Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

Careful SUH, the Trekkies are dangerous folk! It would be wise my friend, not to provoke them.

They're like Tolkien nerds but even more psychotic.

Karol

Star Trek is superior to all that hobbitcy chit. Even Consciousness of the King.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of these points are true. But I'm not really bothered about them. They only reflect the current crop of films which are far and few between. I'd be more worried if they would do a new TV show in that style. (which might happen oneday)

This article also ignores the fact that Star Trek was already a different thing then it was in the 60's. Deep Space Nine is a very different kind of show then TOS, as was TNG, eventually.

I also never bought that whole "Star Trek isnt military" myth. I know Roddenberry stated this in the 70's when the show was very popular with hippies. But TOS feels very navy-like.

We also must forget that before these new movies Star Trek was burned out, tired, old.

Oh I agree.

I hope that the third film will remedy at least some of this. Just having a mission in a deep, unexplored section of space would help.

It also have to be noted that the films in general never really been a proper representation of Star Trek anyway. They play essentially like movie adaptations of what is essentially a TV show.

The only difference is that right now all that is produced are these films.

10 Ways Star Trek Just Isnt Star Trek Anymore

Hard to argue with these points....

It's a good list, but it can be summarized by saying JJ Abrams either doesn't quite get Star Trek and what made it great or wanted to deviate to get a new audience at the expense of trekkies. They are good, fun films but are not Star Trek and have little desire to be.

This:

This reboot may be fun, but its unlikely to inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers.

Optimism has no place in today's world. That's why the spirit of Star Trek cannot be preserved in the reboot.

Don't forget the original series was born in very troubled times with multiple assassinations of transformative figures, a desperate war, civil strife, youth in revolt, and great scientific and exploratory accomplishments.

I wonder what will happen after the next movie comes out. It's supposed to be the last of a trilogy, right? (I think I read somewhere the cast were signed for three films). Could they carry on that line in some way (through their own versions of the TMP and TNG eras), or take a side-step back into the original universe and set up some new characters and a new Enterprise?

I wonder if they'll go into the TMP Era. It'd be interesting to see how they'd revise the refit, which was designed to be a big movie ship anyway (technically they've already designed the refit - it was the original concept for the USS Vengeance)

The TNG Reboot... wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Leonard Nimoy, Harve Bennet and Maurice Hurley.

All Star Trek producers, all died in the last 2 weeks.

Bad things come in threes

Best of Both Worlds and series director Cliff Bole also died this past week

There ARE 4 dead Star Trek People.

For the rule to stay true, the fourth person is the first of a new set of three.

Oh you miss the point.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Birthday to Captain James T. Kirk! After the loss of Leonard Nimoy, let's celebrate the larger than life living legend that is Bill Shatner. I made some Starfleet cupcakes in Shatner's honor. Staging the pictures was nerve wracking - I was convinced Mego Kirk would take a face plant right into the cupcakes, but he held firm.

2mfds0w.jpg
vncksw.jpg
25rigiq.jpg
"How do I feel? Young! I feel young!!!"