Confirmation that DRACULA is coming from Varese??

thx99

Well if the tapes have truly been found it would be a brilliant piece of news! :)

Fuck you. I have given more than my share of positive reviews and approvals.

Don't get me wrong, I know that! But I've never seen you being really excited about something (with emoticons, talking about giving 100€ and all!). That's all.

I'm guessing since a new recording won't be done, the tapes are in decent enough shape. I wonder where they were discovered??

Was the post removed in the link? I couldn't find the quote...

This is actually a case of a Williams album from his golden age that could have been done better. The complete score has more to offer than just the main theme over and over again.

I'm guessing since a new recording won't be done, the tapes are in decent enough shape. I wonder where they were discovered??

No, it's still there on page 4 about halfway down if you're logged into the message board. Or halfway down page 9 if you're NOT logged into the message board.

No, it's still there on page 4 about halfway down if you're logged into the message board. Or halfway down page 9 if you're NOT logged into the message board.

Ah, I wasn't signed in. Thanks!

Fitzpatrick obviously didnt get his info from some internet forum.

It makes perfect sense for him to cancel a recording is the tapes have been found and a release might be impending. No way a re-recording would sell as well as a complete or expanded re;lease of the original tracks.

It makes perfect sense for him to cancel a recording is the tapes have been found and a release might be impending. No way a re-recording would sell as well as a complete or expanded re;lease of the original tracks.

Except that he didn't cancel his recording of Obsession with the alleged release of the original tracks coming from Music Box Records...

Of course it would, provided it's out there long enough before the OST is released, CONAN being a prime example.

True. But the Conan rerecording came out in a time when the masters of the original recording were deemed lost by many. So there was never any possibility of competition. For the Conan The Destroyer re-recording there was already news that a complete score release would also be forthcoming. And I recall many people saying that they would rather spend their money on that. (though that release never happened for some reason)

It's perfectly understandable that if Tadlow got word that there might be an impending Dracula release they would make the decision to not go forward with a rerecording.

It makes good business sense, but also possible artistic sense. They can focus their attention on another project.

If they would just have gone ahead a year before....i am completely selfish here, of course. Now let's see if Varése indeed delivers. It's the last missing Williams complete score* from his golden years.

*meaning in dire need, i am completely satisfied with Jaws 2 and others from this period as they are

If they would just have gone ahead a year before....i am completely selfish here, of course. Now let's see if Varése indeed delivers. It's the last missing Williams complete score* from his golden years.

*meaning in dire need, i am completely satisfied with Jaws 2 and others from this period as they are

Personally, I'm also pleased with DRACULA the way it is (no surprise). However, it's getting hard to find these days, and a reissue would be nice for new fans. Also, one could use the opportunity to clean up the sound a bit. I'm guessing that a straight reissue is not what Varese has planned, though. If there is indeed any truth to this, it will be a C&C release, maybe with the album program on a second disc.

it one of the worst sound OST's

Not THAT bad. The sound is pretty OK for a late 70s recording. But I'm sure it would benefit from a remastering too.

You obviously never listen on headphones. The strings sound fucked up. As the whole score runs under 60 minutes and features some yet-unreleased thematic strains it will actually be more balanced than Williams' old album that overuses the main theme.

This is very exciting! It's one of the few Williams OSTs I don't own at all, because by the time I was into collecting every single score JW ever wrote, it was long OOP and fetching way too much on the secondary market.

I welcome a new release, expanded or not!

I have a vinyl rip of the OST that sounds way better than the official CD. I dunno what happened when they made that CD....

I downloaded a vinyl rip once but couldn't make out any difference to the CD - maybe it was a tiny bit more spacious. The old japanese MCA compilation also had the tinny sound on the strings.

My Holy Grail. #1 on my list.

I was shuffling my songs today, and after hearing a bunch of other cues from different scores, To Scarborough came on, and I was shocked at how bad the sound quality was, especially sandwiched between better sounding recordings.

it one of the worst sound OST's

Not THAT bad. The sound is pretty OK for a late 70s recording. But I'm sure it would benefit from a remastering too.

The CD is really bad.

The LP sounds better so they really did something wrong. For that reason alone a rerelease is warrented.

Dracula is very high on my list of JW holy grails. Publicist said there is a good amount of unreleased and unheard development of thematic material left of the OST album in favour of the main theme. A combo of complete score plus OST with improved sound would be optimal.

A publicist or THE Publicist?

Without an article of course. He is just Publicist. My mistake. I would never assume him to be a mere generic publicist.