"The Last Debate" or Analyzing the Return of the King CR

Faleel

Well people are still making pointless new ones every day (also in forms of polls for specific type cues). It's pretty depressing opening General Discussion if your not a LotR fanboy

I was willing to ride the wave but this kind of opened the sore again. It always comes to the point when there's one too many

The OST Track 1 "A Storm Is Coming" has the opening without an string overlay.

I think you meant that the OST has the opening "with an additional string overlay" or something along those lines.

Looking forward to seeing the finished thread. I love the other two!

come on, there's so many Hobbit/LotR threads it's overwhelming the board.This is exactly why some people want a Hobbit sub-forum and now

I think Ricard should do exactly that.

Yeah I'll possibly return more regularly again if it ever happens. Until then though I'll be low to no profile here.

I'm not leaving I'm just not participating much. And like KM, Joey and others have said having to filter out the LotR stuff is a turn off. No biggie tho tbh, it's easy not bothering.

It's a shame that it's too late for a sub-forum because I have nothing against the discussions taking place. It just gets a little tedious having to skip over them.

Anyway, I think I'm done posting in this topic as I no longer want to get in the way of discussion.

The OST Track 1 "A Storm Is Coming" has the opening without an string overlay.

I think you meant that the OST has the opening "with an additional string overlay" or something along those lines.

I mean without:

CR - There is an extra string overdub at 0:22-0:30

DISC II MOVEMENT VI

The Fields of the Pelennor/The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

The Symphony uses the OST track.

There's some more prominent (new?) brass stings in the Symphony version of Pelennor. Listen to those welping trumpets beginning at 2:23 into movement 6.

Not new, just more prominent.

• 8 months later...

:thumbup: Looks pretty good to me. Great job Fal! Those versed in the LotR music minutiae can probably chime in with more detailed comments.

I had a DVD-rip of that bit before the CR came out, and it's definitely a light choir.

I think it's taken from some other cue (maybe The Grey Havens?) with all the other layers taken out. Certainly, this is one key moment I would extract from an isolated score.

Strangely I never otherwise particularly liked that scene - it's too abstract, and I also don't feel it quite works to have such a serene moment slotted in quickly in an otherwise busy section of the film. I think you need to get more of a sense of the fear of being trapped inside the city, whereas actually all it's doing is giving a quick respite from the fighting.

I seem to remember that the film version of The Crack of Doom contained the Gondor Reborn theme tracked from The Fellowship Reunited.

No, not at all, not even close.

Its still tracked music that shouldn't be there, and I prefer to hear what Shore intended.

Of course even if it means only a few History of the Ring iterations in the score. If that's all Shore wrote, that's all I want to hear! I don't need to hear the same recording 3 times in the course of enjoying the score!

And what I'm talking about has nothing to do with alternates whatsoever. I am still fine with the CRs containing one run-through of the score, from beginning to end, without a bonus track section. But I just wish FOTR didn't retain the tracking and low-choir mix of the final film, they should have gone back to the full recording sessions like they did for TTT and ROTK.

I simply don't want the tracking in there. For example just before Aragorn throws the flaming torch at the last wringwraith - that's tracked in from another cue. We should have gotten what Shore wrote for that moment there. The full untouched cue. Not mostly the full cue, but with 5 seconds replaced by tracked music in the middle.

Why yes, we know EXACTLY how Shore scored that moment - we have the recording! Watch here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9SnZ1c1JYZEhlRDg/view

The bit we're talking about happens around 0:44. His intended music was replaced by tracked music in the film and on the CR.

In fact, you can hear all of Shore's intended music that was replaced by tracked music on the CR in this great thread, all synced to picture:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23525

I blame Canada and that Shore and his crew was still coming up with the logic of how they were going to put these things together. They obviously refined their ideas by the time TTT CR rolled along. Still I don't begrudge those versions of the History of the Ring with such vehemence.

For example just before Aragorn throws the flaming torch at the last wringwraith - that's tracked in from another cue.

Actually its just tracked from eariler in the same cue. ;)

No, not at all, not even close.

Its still tracked music that shouldn't be there, and I prefer to hear what Shore intended.

Not to mention the looping in "Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe" and the "Pass of Caradhras", and the dialed out music in "The Mirror of Galadriel".

Btw does any of you know is the music for Aragorn's rescue at Weathertop, that rhythmic version of Strider's theme just tracked into the Balin's Tomb section when the fellowship runs from the orcs or is that just a restatement of the same material?

I don't think the Fellowship issues are that bad - there are edits that nobody has noticed yet - but it could certainly do with a few adjustments.

Can you please point out these edits now?

Why yes, we know EXACTLY how Shore scored that moment - we have the recording! Watch here:

I prefer the final film version. More effective.

I don't think the Fellowship issues are that bad - there are edits that nobody has noticed yet - but it could certainly do with a few adjustments.

Indeed. And I don't think it's necessary to keep digging up every tracked bit in the CR. It's largely done rather seamlessly.

I do have a quip with the low choral volume though.

I blame Canada and that Shore and his crew was still coming up with the logic of how they were going to put these things together. They obviously refined their ideas by the time TTT CR rolled along. Still I don't begrudge those versions of the History of the Ring with such vehemence.

Why is Canada taking all the heat all of a sudden? You should be thanking us for giving you Howard Shore in the first place!!

But we apologize anyway.

On 9/18/2015 at 2:17 PM, KK. said:
On 9/17/2015 at 7:10 AM, Jay said:

I have no problem with these kinds of changes in the film itself - none whatsoever.

But on CD, I want Shore's untouched recordings.

I have no problem with these kinds of changes in the film itself - none whatsoever.

But on CD, I want Shore's untouched recordings.

Shore didn't want you to have them!

But seriously the FotR CR was a sort of trial run as we have discussed before and after that they found a logic and scheme by which they would compile the TTT and RotK sets. Which is a bit unfortunate but it is still million miles better than something like the Indy Box.

And I am sure we would have found something else to obsess and complain about if the CR would have been perfect. Alternates etc. ;)