Disaster Movie Suite - Henry Mancini

Omen II

Technically, I guess you can shoehorn Jaws in as a disaster film, but we all know that Williams' famous disaster trilogy in the 70s was comprised of the following: The Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake and The Towering Inferno. He should have ended this suite with The Rescue from Poseidon Adventure.

Technically, I guess you can shoehorn Jaws in as a disaster film, but we all know that Williams' famous disaster trilogy in the 70s was comprised of the following: The Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake and The Towering Inferno. He should have ended this suite with The Rescue from Poseidon Adventure.

No you can't. There is no disaster in the film? No technically about it. Next E.T. will be a disaster movie.

E.T. is SS most cross-genre film. It transgenred. John's score is too.

Yes new word transgenre.

E.T. is SS most cross-genre film. It transgenred.

Well . . . there was that scene when E.T. cross-dressed, so you may be onto something there. . . .

161512_100001945737561_6210546_n.jpg

• 3 years later...

Sorry to come late to the party, but I just read on the Grammy's website, that this arrangement for the "Disaster movie suite" got a nomination in 1976 for "best intrumental arrangement".

Ordered the CD!

On 12/24/2014 at 3:52 PM, Omen II said:

Henry Mancini recorded an album of film music in 1976 with the London Symphony Orchestra which included a Disaster Movie Suite made up of Earthquake, The Towering Inferno and Jaws. While I knew of the album I had never heard any of it, but noticed today that someone has posted a few selections on YouTube.

Given that it features rare cover versions of Johnny's two 1974 disaster main titles, I thought you might enjoy hearing it if it is new to you too. I think it's rather good.

Thanks, Omen. That suite (or one very much like it) was performed at Filmharmonic '76, at the Royal Albert Hall, and was televised by ITV.

That must have been quite something - I wonder if the tapes for the TV broadcast still exist.  I have seen a scan of the programme for the Filmharmonic '76 concert and the concert also included The Poseidon Adventure amongst the other disaster movie selections.

Incidentally, I believe that Filmharmonic '76 was the first of four occasions to date on which John Williams has conducted at the Royal Albert Hall.  The orchestra was the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

On 29 January 2018 at 5:41 PM, Bespin said:

Sorry to come late to the party, but I just read on the Grammy's website, that this arrangement for the "Disaster movie suite" got a nomination in 1976 for "best intrumental arrangement".

Ordered the CD!

Wow! Who did the arrangement? Was it JW?

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Wow! Who did the arrangement? Was it JW?

I'm asking myself the same question, I hope it will be written in the booklet of the CD, I'll tell you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm now realizing I have two sets of memories for this recording - one from childhood, listening to a library copy of the vinyl in about 1981/2 and forgetting most details except that it was Earthquake and Towering Inferno and an uncompressed concert style recording, and one from adulthood, where the CD was stocked in the classical music shop where I worked (and where I met JW the same year this reissue compilation came out, 1993) - but I hadn't put them together. I think I must've dismissed the CD without looking closely at it or forgotten about it after it sold out so never made the connection. Thanks for helping me recall!

• 2 years later...
On 29/1/2018 at 10:37 PM, Omen II said:

That must have been quite something - I wonder if the tapes for the TV broadcast still exist.  I have seen a scan of the programme for the Filmharmonic '76 concert and the concert also included The Poseidon Adventure amongst the other disaster movie selections.

Incidentally, I believe that Filmharmonic '76 was the first of four occasions to date on which John Williams has conducted at the Royal Albert Hall.  The orchestra was the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

i was at this concert and the Disaster Movie suite was as recorded by Mancini but with Poseidon ‘bolted’ onto the beginning 

On 24/12/2014 at 5:31 PM, Thor said:

Thanks. Nothing from POSEIDON, but that's understandable. There isn't really a whole lot of interesting score in it.

It's good music for a claustrophobic interior upside down. When you think about it in this way, you can admit that it's great.

On 04/03/2022 at 10:05 PM, Darth Mulder said:

It's good music for a claustrophobic interior upside down. When you think about it in this way, you can admit that it's great.

Yes, it serves its purpose in the film. But I've never been thrilled with it as a standalone listening experience.