Alien 5 by Neill Blomkamp

Jay

Technically, it's possible, since Scott says Alien and Blade Runner could be taking place in the same universe. Of course, Deckard lives in 2019 and Ripley in 2127, or something that.

IIRC the four films purposely never mention what year they take place in.

I don't remember if Prometheus changed that, nor if any of the various Aliens comics gave a date to things.

Sure, but I am pretty sure the films themselves never mention a date. Of course the fans have thrown together a timeline

18 AD

• A lone Engineer travels to Earth and is killed and crucified by Romans.

36 AD

• Engineers learning of the murder of their own kind from their creation decide to exterminate all life of Earth by use of the chemical agent A0-3959x.91 – 15

:lol: Still cracks me up!

Technically, it's possible, since Scott says Alien and Blade Runner could be taking place in the same universe.

Typical fan-service bullshit statement!

Actually, it's no secret that the two worlds co-exist. It's been a known fact for decades. An example is the 'building better worlds' tagline that is displayed at the huge floating billboards in BLADE RUNNER (in fact, I seem to remember that Weyland-Utani -- the origin of that tagline -- is mentioned explicitly too). SOLDIER also exists in the BLADE RUNNER universe (as it refers to the battle at Tannhauser Gate), and hence ALIEN, as do the PREDATOR movies eventually. So it's a complex world!

But a meeting between Ripley and Deckard seem impossible at this point. Ripley -- given Weaver's age -- would have to be the ALIEN: RESSURECTION clone that lands on the post-apocalyptic Earth at the end of the film. That is several hundred years after the plot in BLADE RUNNER. So even if Deckard is indeed an android (as the special edition suggests) who ages extremely slowly -- given Ford's advanced age since he played Deckard last -- I doubt he would live for a thousand years! The other androids only lived for a brief period of time, after all.

I know you were joking, Stefan, but I had to take it seriously as the fanboy that I am.

(what would have been awesome, though, would be a couple of press shots of the two icons dressed up in their old clothing, seen chatting in a location that displays both universes....then the timeline and the fact that they're now in their 60s and 70s wouldn't matter so much).

Thor, there is no "special edition" of Blade Runner.

I know there's an "Off-World" blimp but "Building Better Worlds"?!

Alex

You know what I mean...the one with the unicorn sequence hinting at Deckard's possible replicant origins. Can't remember if it's called 'special edition' or 'director's cut' or whatever.

I seem to remember the 'building better worlds' tagline in one of the floating ads. PROMETHEUS, obviously, links the two universes by suggesting a connection between the Tyrell and Weyland-Utani corporations.

And no, Stefan, I was not aware that OUTLAND takes place in the ALIEN universe. What are the connections?

Outland was influenced by Alien but the only mutual design artist is costume designer John Mollo.

Alex

Oh dear, so Star Wars takes place in the same universe, too. ;)

Karol

So just some overlap in the behind-the-scenes crew, not the narrative/universe.

I seem to remember the 'building better worlds' tagline in one of the floating ads.

Well, when Ridley Scott said Alien and BR could coexist in the same universe, he mainly referred to the design.

The company slogan "Building Better worlds" is from Prometheus and doesn't appear in BR. The Off-World blimp voice in Blade Runner goes like this: "A new life awaits you in the Off-World colonies. The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure ..."

Another slogan is Tyrell's "More Human Than Human ".

But what about this?!!!

alien-prometheus-02_zps4ef16430.jpg

Actually, PROMETHEUS cemented the link between the two in this screen:

http://i.imgur.com/tEKt5.jpeg

I'll have to rewatch BLADE RUNNER to find the Weyland-Utani link, and "Building Better Worlds" (which isn't from PROMETHEUS, btw, but was introduced already in ALIENS, maybe even ALIEN).

I'll have to rewatch BLADE RUNNER to find the Weyland-Utani link,

You won't find it.

The only link is that photo I posted and a particular sound fx and those were reused to cut costs.