John Carpenter to release an album of imaginary movie themes

Sharkissimo

John Carpenter’s synth-driven film scores have experienced a cultural resurgence of late, referenced by modern composers in movies like The Guest, Cold In July, and Drive, and inspiring such electronic acts as Steve Moore, Com Truise, Umberto, Power Glove, Pye Corner Audio, and many others. Building on this momentum, Sacred Bones Records will release an album of new Carpenter music on February 3, 2015.

Titled Lost Themes, the album was originally rumored to be unreleased material that Carpenter had discarded for his previous films. But it turns out the songs are all new creations—although listeners are encouraged to envision Kurt Russell screaming in the foreground as they play. In the press release, Carpenter calls them “little moments of score from movies made in our imaginations.”

http://www.avclub.com/article/john-carpenter-release-album-imaginary-movie-theme-211322

:rock2:

Yeah, I heard about this awhile back. I'm delighted to learn that it is in fact NEW tracks and not unreleased themes from his past. I've long since wanted to hear Carpenter's trademark minimalism with more modern stylings. This could be it!

• 1 year later...

Has anyone been to any of John Carpenter's concerts on his world tour this year?  I will be going to see him on Halloween and am really looking forward to seeing the horror film legend in the flesh.  His music is ostensibly so simple, but there is just something about it that makes it work.

I got to see when he came through Austin back in June. It was such a cool show! And all the more amazing since it's the kind of thing I never would have even conceived of getting to see.

The band was a bit more rockin' than the mainly electronic sound on some of his scores—that Escape from New York video is a good example. I thought the Halloween theme in particular sounded incredible with the full band.

Here's a potato quality pic I took:

FullSizeRender.jpg

On 12/8/2014 at 0:15 PM, Stefancos said:

Sounds like rubbish to me.

There's no such thing as "imagined" movie themes.

Nonsense! Of course you can imagine movie themes. U2 and Brian Eno already did this in 1995 with Passengers: Original Soundtracks.

1.    "United Colours"      From United Colours of Plutonium (Japan)    
2.    "Slug"      From Slug (Germany)   
3.    "Your Blue Room"      From Par-delà les nuages / Beyond the Clouds (Italy)   
4.    "Always Forever Now"      From Always Forever Now (Hong Kong)    
5.    "A Different Kind of Blue"      From An Ordinary Day (USA)    
6.    "Beach Sequence"      From Par-delà les nuages / Beyond the Clouds (Italy)    
7.    "Miss Sarajevo" (featuring Luciano Pavarotti)    From Miss Sarajevo (USA)   
8.    "Ito Okashi" (featuring Holi)    From Ito Okashi / Something Beautiful (Japan) 
9.    "One Minute Warning"      From Ghost in the Shell (Japan) 
10.    "Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long)"      From Gibigiane / Reflections (Italy)   
11.    "Elvis Ate America" (featuring Howie B)    From Elvis Ate America (USA)  
12.    "Plot 180"      From Hypnotize (Love Me 'til Dawn) (UK)   
13.    "Theme from The Swan"      From The Swan (Hungary)    
14.    "Theme from Let's Go Native"      From Let's Go Native (South Africa)   

220px-Passengersost1.jpg

Yes, there have been several 'imagined' soundtrack albums. A lot of what Thomas Bergersen and those Two Steps from Hell guys do, would fall in that category (ultimately also used in a whole lot of films and especially trailers).

Also, as you say, Brian Eno has done several such albums. Moby's I LIKE TO SCORE album is another example.

Of all the film composers that made an impression on me in my formative years, I never thought I would ever get the chance to see and hear John Carpenter live!  So it was with much anticipation and excitement that I made my first visit this evening to the Troxy, a former art deco cinema in east London.  It was opened in 1933 and the first film screened there was King Kong, so it felt somehow quite fitting to see the master of horror there with his band of six musicians, including his son Cody on synths.

I was in the unreserved seating in the upper level and managed to get in early enough to secure a pretty good seat near the middle, but not too far back.  The place was packed by the time the show started.  Carpenter played music from most of his self-scored films, as well as some selections from both of his Lost Themes albums and Ennio Morricone's music for The Thing.

I most enjoyed Assault on Precinct 13 (perhaps my favourite of Carpenter's films and scores) and Halloween, which got the biggest cheer of the evening - and what a thrill to hear Carpenter and his band perform it on the very day in question!  The concert lasted a little under an hour and a half without an interval, which I thought was just about the right length.  Concertgoers had been encouraged to dress up for the occasion, with Carpenter himself selecting one lucky girl for having the best Halloween costume.

DSC02046_zpswcosuszq.jpg