Alien 5 by Neill Blomkamp

Jay

I just liked the first half of District 9. You know, as long as it was followings its satire/allegory concept. As soon as it degenerated into yet another mindless action flick, I lost interest.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I just liked the first half of District 9. You know, as long as it was followings its satire/allegory concept. As soon as it degenerated into yet another mindless action flick, I lost interest.

Karol

I liked the second half too; that's where the antagonist turns into a sympathetic protagonist -- one of the best examples of a successful transition of this kind that I've seen in recent years. Blomkamp showed lots of promise with this film, but then he faltered a bit with ELYSIUM (which is OK, but on the mediocre side) and then fell flat competely with CHAPPIE. So the evolution is not promising. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He only has three feature films to his credit. I've not seen any of his earlier shorts.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Well said! I agree!

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

It's been many years, but I seem to recall that the latter half's action was quite novel and very well done, I liked it. 

That's OK. I've long since come to terms with the continuity glitch in this project, so at this point they can just as well go all out.

I doubt they're getting Carrie Henn, though. She has never played in anything else. I believe she's been working as a teacher since the early 2000s.

I have no issue with Newt's resurrection.  As far as I'm concerned, Alien 3 dumped continuity by basically dumping Aliens.  She probably has the most interesting possibilities in terms of character and mental state.

I have absolutely zero problems with making a direct sequel to Alien/Aliens that ignores Alien3 and Resurrection completely.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

They should cast Mae Whitman!

That's a good call. I had to google her, but she looks kinda like a 20's-something Newt.

I can understand why you guys have no issues with the continuity glitch, but as someone who obsess over this thing -- especially in the ALIEN-related universe -- it got my knickers in a twist, and continues to do so (even if I've come to terms with it).

But yeah -- I wouldn't be gutted if they scrapped this project, and instead opted for a sequel where ALIEN: RESSURECTION left off (lots of possibilities!).

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

But yeah -- I wouldn't be gutted if they scrapped this project, and instead opted for a sequel where ALIEN: RESSURECTION left off (lots of possibilities!).

They should just reboot the universe!

39 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Jay, I posted a news article whereas you embedded just a single sample of the art. 

Yes... the same news I posted on Friday :P

(And the art I posted is the only new art that's out now;  The other art in that article is from a year ago and is on page 1 of this thread!)

No worries!

I still hope this movie gets made; It sounds more interesting to me than whatever Ridley Scott is doing with the Prometheus characters

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

They should just reboot the universe!

Please no. That's an even worse idea than the Blomkamp project.

3 hours ago, Drax said:

I think this project needs major retooling.

Anyone else see how old Sigourney looks now? Soon she'll look like that picture of Amanda in Aliens.

https://grapevine.is/news/2016/04/30/ripley-meets-ripley/

To be fair, that's without makeup.

Still, I'm curious to see how Blomkamp is justifying a time gap of approximately 17 years between ALIEN and ALIENS (Newt was about 10 in ALIENS, and is supposed to be 27 now), when Weaver and Biehn are CLEARLY 30 years older.

• 2 months later...

Sigourney Weaver re-confirms Alien 5 ignores Alien 3 and 4

Article is full of other info, such as there is a reunion happening at Comic-Con to celebrate its 30th Anniversary (it opened July 18, 1986)

To commemorate the release of the 1986 action/sci-fi classic, EW can reveal that San Diego’s Comic-Con will host an Aliens reunion on Saturday, July 23. Both Cameron and Weaver will participate in the Q&A in the 6,500-seat Hall H, along with producer Gale Anne Hurd, Bill “Game Over” Paxton, Lance Henriksen, Paul Reiser, Michael Biehn, and the all-grown-up Carrie Henn.

That is an awesome line-up. Fantastic they got Cameron involved; he's always a fascinating listen if you're interested in filmmaking. Doesn't just spout off the usual platitudes and says it how it is.

Would be interested to hear more about his thoughts on Prometheus and what his vision for Alien 5 was (before Alien vs Predator happened :sarcasm:).

It was never off; Only delayed so that Ridley could film his Prometheus sequel first (as both films would need to use the same sound stages and other Fox properties, plus Fox doesn't want them to open close to each other anyway)

Cool that Carrie Henn is involved in the reunion.  Would be cool if they worked her into the film as an adult somehow, provided that she is willing or interested in acting again.

Until they need money for child support or want a new wing added to their house :)

4 hours ago, WojinPA said:

There's nothing wrong with that. She didn't stay in acting to keep her skills active anyway. 

In the eyes of execs there's everything wrong with that, don't be naive! 

That doesn't mean they all are standing in line. One swallow does not a summer make.

That being said, I think that Christopher Nolan would love to do a Bond movie. 

14 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Cool that Carrie Henn is involved in the reunion.  Would be cool if they worked her into the film as an adult somehow, provided that she is willing or interested in acting again.

Carrie Henn retired from all showbusiness after ALIENS, and now works as a school teacher. Michael Biehn also mentioned awhile back that the role was up for grabs. I think someone suggested Mae Whitman earlier in this thread; I think she's a good pick. Only trouble is -- they said the character is now 27 years old. That doesn't really make sense, as she was, what, 9-10 in the original? So only 17 years has passed, but Ripley and Hicks are 30 years older? Can makeup really knock off 13-14 years off their real age?

4 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

I they bring Ripley back and she isn't played by a good looking blonde I'll eat my hat. 

What?