Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

TNG is a case where whole seasons tend to be bad, like 1, 2 and 7. It's the one series I find people to hold in extremely high esteem, but it's pretty flawed.

I don't get what's so bad about TOS season 3. DS9 is nearly perfect.

I got this set for Christmas—

91mIk3ymOjL._SX342_.jpg

—and am currently doing a rewatch in Production Order. I did a full rewatch with my wife seven or eight years ago; over the years since then I have watched a random episode once every month or so. This current rewatch is with my wife’s niece (who currently lives with us). She’s digging it.

I got the LLL big soundtrack set as well as TMP, and have been enjoying those very much.

My wife and I have been slooowly attempting to watch TNG. I think it will have taken us a year to get to the end of Season One.

I have started collecting older Star Trek novels from Pocket Books and plan to read those.

I’m itching to get into a Star Trek board game, but I don’t know what will scratch that itch. Star Trek: The Adventure Game or Star Explorer, maybe.

3 hours ago, Trent B said:

EVERY incarnation of Star Trek had some awesome and bad episodes.  You can't just limit it to TNG.

TNG had many entertaining episodes but any timeless classics?  TOS had tons.  I do believe Roddenburry's soul is very important to what makes ST great and he was fully in TOS, half in TNG, not in those that followed.*  The JJ Abrams reboots have nothing to do with ST.

* I don't have CBS all access so can't assess Discovery.

Roddenberry was a great big ideas person, not such a great writer or show runner, certainly not by the 80s at least.  Going more hands off with TNG is what allowed that show to really soar.

18 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

I don't get what's so bad about TOS season 3.

It’s not terrible, IMO. It’s just not as even and not as iconic as the first two seasons. Name your top ten favorite episodes of TOS. I’ll bet it’s seven episodes from Season One and three episodes from Season Two.

Berman hating is a popular sport (especially if you care about music at all) but you have to give the man credit.  He presided over the best of TNG and DS9.  He might have been out of steam by ENT but he made a hell of a lot of Star Trek.

Rick Berman

On 8/16/2018 at 7:55 PM, Tallguy said:

Berman hating is a popular sport (especially if you care about music at all) but you have to give the man credit.  He presided over the best of TNG and DS9.  He might have been out of steam by ENT but he made a hell of a lot of Star Trek.

I mostly agree.

And in the case of DS9, the best thing he did was (eventually) just leave it alone.

Berman was mostly fine and oversaw the most productive, creative and sustained period in Trek history. Brannon Braga, however, is another story.

I want an edit of Star  Trek Generations that removes Kirk from the 2nd half.

I'd argue the Moriarty ones to be the worst of the bunch.  (Aside from Daniel Davis' performance which is stellar.)  Not only does the recreational system put the ship in jeopardy (again!), we find out that the whole secret of making AI smarter than Data is to ask, politely.  Someone call that guy from Measure of a Man!  (And Moriarty appears to have emotions and can use contractions!)

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Having seen those episodes after seeing a bunch of The Nanny in the 90s, it was hard for me to take Davis seriously in the role honestly.

Most of the reason I loved him in the Nanny is because of TNG.  And because he's terrific.

I always thought he was trying (and failing) to do an American accent in Red October.  He's from ARKANSAS!  It's pretty impressive that he's given a role in the almost exclusively Brit cast of The Prestige.

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Most of the reason I loved him in the Nanny is because of TNG.  And because he's terrific.

I always thought he was trying (and failing) to do an American accent in Red October.  He's from ARKANSAS!  It's pretty impressive that he's given a role in the almost exclusively Brit cast of The Prestige.

Wait....he's not actually British?

You're not kidding?

MIND.  FUCKING.  BLOWN.

• 2 weeks later...