Alien 5 by Neill Blomkamp

Jay

I couldn't even bring myself to call Prometheus visually "flawless". Clean and crisp, is about as much as I could muster. Which let's face it loads of films are. This one merely kids people into thinking it's more interesting on the eyes because it has modern sci-fi production design, but that veneer has no affect on me.

It was guilty of one movie crime... It was simply boring. And all the "questions" and "themes" raised were uninteresting.

I remember watching the first 10 minutes with some mild interest. But that's it.

Karol

Inception, a seminal sci-fi film? A reference point? I just don't see it.

Sure, many people loved it, but is it considered a classic? I don't think so.

It's about as classic as any 5-year-old movie can be. Obviously, more time is required to see a film's proper position.

But it's definitely a reference point in popular culture, film literature and general knowledge. Every time I've asked an audience (of young people) about a science fiction film they loved -- or a film score they loved -- INCEPTION is the one that comes up the most often.

Don't waste your time Thor! It's still too fashionable to deride any Nolan productions. It'll take several decades for the masses (both the rabid critics and the deluded pseudo-intellectual fanboys) to approach his work with even tempers.

I also didn't hate Prometheus but Alex is completely right about why it isn't what it could have been.

If Alex likes The Martian, after declaring Interstellar a 2/10 experience, I'll eat my hat!

It has enjoyable elements. It seemed unremarkable and too much of a sequel setup the first time I saw it. I watched it again recently and found it was ok. I'd rather see the rest of that story than more Alien stuff.

Do you think the movie treats the audience like they are idiots? Some seem to think so. Do you agree?

So many people say that about so many things nowadays. I don't really know what it means. Does that make me an idiot?

Wow, that makes you an idiot!

But to be serious, I don't really agree. And I don't think that's Lindelof's MO either. Could someone give specific examples of moments where they feel they're being treated as idiots? I don't know the film well enough to recall possibilities.

Don't waste your time Thor! It's still too fashionable to deride any Nolan productions

I'm not deriding anything!

I'm just doubting the fact that it's considered a milestone in sci-fi cinema (regardless of what I think of the film itself). I don't think it had an influence on the sci-fi genre as a whole, that's all.

Well I barely remember this flick, but with Lindelof scripts, it seems to be that shit happens, usually raising questions, we're supposed to accept it and not ask logical questions, typically building toward something that is either never sufficiently explained, raises more questions or is in some way a total letdown, we're supposed to accept it and not ask logical questions. By the end, there doesn't seem to have been any kind of a point to the last two hours of our lives.

Wow, that makes you an idiot!

But to be serious, I don't really agree. And I don't think that's Lindelof's MO either. Could someone give specific examples of moments where they feel they're being treated as idiots? I don't know the film well enough to recall possibilities.

I don't remember the lines but the general over-exposition in the dialogue of Prometheus made me want to throw bricks at my TV screen. BTW, Ridley Scott no longer trusts the intelligence of the audience. He actually said so in interviews. This could explain a few things, of course.

Alex

The only part I remember being "spoon feedy" was the presentation that the two main characters give the rest of the crew towards the beginning. Some clumsy writing there. Doesn't help that the dude was a rather stiff, meatheaded actor.

The only part I remember being "spoon feedy" was the presentation that the two main characters give the rest of the crew towards the beginning. Some clumsy writing there. Doesn't help that the dude was a rather Steef, meatheaded actor.

I find that remark...insulting!

You mean Holloway? Not only did I hate the character, I couldn't stand the actor who played him.

No idea why. He just rubbed me the wrong way. If I was David, I would have spiked his drink too.

Oh yeah, why did he do that again. I prefer the original Alien. We didn't know who these people were or where they came from, but we understood their actions.

Also, the David viral marketing was a ripoff of A.I.'s David viral marketing,

Scott never took that Ken Loach approach again. I wonder why. Perhaps it was a contribution of Dan O'Bannon?

The Ken Loach Approach ... I like the sound of that.

Rest me to say that I don't quite agree that Alien or Blade Runner are dead serious. Yes, they might not contain actors cracking jokes like probably in The Martian but I can't say that it's Ridley Scott doing very grave and serious science fiction. For instance, in Alien there a moment when we see space and hear classical music. The first thing that comes to our mind is: Aha, the director is doing a little Kubrick thingy here, then we see Ash simply turning of the music he was listening to. It wasn't part of the score at all. To me that's humor too.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1-11-2015 at 4:38 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

If Alex likes The Martian, after declaring Interstellar a 2/10 experience, I'll eat my hat!

Well, you don't have to eat your hat, TGP. I didn't like it. But I thought the film was all right, that is, until the people on Earth were going to bring him back home. From that moment on it was a borefest. It would have been better if the movie was just Matt Damon struggling to stay alive on Mars. That whole NASA "Let's get him back, boys" feeling is simply not interesting.

In fact, Saving Private Ryan is a whole lot better than Saving Astronaut Watley.

Alex - probably giving up on movies from now on

• 3 months later...

Neill Blomkamp's Aliens sequel is "worth the wait" says Sigourney Weaver

“Well, I think it is. Ridley asked Neill not to make our Alien ’til after ‘Prometheus 2.’  [Ridley] wanted his movie to shoot and be released first. But it’s an amazing script, and Neill and I are really excited about doing it. We’re doing other things until we can get going on that. I’d be really surprised if we didn’t do it, because it’s such a great script, and we love working together. So, it’s just going to take a little bit longer to get out to you, but it’ll be worth the wait.”

On 12/26/2015 at 0:57 AM, Alexcremers said:

In fact, Saving Private Ryan is a whole lot better than Saving Astronaut Watley.

Alex - probably giving up on movies from now on

Saving Astronaut Watley is a hell of a lot more fun and has rewatchability something Saving Private Ryan has none of.

8 hours ago, Joey said:

Saving Astronaut Watley is a hell of a lot more fun and has rewatchability something Saving Private Ryan has none of.

First hour was rather good but forgettable fluff. The Saving Astronaut Watley part is when the film completely lost me. Too boring and unoriginal for me, Joey, and certainly impossible to rewatch.

Alex - who has never seen Joey drool over a Ridley Scott movie before

Nah ... Joey only talks about Alien to say how much better Aliens is. 

Really, The Martian, fun and rewatchable? These are extremely positive comments for Joey. Even if he happens to think that Alien is fine (because it was a good platform for Cameron's superior Aliens), you must admit that this is an unexpected reaction from Joey. I mean, Ridley Scott satisfying Joey ... How the world has changed!

Alex - putting disturbing images into people's heads

I bet Joe loves Thelma and Louise too Alex

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Jason loves Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Joe loves Scott....

Mate, you really have become a bad parody of yourself.

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Nah ... Joey only talks about Alien to say how much better Aliens is. 

Really, The Martian, fun and rewatchable? These are extremely positive comments for Joey. Even if he happens to think that Alien is fine (because it was a good platform for Cameron's superior Aliens), you must admit that this is an unexpected reaction from Joey. I mean, Ridley Scott satisfying Joey ... How the world has changed!

I just like more than SPR.

I don't own either film

My views on this project hasn't changed -- I'm skeptical because a) Blomkamp hasn't made a good film since DISTRICT 9 and b) I hate the fact that he's ignoring 3 and 4. On the other hand, I really can't get enough of the ALIEN universe, so any chance to spend more time there is great news. I'm continually torn between these two poles. Whatever Weaver or others say.