling scope this is the most ambitious Trek film since TMP by far, dealing with some similar themes. In this way the film does really resemble the original series in that is often large, ambitious attempted story lines t could never really do justice budget wise.

The production design is fairly solid, but has that late 80's "pink neon glow" in any scenes dealing with anything slightly alien looking.

The crossing the barrier may be a disappointment, but golly, when the camera pans down to the dedication plaque "Where No Man Has Gone Before"with Jerry quoting the Courage theme....that really does work.

When Kirk, Spock, Bones and Sybok have their meeting with God, we see the crew on the Enterprise reaction to the events. How are they recieving a video feed?

Why is it Caitlin Dar who's doing all the talking in the hostage video sent to the Federation? She's the Romulan representative. Should it not be Talbot making the plea?

And speaking of Dar? Why does a Romulan have such a human name? Why doesnt she look or act remotely Romulan in any way? (I guess since no Romulan had been seen since 1969 and casual fans might not have known they looked identical to Vulcans they wanted to avoid confusion. Or they didnt wanna pay for the ears)

Cheesy as it may be, and illogical, since Spock should not be a gunner. the "Captain, please...not in front of the Klingons" scene gets me every time.

Captain Klaa really is incompetent. He needs 3 shots to destroy the Pioneer 10 probe. And why does he use what looks like a periscope? Why would you need a periscope on a spacecraft?

Scorewise I always love the way that Sybok's Theme is the dominant theme in the first part of the movie, it coexists with the Quest theme in the middle, which then becomes the dominant theme in the last part. Very interesting how Goldsmith translated the emphasis from Sybok to his obsession with Sha Ka Ree into music. (the Sybok theme has all but dissipated save for one small quote just before the character takes on his "God" clone.)

They really screwed up on the scale of the Enterprise. From the outside it looks smaller then usual. The rear seems to be only just big enough to fit a shuttle craft. Yet it has 78 decks. Also, at no point does any shot of her convey the beauty and majesty of the Enterprise. Apart from maybe the shot of her against the Moon.

Still.... great movie! ;)