Moonraker: The Tadlow Kickstarter campaign

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/681802762/moonraker-new-recording?ref=email

Over the years Tadlow Music has produced scores of new recordings of the music of John Barry incl THE LION IN WINTER, RAISE THE TITANIC, ZULU, THE LAST VALLEY, THE BETSY, MISTER MOSES and 3 CDs of MUSIC FROM THE JAMES BOND FILMS...along with conductor NIC RAINE, they are experts when making new recordings of John's music....so a much requested new recording of MOONRAKER will be certain of the same quality.

So to all the JOHN BARRY fans out there who have requested me to record a new complete CD of MOONRAKER....now is you chance to get such a recording done!

It's a chance for people to put their money where their mouth is.

Backed. Though I wonder what its chances of reaching its goal are, without any special rewards for higher backer levels.

Film score fans who donate should be given input about track order, orchestra size, orchestration, track titles, the mixing process and cover art!

Backed. Though I wonder what its chances of reaching its goal are, without any special rewards for higher backer levels.

Film score fans who donate should be given input about track order, orchestra size, orchestration, track titles, the mixing process and cover art!

A thousand micromanagers. Oh joy!

Certainly not. But hires downloads, production videos (if available) and stuff like that might help raise more money.

Everything on Kickstarter has to be funded in 30 days.

No. That used to be the fixed duration in the beginning, but now they can last longer (at least two or three months).

Then why doesn't everyone do that? Wouldn't a longer timeframe ensure a greater chance of funding?

It's already over $3,000 on the first day. It might happen. Someone should post this on some Bond forums.

Are they using John's manuscripts, or is Nic Raine going to do it all by ear again?

Usually Tadlow uses the manuscripts I think.

Then why doesn't everyone do that? Wouldn't a longer timeframe ensure a greater chance of funding?

I don't know, but I've backed projects with a longer running time. Perhaps it's a default setting, or the conditions vary depending on the timeframe.

It's already over $3,000 on the first day. It might happen. Someone should post this on some Bond forums.

I wonder what the market for a thing like this is. If we take the minimum pledge for actually getting the disc (20 quid) as the "price" of the CD, you have to sell 1250 of them up front to reach the goal.

Though it's nice to see that the average pledge right now is around 80 quid.

The first few days are probably the ones where the money comes in rather easily. It's after that that it gets more difficult.

Someone should post this on some Bond forums.

They have, believe me.

Are they using John's manuscripts, or is Nic Raine going to do it all by ear again?

Usually Tadlow uses the manuscripts I think.

It's just Nic Raine and City of Prague didn't for their 3 CD Bond set, presumably because the scores weren't available.

They vary hugely on one CD.

I guess Fitzpatrick sees all backers as simply advanced purchasers of the CD, but it would certainly be nice to encourage larger donors by offering something more special, like a more prominent credit.

I hope they spend their considerable talents on something else. A 45-minute Bond score of the, let's face it, middling variety that already had multiple releases doesn't need a new recording. It's a fucking waste of time and resources.

I hope they spend their considerable talents on something else. A 45-minute Bond score of the, let's face it, middling variety that already had multiple releases doesn't need a new recording. It's a fucking waste of time and resources.

It's not the best choice, but I'm funding this to support more soundtracks on Kickstarter. If it works for something like Moonraker, the labels could go to the studios and be like "Look how much money we can get before any work is done."

And i like the theme and the space music very much but without Bassey for about 15 minutes of really interesting underscore (ast most)? I would say that even AVTAK is a more deserving candidate.

Probably true but i honestly can't think of a single Barry Bond that should be rerecorded by a conventional symphony orchestra. They either do not offer enough worthwile music for a long cd or use idiosyncratic instrumental choices impossible to recreate.

I would say that even AVTAK is a more deserving candidate.

Definitely, it's one of Barry's best Bond scores. The arrival at the château, the horse chase, the fight at Stacey's house, the bombastic fanfare for Bond carrying her through the fire, and the elegiac variation on AVTAK for Bond hanging on the blimp's tether rope--all terrific cues worthy of a release.

Yeah, OCTOPUSSY's the pits for Barry. Even THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN is more interesting.

Probably true but i honestly can't think of a single Barry Bond that should be rerecorded by a conventional symphony orchestra. They either do not offer enough worthwile music for a long cd or use idiosyncratic instrumental choices impossible to recreate.

The earlier scores are more unconventional (I believe Barry had 8 flutes on THUNDERBALL), but it's more the acoustics of the studios, miking techniques, microphone preamps and other aspects of the engineering that gave them a certain magic. Barry had a strong background in production and knew how to get a feverish sound.

From TMWTGG onwards the Stan Kenton-esque jazz was dropped and his Bond scores became more conventional symphonic works

Really? You don't think FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE or GOLDFINGER could benefit from a new, preferably complete recording?

Yeah, OCTOPUSSY's the pits for Barry. Even THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN is more interesting.

So many people say this and I just don't get it. TMWTGG is boring, sure. But OCTOPUSSY is the pits? I mean, yeah it's a little subdued, but what's wrong with it?

So many people say this and I just don't get it. TMWTGG is boring, sure. But OCTOPUSSY is the pits? I mean, yeah it's a little subdued, but what's wrong with it?

That isn't to say it's terrible, it's just a bit dull by Barry's standards. There is one cue I really like though, and that's the climax of the 'Chase Bomb Theme' for when panic goes off in the circus and Bond defuses it.

TMWTGG has still got some of that Stan Kenton/Bill Russo edge in the brass, and there's some cool wide (microtonal) vibrato that Barry does with the violins.