Confirmation that DRACULA is coming from Varese??

thx99

Kilar isn't a true film composer ofcourse, so he cant be blamed not measuring up to JW.

What do you mean? He possibly scored more films than Williams...

Karol

Drained from color now!

...at John Badham's insistence.

Yes and thanks to the insistence of directors who want to alter their films decades after they've been released, we now have all these unfortunate desecrated versions of classic films.

Kilar isn't a true film composer ofcourse, so he cant be blamed not measuring up to JW.

What do you mean? He possibly scored more films than Williams...

Karol

Don't mind Stefan. He's only baiting.

As for Badham's DRACULA, it's not a bad film at all -- despite the somewhat dated lovemaking scene with those kaleidoscopic effects -- but it's not even in the same league as Coppola's masterpiece from 1992 (my favourite Dracula adaption).

The kaleidoscope effects are kinda cool. It's the ending when Langella is hanging from a hook making weird noises and then a kite flies away where everything falls apart. Eh, whatever. I still enjoy the movie.

I'm actually working on a Dracula analysis and I rewatched the film last week. It won't enters the annals of film history, but it's definitely better than it's usually credited for. I think what really gives it the upper notch is Williams' music. Most of the lush gothic flavour is carried by the score, which takes center stage in several sequences.

I love Bernard's Dracula. The theme calls the name Drac-u-laaaa! Great fun, surprisingly eerie. And unfortunately, the original tapes, like Williams' seem to be lost.

You also have to hand it to Bernard for returning to do multiple sequels. (Prince of Darkness, Dracula has Risen from the Grave, Taste the Blood of Dracula, and Scars of Dracula). Bernard is arguably the composer who, through sheer prolificity, did the most to define the "sound" for cinematic Dracula.

I was lucky enough to see James Bernard in the audience at the first film music concert I ever attended. The Philharmonia Orchestra played his music from Taste the Blood of Dracula (which has a beautiful, very pastoral love theme) and he was acknowledged afterwards.

A guilty pleasure, if we are talking Hammer Dracula music, is Mike Vickers's Dracula A.D. 1972.

I love Bernard's Dracula. The theme calls the name Drac-u-laaaa! Great fun, surprisingly eerie. And unfortunately, the original tapes, like Williams' seem to be lost.

You also have to hand it to Bernard for returning to do multiple sequels. (Prince of Darkness, Dracula has Risen from the Grave, Taste the Blood of Dracula, and Scars of Dracula). Bernard is arguably the composer who, through sheer prolificity, did the most to define the "sound" for cinematic Dracula.

I was lucky enough to see James Bernard in the audience at the first film music concert I ever attended. The Philharmonia Orchestra played his music from Taste the Blood of Dracula (which has a beautiful, very pastoral love theme) and he was acknowledged afterwards.

A guilty pleasure, if we are talking Hammer Dracula music, is Mike Vickers's Dracula A.D. 1972.

Well done, Omen, for pointing this out. I love "Dracula A.D.1972"!

What do JWfaners think is the most faithful adaptation of "Dracula"?

I haven't seen many, but Bram Stoker's Dracula is mostly very close to the book.

Yes. It's a superb film, and by FAR the best adaptation of the myth and the book.

I haven't seen many, but Bram Stoker's Dracula is mostly very close to the book.

Yes. It's a superb film, and by FAR the best adaptation of the myth and the book.

Myth?

OK, 'mythology' then.

It's too Grand Guignol for my taste, green mists , sunglasses and all. If the Langella version just would come without that egregious hairdo.

The do goes well with the outrageous cape.

It's too Grand Guignol for my taste, green mists , sunglasses and all. If the Langella version just would come without that egregious hairdo.

Still, it is the only one that sort of feels like the novel.

The film is incoherent and slightly kitschy but has its charm. I like the "naive" special. And Oldman really nails the part.

Karol

I found the novel really something else...the Coppola being a flamboyant translation that never aspires to the moodiness of, say, NOSFERATU (both version) which is the only version i think does the novel justice.

Well, to be honest, no film has ever done justice to Dracula character. Because... Dracula is a great absent in the original. Someone people talk about but he never really appears as such (unless you count Harker's journal). Not much of a character, really.

Karol

Each version of Dracula is flawed not one of them comes close to the original novel since many of them change characters and story.

Nosferatu takes place in Wismar instead of London. Of course all the names are changed Count Orlok,Hutter,Ellen,Doctor Bulwer and Knock. Most of the Acts I-III follow the book then once Orlok gets to Wismar it's all about the plague and he eventually dies by the rising of the sun.

Dracula 1931 They change Renfield goes to Castle Dracula instead of Jonathan Harker. They keep the names of the characters from the book but the plot follows the stage play.

Dracula 1958 This one goes further and switches characters and the plot doesn't even follow the book. Jonathan Harker goes to Castle Dracula to destroy the count but the count thinks he's their to take care of his library. The three vampire brides are cut down to one. Castle Dracula is in Klausenberg instead of Transylvania and London is now Karlstadt. Switching characters even more then the 31 version Arthur Holmwood is not a suitor to Lucy but her brother and Mina is married to him. Again the rest of the plot doesn't follow anything from the book.

Count Dracula 1970 The first version to use the description in the book of how Dracula looks and the process of growing younger. It does try to follow the book better than previous versions.

Dracula 1974 This time adding the lost love plot line that Coppola later used in his version. Dan Curtis put his own twist on it.

Count Dracula 1977 BBC This one follows the book pretty close but still omits characters from the story. Arthur is missing but this time Quincey appears in this film.

Dracula 1979 used the stage play like the 31 version. This time Lucy is Dr. Seward's daughter and Mina is the daughter of Van Helsing.

Bram Stoker's Dracula 1992 this is the first time that we get characters like Quincey and Arthur. No switching in this version except it adds a love story of a lost love. Even though it has it's flaws it tries to follow the book.

Unfortunately, Bram Stoker's Dracula is gaudy, lacking in sexiness aside from some all too brief beastiality and a horribly out of place Winona Ryder, stars an utterly awful and even more miscast Keanu Reeves and doesn't even seem to be made by Coppola.

I forgot about Keanu Reeves looking like a rabbit cornered by a giant snake.

He looks more like an expressionless undead than Dracula himself, and not just in this movie.

I found the novel really something else...the Coppola being a flamboyant translation that never aspires to the moodiness of, say, NOSFERATU (both version) which is the only version i think does the novel justice.

NOSFERATU is good, but it's more a representative of German expressionism than the source material as such.

No adaptation has been closer to the book than Coppola's, IMO, and it's so drenched in beautiful stylistic traits it's impossible to dislike for me -- the seething romance seeping out of every corner of the frame (sure, Keanu Reeves can't act his way out of a paper bag, but he's completely swallowed by Oldman's performance anyway, as well as the heavy audiovisual stamp of the film). Most other adaptations have been rather hokey and/or dated, including the Badham version.

Things like the constant barrage of wolf howls when the carriage arrives at Dracula's castle seems much more hokey to me than some studiobound Hammer set that at least gets the atmosphere right. The Badham has its faults but also has great photography and some insular moments of inspired beauty. But i have learned to smile a benign smile to our polar-opposing opinions on everything;)

Things like the constant barrage of wolf howls when the carriage arrives at Dracula's castle seems much more hokey to me than some studiobound Hammer set that at least gets the atmosphere right. The Badham has its faults but also has great photography and some insular moments of inspired beauty. But i have learned to smile a benign smile to our polar-opposing opinions on everything;)

Indeed. We are rather opposite on most things, so this is another instance where we have to agree to disagree. :)