BloodBoal

TNG followed the same format as TOS: the hot guest star will fall in love with a regular and be forgotten next week. Except they tended to use Riker as the loverman like Kirk because he was younger and more flirty than Picard. But Picard still got his: Vash, Famke, and Beverly notably. DS9 with its serial format could take time to be a soap opera in space and have lasting love relationships.

I feel like he and Beverly had the best chemistry, but it never really went anywhere, sadly. Except the alternate future in All Good Things, they never got together, not even in the movies. But I guess he did get together with Anji?

When are people gonna realize that "Generations" is shite, from begining to end?

Malcolm McDowell even had a major falling-out with Paramount because of it.

That's just your opinion. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Of course they are. Everyone has one. Even you.

Malcolm McDowell's an asshole.

He may be, but what Paramount did to him was nasty, and inexcusable.

Anyway, anyone - even if they are an asshole - who was in "If...." gets my vote.

What did they do to him?

The story goes thus...

MM is on a press junket for "Generations" when he learns of Lindsay Anderson's death. MM is, naturally, upset, and wants to attend his funeral (I don't really need to remind JWfan of how important LA was to MM!). Paramount says "ok, if you do this date, we'll send you to the UK afterwards". Paramount then reneges on the agreement, leaving MM stranded. He makes the funeral...just. Not very nice, eh?

That's show business!

Unfortunately.

I think it's cool though that McCarthy not only scored the pilot and series finale for TNG but an actual film which was the last one for the Enterprise-D so it was full circle.

I tend to prefer Chattaway's music. In my opinion, Deep Space Nine had the best scores when it comes to Trek TV series. I barely listen to the TNG music (with a major exception being Final Mission by Ron Jones), yet all 4 discs on the Deep Space Nine set get constant plays. Aside from some of Chattaway's music, the La-La Land TNG set is useless.

• 2 months later...

So after seeing all 4 TNG films, answer me this Alvar. I've always assumed that the TOS films were more accessible to the average movie watcher, and that the TNG films aimed too much on the established fanbase. Is this true in your opinion?

Generations kinda makes you wonder why you even like the TNG crew. The opening scenes in the post-TOS movie era obviously written by TNG era writers make it painfully clear with only three returning cast members how charismatic and loveable the old crew is and how comparatively dull the TNG crew is.

They crashed my favorite ship, killed Kirk, made Picard into a lunatic with a machine gun, straightened Deanna's hair and completely ruined my image of a young Picard with Tom Felton.

Data was always prominent in the movies, I know he's a popular character but the films could've done a bit more in other aspects. Riker feels almost a side character in Nemesis especially. And I know Crusher wasn't everyone's cup of tea but as Gates McFadden said, she could've easily been left out of the films especially Insurrection.

As for Generations, they killed Kirk.

Picard and Data were obviously the focus of the movies.

Riker's character arc seemed to be complete by the end of Best of Both Worlds, but he stayed on the Enterprise instead of becoming a Captain. He did nothing for the rest of the show. What WAS there to do with him? According to the writers/producers...not much. He, uh, got married. And then finally became a Captain. 'Kay.

Worf: awesome character, they did great things when they brought him to DS9. Then he just shows up in the TNG movies and...shoots stuff? 'Kay.

The rest of them did nothing in the movies.