Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

She should have ended up with The Doctor!

- E.T., who has been taking a break from DS9 and reviewing Voyager starting with season 4 when the show honestly became 100% more watchable, despite shuttlecraft being lost like every fucking episode and the obvious shameless attempt to boost ratings with Seven of Nine's breasts, although she was actually a good character.

Chaos on the Bridge is now available on American Netflix. It's quite good. A lot of it is already well known to fans of The Next Generation, but it's nice to see all the supporting players give interviews. My biggest complaint is that it's too short. I feel there is a lot more story to tell. Bill Shatner could have made this a two hour documentary with a lot more meat on its bones, instead of just racing ahead to reiterate how The Best of Both Worlds Part I revitalized the series and gave us the legacy. Must watch if you can spare an hour.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy the film and score so much. It seems like neither get a fair chance from most people.

Like the movie. Love the score. The Christmas scene always makes me cry though.

There's a mob mentality that's taken over perceptions of the TNG movies because of the Plinkett reviews.

How so? Gen always got mixed reviews at best, FC was the fave, and it was a contest to see if you liked NEM less than INS. Right?

There's a mob mentality that's taken over perceptions of the TNG movies because of the Plinkett reviews.

Mike Stoklasa's reviews have made an overwhelming impact on people's view of Star Wars and Star Trek. Whether you love or hate the movies, or are indifferent to them, his thorough deconstruction of their narrative shortcomings has made a wider selection of people aware of Hollywood's patterns of carelessness of story and other important elements.

And he has established himself as a [smalltime] authority on judging what is right and wrong in filmmaking and storytelling. Even though his own films are schlock, and he knows it! But he does know what he likes and how he thinks filmmakers should create their products and stories.

I believe that I have finally achieved Kolinahr after this thought of total logic dawned on me - which is that Star Trek is the greatest franchise of all time.

Think about it, it has the best music, the best acting ensemble, the best stories, the best characters, the most memorable dialogue and there's a wide variety of content that spans almost 50 years.

And most importantly, Star Trek is the benchmark by which all others are measured. And these have all failed the test. The Tolkiens, the Nolans, the Game of Throneses, the Marvels, the Potters, even the Star Warses... they're nothing compared to the unparalleled magnificence of Roddenberry's mythic wagon train to the stars.

Two words for you:

Forbidden Planet.

I disagreed with some of their criticism of the Star Treks, but I may be biased since I saw many of those films as a kid. For instance, I thought it was awesome how they were wearing DS9 uniforms in Generations. DS9 is, after all, better than everything. I also thought the Enterprise looked amazing in that flick. Aside from the shitty [insert 90s action movie]-looking canyon scenes at the end, I adore the cinematography of Generations. The Enterprise interiors looked slick.

I disagreed with some of their criticism of the Star Treks, but I may be biased since I saw many of those films as a kid. For instance, I thought it was awesome how they were wearing DS9 uniforms in Generations. DS9 is, after all, better than everything. I also thought the Enterprise looked amazing in that flick. Aside from the shitty [insert 90s action movie]-looking canyon scenes at the end, I adore the cinematography of Generations. The Enterprise interiors looked slick.

I forgive Generation almost everything just for how they used the "exterior" light on the Enterprise sets. It was gorgeous.

When you think about it, TNG is the only Star Trek that got its original sets translated almost directly to a big budget feature. How cool is that?

Come on, I love his serial killer skits.

I hate those.

Try-hard edginess.

But it's funny!

No it isn't. That's why it ruins what are otherwise very insightful commentaries.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...