Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Jay said:

Seems pretty close to me, though obviously it's missing Star Trek Beyond and Galaxy Quest. ;)

I like Star Trek TMP through Nemesis.  I like Trek 09 and really love Star Trek Beyond.  PARTS of Into Darkness I liked but the fact it was essentially a re-write of my favorite Trek movie (The Wrath Of Khan) it practically sucked.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2016 at 1:33 PM, Nick1066 said:

I really used to deride Voyager, but when I catch it now I find I enjoy it more than I ever did.

I always used to enjoy Voyager when it was shown here. It was DS9 that I never really gelled with, but it did get better later on. 

Well, it finally happened last week. It only took a little over a year to bingewatch all 21 seasons of modern Star Trek, from TNG through Voyager with the missus. (We mutually decided to skip Enterprise, for now at least, and we still have the Nemesis film to watch, but that's not essential.) It was enjoyable but I'm sad it's over. 

Some conclusions I drew. TNG was excellent but had a lot of filler episodes. It has story arcs but they are developed slowly. For example, Wesley Crusher always manages to outsmart the best crew on Starfleet's flagship to save the day, but he perpetually falls short on his attempts to get into Starfleet Academy to other potential cadets. Why, who are these branches, put them on the Big D instead! All characters do get fleshed out nicely and it remains a highly watchable and quotable ensemble show. By the seventh season, the show has run out of ideas but ends strongly. 

DS9 offers a much tighter story, expands the universe and makes Star Trek seem more lived in, dirty, and relatable. I feel its ending is a little convenient but very tightly wound.  I know this is heretical but I'll explain. 

Before the Cardassian rebellion against the Dominion, the Dominion is winning the war. They have the greater numbers and resources, though their supply lines are too far without access to the wormhole. They would have dragged the war out for years if not for Odo offering the Founders the cure to their debilitating illness created by Section 31 and passed on by Odo himself. If Section 31 had not created the disease, or Bashir had not found the cure, or Odo had not fallen in love with Kira and stayed loyal to the Federation solids, then the Founders would never have surrendered. Furthermore, the Prophets say that Sisko has a purpose, an unfinished task left before him. Well, it's just to kill the wraith-posessed Dukat and seal the wraiths back in the fire caves on Bajor. But Sisko engineered this deranged Dukat over time by defeating him but showing mercy and allowing him to live a few times. If that hadn't happened, Sisko would not have died and ascended. What You Leave Behind is a poignant and fitting title for the loves lost for time, maybe forever, of Kira and Jake, and his unborn sibling. 

Still the best of the modern Trek series. 

Voyager is better than I remember it being and doesn't deserve the scorn it regularly gets from fans. It benefits from watching in order, maybe minus some filler episodes, but we watched them all. It has a general story arcs, though it's not as tight and complex as DS9's. Few show's arcs are. 

Unfortunately, it's really a remake of TNG with new aliens in a different part of space. Create a problem but solve it by the end of the episode so you can watch them out of order. The magical Star Trek reset button. The main Maquis characters are all ex-Starfleet so they know how to act like professional Starfleet officers when they need to be. The strife between Starfleet and Maquis is contained very neatly and quickly in Caretaker Part 2, and only left out to wreak havoc in a few episodes that are resolved peacefully. Seska is the embodiment of that strife but she deserved more episodes and a better end, though the Kazon were tiring by then. There were far too many episodes that concentrated on Janeway, the Doctor, and Seven at the expense of the rest of the crew, though I wouldn't say that there weren't enough stories about the minor characters. I think they just ran out of things to say about them. A half Klingon who resents her Klingon heritage is the polar opposite of Word, almost a way to make young Alexander a series regular. A pure Vulcan who evolves the race from touching mind melds into telepaths. The Borg go from a scary seldom used baddie into a toothless villain of the week, a shadow of their former glory. I do enjoy the color upgrade though. Too many shows in this series, and others, end because the weak, timid, insecure, or suppressed alien sides with the Starfleet characters over his own race.

It is nice to see that even though Voyager tries to be a standalone show that does not require you to watch previous series, it does make lots of references to earlier works. Kirk and Picard are mentioned a lot. Data gets mentioned once or twice. Riker appears thanks to Q, who remains delightful in this series. We see what happened to the Ferengi from the Barzan wormhole, but also the hadrosaurs that left Earth, ugh. After the holographic Doctor makes contact with Starfleet and we see the new First Contact uniforms for the first time, the Maquis on Voyager learn what the Dominion did to their friends back home, nice touch. Too many Barclay episodes, but these give the wonderful Troi an opportunity to return and set the stage for her eventual wedding to her Imzadi. And just when you think engineers Kerry and Voorik were forgotten, they reappear to show you they're not dead yet. Saw Brian Fuller's name a lot in the credits, a pity he's out of the new series. 

Though I had to laugh when Voyager sets a course for Earth and my wife asks, "that's it?" Yep, that's it.

I did rather like that Voyager ended on a shot of "essentially" Voyager, The Enterprise D and The Defiant. But yeah. A bit lame they never got to Earth.

DS9 is the best show, but it was never flawless. The final act of its Dominion War does really pull you in though.

TNG started off pretty ropey and became very good. Some really brilliant episodes, but year also a lot of filler which I can take or leave.

I nearly forgot that Voyager give us an opportunity to flesh out Tim Russ' cameo in Star Trek VI (or was it Generations?) as the ageless Tuvok with Sulu and the other two bridge officers from Excelsior with some neat mind meld time travel. Russ had great cameos on TNG and DS9 also.

The crew of the Equinox are demoted to low officers but are never seen again. 

Voyager getting to Earth in the prime timeline could have undermined the unity that was realized over the course of the show quickly and gradually. When Chakotay lost his ship and need to fight Cardassians in the DMZ, he instantly became Janeway's loyal right arm and strong proponent of crew unity. Do you put him on trial for Maquis war crimes? The alternate futures seen in Endgame and the one where Voyager is frozen in ice (with Captain Geordi!) suggest no. Tom Paris doesn't get to hold his baby, but I had forgotten we do see the child in BLT's last scene.

Do you put Seven on trial, of course not if Picard's return to work is any indication. 

My biggest gripe with Voyager is Unimatrix Zero. Janeway puts her crew at risk to save Borg dreams. She gets herself, Tuvok, and BLT assimilated,the three most important Voyager crew members, but they keep their eyes and all limbs, and by the end of the episode they suffer no damage to their individuality. All because the holographic Doctor invented a magic serum. It seriously undermines Picard's emotional breakdown in Family, and Seven's years-long struggle to become human. It's cheap and is where Voyager jumped the shark. 

Voyager is totally cheap. They bent logic and hit the reset button on a constant basis for the sake of entertainment. You need to check your brain at the door, but Star Trek is supposed to make your brain work. I guess it's something unique about it.

I found it funny that both the last season of TNG and the second season of DS9 spend quite a bit of time setting up the whole background of the Cardassian/Federation DMZ, the situation of the colonies, the Maquis. And Voyager does almost nothing with it. Once they get to the Delta Quadrant, it's basically just another Starfleet crew with only a very few exceptions.

It wasn't until this viewing of Voyager that I even noticed the Maquis crew wear different pip pins on their turtlenecks. 

I think that without Cardassians to fight on the ship, no homes to defend, and no way to get a message back to the DMV, there's no logical reason for the Maquis to be dicks to the Starfleet crew. What are they going to do, refuse their duties? They won't get food or end up marooned on a desolate planet, which never happens. Get left behind with Amelia Earhart and friends?  Doesn't happen. They just suck it up and suppress all conflict, which is the Roddenberry template for Star Trek crews. BLT becomes chief engineer, for crying out loud, before half the first season is over. 

Except Seska. She embodies all Maquis insubordination because she's really Cardassian, which encourages her alliance with an alien empire. 

I think it was just a plot device for use in only the pilot. The Voyager needed some reason to be in the Badlands, some group of criminals or renegades to pursue. But since Maquis are ex-Starfleet and mostly human, it's easier (and cheaper on the VFX budget) for them to be absorbed into the crew than exotic aliens. 

I remember reading that there was talk of using the holographic Moriarty in the new show, but nobody could think of a reason to take him along. Hence the holographic Doctor was born. 

I wonder when the writers decided to make Eddington loyal to Maquis. Was it there from the beginning, when he was brought in to be Starfleet's check on Odo and when he helped rescue the hostage crew from the Founders? I remember he was in a few episodes, then disappeared for a season or so, before returning in full Maquis support. I suppose it's documented in Memory Alpha. 

It's like the replacement Bashir. He did some important surgeries when he was supposed to be a Founder doppelganger. Or was he?

It's a shame that an important Klingon soldier like Martok usually only had a bird of prey. The enormous Negh'var was seen in the prime universe basically only in Way of the Warrior, then only in the mirror universe. A few of them in the Dominion War would have been super. 

Despite a lot of flaws Voyager had I still like it.

Then again I like all the incarnations of Star Trek because I'm just that way with Star Trek.  I grew up watching re-runs of TOS and watched the pilot to series finale for TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. 

Although I will admit it a few years after Enterprise I decided to re-watch it because the initial airing it really didn't quite grow on me but after I re-watched it I really liked it especially the whole Xindi arc and Season 4. The only thing that really pissed me off about Enterprise was the series finale.  It should have gotten a proper series finale instead of a cheap TNG episode tie-in. Or at least done something to do a 5th season since there were plans for a 5th season.

Anyways as I said I love all the TV series.  I tried to get into The Animated Series but never could get into it.

Probably not. Enterprise felt more like a sequel to the TNG to Voyager era than the true prequel to TOS it needed to be, likely because it kept the same production crew and assets that had just worked on Voyager. It was a product of its time. It needed to run its course and fail to set the stage for the JJ Abramsverse.

Enterprise just never lived up to its potential. The Balance of Terror explained that nobody ever saw a Romulan because they did not have viewscreens at the time, but Enterprise ignored this by always having viewscreens. Transporters existed, other races had holodecks, and the universal transporter worked from the get go. Even Picard's throwaway comment about disastrous "first contact" with the Klingons was proved to be bullshit because Broken Bow was an olive branch. It created aliens and situations we just couldn't sympathize with because we knew we'd never see them from TOS through Voyager without some giant reset button at series' end. The fourth season was great, though, aside from the cheat episode mentioned by Trent. 

Maybe a fifth season would have given us a war with Romulus, but it wasn't to be. Who knows what the new CBS series will give us. 

Last night after Sherlock was over, I flipped over to live TV and flipped through the channels to see what was on (we have an HD antennae).  Some random channel was just starting a TNG episode, and it was Picard, Data, Geordi and Troi stuck in some kind of situation where they were experiencing time shifts and then the whole Enterprise was frozen in time and they had to save the day.  I forgot how tight those Starfleet uniforms were on that show, Troi's gozangas were practically busting out of that thing.

Anyways did they have early CGI when making this show?  There was a shot of the shuttle they were in going to warp where it stretched out and it seemed like a computer effect and not a practical one.  Oh, and the planets shown in the opening credits were awesome looking.

Sadly it was a SD broadcast and not HD.

She looked best in the later seasons. When she was finally in a duty uniform after Ronny Cox made her wear one like the rest of the crew, you lost the cleavage, but you could practically see the whole form of her breasts.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Last night after Sherlock was over, I flipped over to live TV and flipped through the channels to see what was on (we have an HD antennae).  Some random channel was just starting a TNG episode, and it was Picard, Data, Geordi and Troi stuck in some kind of situation where they were experiencing time shifts and then the whole Enterprise was frozen in time and they had to save the day.  I forgot how tight those Starfleet uniforms were on that show, Troi's gozangas were practically busting out of that thing.

Anyways did they have early CGI when making this show?  There was a shot of the shuttle they were in going to warp where it stretched out and it seemed like a computer effect and not a practical one.  Oh, and the planets shown in the opening credits were awesome looking.

Sadly it was a SD broadcast and not HD.

The episode you're talking about is "Timescape" and the Runabout going into warp was a re-used shot from DS9.  It was a good TNG episode though in my opinion anyways.

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Exactly right!  It was so tight, nothing was left to the imagination

Yes it was, since she was wearing an outfit that fully covered her.

They made her show far more in the early seasons in what Sirtis herself described as the "cosmic chearleader outfit".

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Any idea how they created a ship stretching effect without computers?  It looked nice.

I dunno.

Who said computers werent used though? They were. Just not no create images in the way we are used to today.