Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

On 12/8/2015 at 10:05 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I enjoy the film and score so much. It seems like neither get a fair chance from most people.

It has some good moments and it has even more terrible moments.

Good....the opening, the Enterprise B,

Bad...where to start. The villain. Retread story using Georgi's visor....again, yawn. the death of the Enterprise D by an 80 year old BoP. Of course the worst is the terrible fight between Picard, Soran, and Kirk with Kirk's less than noble death. Oh my.

4 hours ago, Joey said:

Kirk's less than noble death.

I know, dying to save a nearby planet populated by millions (who we never get to see, but that's beside the point) wasn't all that noble at all.

No. It was a noble death that aligned with the values of Starfleet: self-sacrifice to save the greater good. The fact that the movie unnecessarily killed the series' greatest hero in an unnecessary crossover was the bad part. Other beloved characters' fate were left ambiguous. 

I think the two rebooted movies are payback for fan backlash against Generations. They threaten Earth instead of just a nameless planet we'll never see again. 

3 hours ago, Drax said:

I know, dying to save a nearby planet populated by millions (who we never get to see, but that's beside the point) wasn't all that noble at all.

it was a death unworthy of Kirk, and worse Picard buries him by covering him with rocks when he knew he would be rescued soon.

3 minutes ago, Joey said:

it was a death unworthy of Kirk, and worse Picard buries him by covering him with rocks when he knew he would be rescued soon.

What death would be worthy of Kirk?

And put yourself in Picard's mindset at that moment. History recorded Kirk dying a hero saving the Enterprise-B. To suddenly inform Starfleet that he had Kirk's corpse, fresh from death only hours beforehand, probably wouldn't have been appropriate. He perhaps felt it would have been too upsetting to have to rewrite the history books like that. As a result, I think he kept the whole Kirk element to his story to himself.

So we're watching In Theory, the episode where the cute engineer chick rebounds straight to Data. My woman wants to know if he can actually have sex. I respond yes, he is fully functional (it's okay if you forget The Naked Now). 

"What's he squirt in there, battery acid?"

I'm not... I don't know... 

Well, he did cry something in Generations when he found Spot, which I always thought really ripped off the scene where Tik Tok cries oil in Return to Oz, although that could have been a coincidence.

Generations ripped off The Mind's Eye as well. It was the in thing. 

I personally feel stupid that I only noticed that Netflix is showing the remastered TNG episodes about ten ago. The Enterprise looks stunning. The shot in Reunion with her and the three Klingon ships made me giddy. I'd buy this if Netflix ever yanked it. 

Though now that I think of it, Borg cube repairing itself in Q Who looked pretty neat.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm presently marathoning the Original Series again. I think this has the best aesthetic of any TV show ever. Beside maybe the 1960s Batman, has anyone seen a TV show so richly colourful and dynamic?

Star Trek definitely looks better than everything.

PS: but that all changed when they made TMP. The rainbow poster would fool you into thinking you'll be watching something as colourful and vibrant as the show, but the bridge of the Enterprise looks dull as dishwater.

I couldn't find this posted anywhere, but there is a 50th Anniversary Star Trek tour like the Star Wars in Concert coming:

http://www.treknews.net/2016/01/02/star-trek-ultimate-voyage-concert-tour/

It started a few weeks ago but will tour for the next few months and include 40 foot HD screen and live orchestra performing themes from all the films and shows.

Details:

http://startrekultimatevoyage.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend I delved, tentatively into one of my least watched Trek films -The Motion Picture (Director's Edition). I've not been made on it all these years but I always give it a try and this time I liked it more than before, though it's not endangering Wrath of Khan's top spot anytime soon. Takes forever to get away from Earth -rightly showing off the refitted Enterprise (inside and out), the uniforms are a bit bland and overall it feels disjointed. Like a mix of late second season/third season TOS but focused on the SFX. The perk is Jerry Goldsmith, DeForest Kelly ("Why is every object we encounter called a thing?") and "The Enterprise" scene.

And yes, better than the JJ output (for one, this was how you did lens flare)

On 16 January 2016 at 10:16 PM, Stefancos said:

But...he didnt!

Not that I consider that an error. No one knows how he will die.

Kirk did die alone...twice. He died physically, on the Enterprise B, and again on (enter planet's name here). Imagine Picard trying to log that incident!

What Kirk meant was that he would die without Spock, or McCoy (his two best friends in the universe) being present.

On 15 February 2016 at 5:11 AM, E.T. and Elliot said:

I could use a shower.

Yes.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Kirk did die alone...twice. He died physically, on the Enterprise D, and again on (enter planet's name here). Imagine Picard trying to log that incident!

What Kirk meant was that he would die without Spock, or McCoy (his two best friends in the universe) being present.

Yes.

Enterprise-B  ;)