'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' SCORE speculation

Ricard

There's no commercial release of the sheet music I know of, it was a leak like all the other sheet music leaks. Haven't you ever heard of pianofiles / sheeto?

I am sure that there is part of Williams thinking he is too old to have to deal with Abrams staggered scoring/recording wishes. However, he has be happy that he will be scoring edited footage that will not (likely) be reedited post scoring. I listened to TPM ost yesterday, which reminded me of how hacked up the music is in the film, and it is the least problematic of the prequels.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to bow out of the other episodes simply due to the exhausting writing schedule. I've read stuff from this forum (2005 or so) about his exhaustion from The Prisoner of Azkaban's scoring process and the difficulty adapting to new directors being primary factors for him turning down Goblet of Fire.

This is what I'm really worried about especially since the following episodes will have different directors. Although, I'm guessing Williams knew what he was getting into when he first expressed interest in working on TFA with Abrams.

Many see Gia as the next JW, because he writes in an "old fashioned" symphonic style!

Because it's been on i will give the spotlight to a composer who is around the same age and writes in a positively 'old-fashioned' style and even knows how to orchestrate. It's a given that Zimmer shouldn't/wouldn't/couldn't touch stuff like this but if the hailed 'symphonic' Giacchino finally would even get around such a good and competent themes-and-variations approach and write a tune not in mortal danger of expiring due to galloping shortness of breath after 6 notes, i would be more than willing to sing his praises (that he can do it i know, it's just so infrequent i don't even remember when).

That sounds great, thank you for this

Many see Gia as the next JW, because he writes in an "old fashioned" symphonic style!

Because it's been on i will give the spotlight to a composer who is around the same age and writes in a positively 'old-fashioned' style and even knows how to orchestrate. It's a given that Zimmer shouldn't/wouldn't/couldn't touch stuff like this but if the hailed 'symphonic' Giacchino finally would even get around such a good and competent themes-and-variations approach and write a tune not in mortal danger of expiring due to galloping shortness of breath after 6 notes, i would be more than willing to sing his praises (that he can do it i know, it's just so infrequent i don't even remember when).

Wow, Christopher Gordon is the next John Williams!

;)

Judging by the sheet music yea - there were a TON of rewrites - almost every cue.

The 'family theme' was completely rewritten at one point and replaced with the one we know now. I'd love to know if any cues featuring the original theme were recorded.

Can the sheet music for the original Family Theme be found anywhere?

Well yea, that's how I saw it :P

Where?

Mockup if you haven't heard it:

And yeah, Jay, I was surprised by all the alternates when I first saw the sheets. The original melody does kind of feel like a first draft compared to the film version, but it's interesting anyway as an unused Williams theme.

Was any of that actually recorded?

In fact, my very first impression of the music was that it wasn't John Williams who did it.

And you'd be right.

Did I miss something? Do we have confirmation Williams didn't do any of it?

Wow, Christopher Gordon is the next John Williams!

;)

This ship has sailed, unfortunately.

And yeah, Jay, I was surprised by all the alternates when I first saw the sheets. The original melody does kind of feel like a first draft compared to the film version, but it's interesting anyway as an unused Williams theme.

It's really a sketch on a future tune, isn't it? Did Williams record the alternates or only the versions in the movie?

Well, Conrad Pope has an orchestration credit on the original cue, and the film version is labeled as an alternate so I don't think it was merely a sketch. But I'm not sure that original melody could really be called a "theme" either because I don't know if it's repeated elsewhere and the film's version does appear in some cues, just not as frequently...for example it's not in the original versions of Harry and Lupin in the forest, or Sirius talking to Harry outside the Whomping Willow either. So the "Remembering Mother" cue that I posted could have been just a simple variation on the rhythmic ideas and nothing more.

Possibly Williams decided or was asked to quote precisely what we now know as "Window to the Past" in more places based on its memorability, and so it became a more prominent and recognizable theme for every emotional beat in the film, as opposed to the "noodling" variations that he was doing earlier. ;)

Was any of that actually recorded?

Did Williams record the alternates or only the versions in the movie?

I dunno gents, which I why I said before your posts

I'd love to know if any cues featuring the original theme were recorded.

I guess we'll never find out unless the sessions finally leak already, or WB lets one of the specialty labels do an expanded release... but even then, Williams could always nix those cues being released (if they were recorded)....

I thought he couldn't do Goblet of Fire because he was already commited to ROTS, Spielberg's 2 films, and wanted to do Geisha.

That was the "main" factor but the scoring process of POA certainly didn't encourage him to continue (allegedly).

It's crazy that there is almost nothing known about the PoA scoring process considering it got us one of JW post 1993 masterpieces.

David Arnold's action music is what some accuse of Williams's modern action music of being. Directionless, hyper-kinetic noodling, Mickey Mousing every beat. Sound and fury signifying nothing. Truck driver and mediant modulations every 8 bars due to a lack of small-scale harmonic interest.

David Arnold's action music is what some accuse of Williams's modern action music of being. Directionless, hyper-kinetic noodling, Mickey Mousing every beat. Sound and fury signifying nothing. Truck driver and mediant modulations every 8 bars due to a lack of small-scale harmonic interest.

Bollocks!

Arnold demonstrated with aplomb that he's more than capable of the big orchestral sound when he did ID4. If he could go back to those sensibilities minus the massive dollop of cheese that score had then I'd be happy for him to do a future Star Wars score, not that that's ever likely to happen.

Yes, Desplat is scoring Rogue One.

The current conversation is concerning other, Future Star Wars films. Disney has one planned per year through 2019 currently.

I am sure the director of each Star Wars movie gets a lot of input into who scores their film.

With all the different Star Wars themes that JW already composed, I wonder why nobody has invented an "Automatic Star Wars Music Generator".

Take a little bit of Force's Theme, add a pinch of Luke's Theme and finish with a random fanfare.

I thought he couldn't do Goblet of Fire because he was already commited to ROTS, Spielberg's 2 films, and wanted to do Geisha.

That was the "main" factor but the scoring process of POA certainly didn't encourage him to continue (allegedly).

It's crazy that there is almost nothing known about the PoA scoring process considering it got us one of JW post 1993 masterpieces.

Williams spoke highly about Cuarón and enjoyed working with him.

I would imagine that, at least for the proper "Episodes," they will defer to John Williams as long as he is willing and able regardless of the director.

I would think so, too. Williams probably gets first dibs on the episode films. When Abrams was announced as director, many people were sure that Gia would score the film. That obviously didn't happen, but could have if Williams wasn't willing.

Mr. Erskine replied -

"Hey thanks for reaching out. Can't really go into detail I'm afraid but I was lucky enough to be part of the team that helped to create the music that featured in both of the Force Awakens trailers that have appeared. Was an amazing experience and obviously a huge honor and a privilege. And the reaction to the pieces has been mind blowing. All the best, FE"

Considering Disney has worked with JNH 4 times, with their most recent film (Maleficent) being the most successful of the 4 and one of JNH's best, they may like him for a future SW film. Also with Lawrence Kasdan having a huge part of the history and future of SW, and considering he has worked with JNH 6 times, and keeps going back to him even after working with Silvestri, Horner and even Williams himself shows their good relationship. All the seeds for a positive and potentially incredible outcome.