"The Last Debate" or Analyzing the Return of the King CR

Faleel

• 5 months later...

I distinctly remember hearing a different version of "Grond - The Hammer of the Underworld" at some point.  In it, the rhaita also doubles the diminished Gondor Theme at 1:00 instead of only playing the Sauron's Theme statements.  Is anyone else familiar with this?  Was it the TE version of the cue?

On 3/8/2016 at 2:41 AM, Gnome in Plaid said:

I distinctly remember hearing a different version of "Grond - The Hammer of the Underworld" at some point.  In it, the rhaita also doubles the diminished Gondor Theme at 1:00 instead of only playing the Sauron's Theme statements.  Is anyone else familiar with this?  Was it the TE version of the cue?

It's not from the TE, Did you see any of the live concerts? it could have been from that.

On 3/10/2016 at 6:43 PM, Faleel said:

It's not from the TE, Did you see any of the live concerts? it could have been from that.

I haven't seen any of the live concerts.  I don't remember where I heard it, but I very distinctly remember hearing the diminished Gondor Theme on rhaita.

• 5 months later...

I didn't know where to enquire about this because of so many different topics on ROTK, but I was listening to the CR and when I got to 'The Mouth of Sauron' and 'For Frodo,' I noticed that it was missing the choir section when Aragorn is being tempted by Sauron. Haven't noticed its absence before for some reason, unless I'm having a weird day.

At 0:10 - 0:35

6 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I didn't know where to enquire about this because of so many different topics on ROTK, but I was listening to the CR and when I got to 'The Mouth of Sauron' and 'For Frodo,' I noticed that it was missing the choir section when Aragorn is being tempted by Sauron. Haven't noticed its absence before for some reason, unless I'm having a weird day.

This is sound design and not part of the score. 

Okay, so now that this thread has ruined my perfect world in which I didn't know how imperfect the FOTR CRS were, here's a question about For Frodo. The OP says that the live to projection cue has several changes. Could someone elaborate? Please don't tell me that they changed any choir-related things before Gollum joins the fray. I want to hear my choir perform the CR version of that portion of heavenly music.

• 2 months later...

It's a shame so much of "Allegiance to Denethor" is dialed out in the final cut of the film; it's one of my favorite cues in the entire series.  Do we know what the four brass chords at the end were meant to underscore?  Some transition to leaving the city that was removed when they broke up the scene?

On 20/11/2016 at 0:28 AM, Gnome in Plaid said:

It's a shame so much of "Allegiance to Denethor" is dialed out in the final cut of the film; it's one of my favorite cues in the entire series.  Do we know what the four brass chords at the end were meant to underscore?  Some transition to leaving the city that was removed when they broke up the scene?

A transitional shot of Minas Tirith citizens I believe.  The 'Pippin's vows' section of this composition was restored for the live to projection performances.

• 4 weeks later...

This has probably been discussed before, but my one criticism of the ROTK CR's would be the inclusion of the shorter film reveal of Anduril rather than the longer one heard on the OST with the lovely Rivendell choral bit (that leads wonderfully into the Minas Tirith theme). I'm sure there's a good reason for this - namely it offers an alternate - and of course I appreciate that we at least have the former, but I guess since the CR presents an otherwise more complete track I'd have preferred the whole thing here. Anyone else feel this way? I tried to do some kind of edit of the two but it was shit, I didn't have the talent unfortunately (story of my life really).

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I may be remembering wrong, but doesn't the OST track Anduril simply combines the music from the Anduril, Flame Of The West CR track with the Rivendell material from The Grace Of Undomiel?

That is my impression as well. There is some alternate material in there as well if I recall correctly.

Well I suppose that would make sense given the length of the Anduril scene (unless something was cut?), but I'm sure there's more than the Grace of Undomiel stuff in there (I take it you're referring to 3:34-3:47 of that track?). Also, lest we forget the Rarities version ('The Muster of Rohan'), which is largely the same as the OST version (minus the big Minas Tirith theme statement), surely suggesting it was intended for the Anduril reveal. Would the alternate version as presented on the Rarities Archive fit the scene?

For the sake of ease:

I did remember wrong: the OST track doesn't combine the music from both scenes. Actually, I looks like the OST track not only offers a longer statement of the Rivendell material, but is also an alternate take/cue. Listen for example to the build-up leading to the Rivendell theme (00:23 on the OST track, 01:44 on the CR track). Though maybe that was also edited out of the CR track... But then, the performance also sounds different to me (maybe it's simply because of the different mix?).

Anyway, what exactly are you trying to do? Combine the first half of the CR track with the second half of the OST track?

The OST Anduril track is the same as the Rarity Version of the cue, minus the somber Arwen Dies/Army Of The Dead music interrupting the splendor, and an added Anduril statement, that may or may not have been edited out for the RA.

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Not 'all Shore' or 'co-composed', but edited with another piece?

Shore's composition uses elements of Epicalypse.  The trailer piece was conducted by Shore and recorded in stems over a single session in late Summer 2003.

Randomly decided this morning to listen to Disc 4 of the ROTK CR.  Is there any more emotionally powerful track on any OST than "The Crack of Doom"?  No matter how many times I've heard it, I'm in tears by the end.  Quite embarrassing.

• 5 years later...

Does anybody know this 4-track CD single for Into The West?

https://www.discogs.com/release/2635539-Annie-Lennox-Into-The-West

I wonder if the "Album Version w/o Orchestra Ending" track could be used to reverse-phase and get the orchestral ending with a clean opening?