Film cues that remind you of a pop song

Sharkissimo

I've always loved this theme from GLADIATOR, but can't help notice the similarity to Tears For Fears's Mad World, later covered by Gary Jules and featured in DONNY DARKO. It's that haunting i-III-VII progression that gives it a modal feel. It's more apparently in the Zimmer cue when it modulates to F minor. Even the horn melody is similar.

Silvestri's "Seeing is Believing" from THE POLAR EXPRESS reminds me of Roger Hodgson's "Lovers in the Wind" from IN THE EYE OF THE STORM. Although rather the other way around, since the latter came first. But I heard the former second.

What pop are so you're talking about?

Oh, I just meant that Moroder's film music sounds closer to disco/pop music, instead of a specific song. After I posted my reply, I realized I mis-interpreted the title of the thread lol

• 1 month later...

The other way around to what the thread title says, but there's an old Doctor Dre or Snoop Dog track which always reminds me of The Lost World because its main hook is the raptors motif from that movie. The melody is exactly the same.

But I've never been able to remember the name of the track and it bugs the fuck out of me!

The other way around to what the thread title says, but there's an old Doctor Dre or Snoop Dog track which always reminds me of The Lost World because its main hook is the raptors motif from that movie. The melody is exactly the same.

But I've never been able to remember the name of the track and it bugs the fuck out of me!

What's the raptor motif?

What's the raptor motif?

The one we hear in the long grass and during the action stuff afterwards.

John Williams clearly ripped off the End Title (Theme From 'Jaws') from Michael Jackson:

I don't hear it...honestly

The vocal melody from 1:09 to 1:32 is almost identical to the WHOLE theme of the End Titles from Jaws which is played first by the Piccolo and then by woodwinds and horns. There are only a few rhytmic differences and of course the key is different (D major for Jaws, A major for the Michael Jackson song). It's a known case of possible plagiarism (as it has been mentioned, the song came out many years after John Williams' score).

John Williams clearly ripped off the End Title (Theme From 'Jaws') from Michael Jackson:

I don't hear it...honestly

The vocal melody from 1:09 to 1:32 is almost identical to the WHOLE theme of the End Titles from Jaws which is played first by the Piccolo and then by woodwinds and horns. There are only a few rhytmic differences and of course the key is different (D major for Jaws, A major for the Michael Jackson song). It's a known case of possible plagiarism (as it has been mentioned, the song came out many years after John Williams' score).

Alas, you're right! I can hear it now. The D major/A major switch threw me off

What's the raptor motif?

The one we hear in the long grass and during the action stuff afterwards.

Ahhh, you mean William's nod to Steiner's KING KONG.

@1:01

21_10_M2_Steiner_in_the_Grass_page_001.j

21_10_M2_Steiner_in_the_Grass_page_002.j

21_10_M2_Steiner_in_the_Grass_page_003.j

• 2 years later...

No specific pop song but 4:45 of Rozsa's "Morte D'Arthur/Resignation/To The Death" from Knights of the Round Table sounds like something you could hear in modern "music"

On 28.11.2014 at 9:38 PM, Corellian2019 said:

Anything by Giorgio Moroder, especially "Chase" from Midnight Express

Can't believe I missed this earlier. "Chase" is reminiscent of a pop song, because it WAS based on a pop song, in a way. Or, to be more precise, Moroder was asked to emulate the bass line of his Donna Summer song "I Feel Love":

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This is pretty much a prog rock riff, can't think of anything specific it would compare to atm 

Randy Edelman in general. This could have been an 80s pop anthem, like "Jump" or "Gloria" or something

The choir from Horner's Brainstorm (at 1:13)

Always reminds me of this (at 0:50)

Which was sampled from this (at 3:33):