Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

I think I'm skipping Lost in Space. Too many good shows I don't watch as it is, and I'm not caught up on the shows I do watch.  And from the previews it just looks like it's going to annoy me.

7 minutes ago, Woj said:

One man's remake of Deep Space Nine. 

They're getting the band back together! Kai Kira! Captain Nog! Weyoun 10 lives!

DEEP SPACE NINE STARS REUNITE FOR STAR TREK: VICTORY IS LIFE

While there are a few major characters who aren’t appearing, including the Siskos, Dax, O’Brien, and Worf, the returning cast members are offering an intriguing glimpse of their characters’ futures. For example, Nana Vistor’s Kira Nerys is now Kai, the religious leader of the Bajoran people. Aron Eisenberg’s Nog has risen to become the first Ferengi captain in Starfleet history, while Elim Garak (Andrew Robinson) is now a Councilor, and Odo (René Auberjonois) is an ambassador for the Dominion. Alexander Siddig will also reprise his role as the former chief medical officer of the station, Doctor Julian Bashir.

Quark (Armin Shimerman) is refreshingly the same conniving DS9 bartender, while his brother Rom (Max Grodénchik) has flourished as the Ferengi Grand Nagus alongside his wife, Leeta (Chase Masterson). Despite the fact that the last Weyoun clone was supposedly killed in the series finale, Jeffrey Combs is reprising his role as that character alongside Salome Jens as the unnamed female Changeling. 

• 1 month later...

The music of Star Trek TOS is excellent.  Check out this interesting video about "The Doomsday Machine", one of the best, most thrilling TOS episodes, but I forgot how good the music was! 

Seriously, all the episodes featured excellent composers in top form.  A quarter of the episodes were composed by this Sol.

8 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

There is no Star Trek without Kira.

You idiot.  You mean the original name for Star Wars's Rey?  Kira?  Wrong story.

5 hours ago, karelm said:

Check out this interesting video about "The Doomsday Machine"

Not in my country :crymore:

12 hours ago, karelm said:

You idiot.

12 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Fuck you.

12 hours ago, karelm said:

oh Fuck you too.

12 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Fuck your mother.

.....?  Guys, what's going on here?  Am I missing something?

I'd appreciate it a lot if board members didn't insult each other especially so aggressively.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Not in my country :crymore:

That's too bad.  The clip features an interview with the screenwriter and some of the cast members plus quite a bit about the music that Sol Kaplan provided for the episode.  He's a big part of the sound of TOS since he scored so many memorable episodes.  They compare the music to jaws with its unrelenting two note ostinato.

Art of the Score did a Star Trek (TV) episode, and they only covered two TOS episodes before moving on to the other series. They are “Amok Time” and “The Doomsday Machine.” Episodes 34 and 35 in production order, coincidentally. Definitely memorable episodes and memorable scores.

The only episode of The Original Series that I've seen is the one where the crew gets stranded on a planet with some chubby goofball and a bunch of robot babe servants. This feature on The Doomsday Machine makes me want to watch more episodes now, that music is really cool! Very dynamic storytelling, not just in the melodic sense, but its sheer personality and presence. It's one of the reasons I connected to The Next Generation when a friend introduced me to it five years ago: after the pilot episode, I turned to my friend and asked, "And every episode has a score like this?"

Those were before the dark times. Before the Berman.

TOS is overall pretty good, with some major duds (more in season 3) and quite a number of genuinely great episodes. Some aspects are very, very 60s, others were astonishingly ahead. I loved watching it two years ago (accidentally started for the first time on almost the exact 50th anniversary) and haven't been able to continue with Next Generation since (only got to the first few episodes of season 1). Tried JJTrek but couldn't get more than 2 minutes in.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2018 at 4:15 PM, Holko said:

TOS is overall OUTSTANDING, with some minor mistakes (a few in season 3) and quite a number of Greater than OUTSTANDING episodes. Some aspects are wonderfully very 60s and were astonishingly ahead. I loved watching it two years ago (accidentally started for the first time on almost the exact 50th anniversary) and haven't been able to continue with Next Generation since (only got to the first few episodes of season 1). Tried JJTrek but couldn't get more than 2 minutes in before I went nearly insane it was so bad, and the lens flares, Dear God in Heaven the lens flares.

I totally agree.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:15 PM, Holko said:

TOS is overall pretty good, with some major duds (more in season 3) and quite a number of genuinely great episodes. Some aspects are very, very 60s, others were astonishingly ahead. I loved watching it two years ago (accidentally started for the first time on almost the exact 50th anniversary) and haven't been able to continue with Next Generation since (only got to the first few episodes of season 1). Tried JJTrek but couldn't get more than 2 minutes in.

You really can't judge TNG by Season 1 or 2.  For most shows these days that go from bad to good to great I'd just say "stick with it". But in the case of TNG, after the pilot I think you can safely skip ahead to Season 3 without losing anything (maybe just watch the Borg episode from Season 2).  And it's worth it, because once TNG gets good, it's great.  

DS9 is the best Trek ever, of course. But if you even want to give that a go, I'll give you a curated list of episodes from the first three seasons to watch (some of which are essential plot wise for later season) before things kick into high gear in Season 4.

Lol, I couldn't figure out why my English was so bad 2 months ago :D

Thanks for the offer, I did read the TNG S3 trick in quite a few places. For now, I'm happy with where I am, it'll be a while before I commit to a show of that size again.