Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

Started rewatching TOS - original this time. No shitty CG Enterprise, just shitty grainy 1000-times reused model footage.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I still prefer Babylon 5.

I've only watched the very first episode (and gave up on it), but a friend of mine thinks Babylon 5 the best sci-fi show ever (and keeps encouraging me to give it another chance).  He doesn't like Star trek and is generally only interested in sci-fi and Fantasy.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Stargate Atlantis is better than everything!

Sarcasm?

I sometimes feel like the people involved with Star Trek don't exactly understand their audience. For instance, Dr. Bashir in that clip rather trendily and awkwardly boasting about having a big black Captain, in your face America or whatever? They'd had all types of people on the show already in various roles. For us, it didn't matter if it was a black guy, a woman, a naked bald elderly man yelling about lights, an alien or whatever. Maybe in the 60s that was relevant, but 90s+ audiences?

22 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

I sometimes feel like the people involved with Star Trek don't exactly understand their audience. For instance, Dr. Bashir in that clip rather trendily and awkwardly boasting about having a big black Captain, in your face America or whatever? They'd had all types of people on the show already in various roles. For us, it didn't matter if it was a black guy, a woman, a naked bald elderly man yelling about lights, an alien or whatever. Maybe in the 60s that was relevant, but 90s+ audiences?

It was relevant at the time for black people. The 90's werent all that cozy.

I love TNG. 

I love DS9. 

I love Farscape (it hasn't been on Netflix for at least four years, and I needed YouTube for The Peacekeeper Wars). 

I love SG-1 and Atlantis (I own the latter because it used to not be on Prime). 

I started to watch Babylon 5 on Prime but stopped in the middle of the first episode. I will return to it when we're done with TOS Remastered + the 6 movies. 

I think that peak TNG is better than any other sci-fi series (and is probably my favorite TV series ever). The Trek films are hit-or-miss- I love First Contact and Wrath of Khan, but nothing else challenges Star Wars 4-6 in terms of quality.

Let’s see:

The Temple of Doom < Return of the Jedi

Return of the Jedi The Last Crusade

The Last Crusade Star Wars

Star Wars < Raiders of the Lost Ark

Raiders of the Lost Ark = The Empire Strikes Back

So yes, but actually no. 

47 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

The new Star Trek trilogy is better than the new Star Wars trilogy, that's for sure.

Well the Star Wars trilogy isn't done yet, but based on what we have so far I couldn't disagree more.

Star Trek '09 (at best) = Star Wars: The Force Awakens -- both rely a ton on nostalgia and callbacks while being overall very charming and enjoyable flicks. There are absolutely HORRIBLE moments in both though.

No matter how much someone hates The Last Jedi though, I can't fathom them thinking Star Trek Into Darkness is better. However offensive TLJ was to many Star Wars fans, Into Darkness was so much more offensive to Trek fans. I speak as a fan of both. The only Trek film I despise as much as Nemesis, even though it was better executed technically.

Star Trek Beyond I found generally painfully stupid aside from one or two good moments (based on just a brief few second glimpse, it made me want to see a Trek show set further in the past with Idris Elba as the captain!) Episode IX is really going to have to suck to be lower in my estimation.

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its for kids, Joe.

Its Star Trek

and I will always be a kid.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 8:24 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I still prefer Babylon 5.

Who?

On 4/25/2019 at 8:40 AM, Jay said:

I think an animated Star Trek from Seth MacFarlane or Matt Groening would have been perfect.

But I’ll take The Orville right now.