Confirmation that DRACULA is coming from Varese??

thx99

The Dracula OST is a damn fine album containing all the major highlights of the score and it flows very well. The only quibble is that it's almost too short and it leaves you wanting more. That being said, we're talking about late 1970s Williams performed by the LSO, hence it deserves an expanded treatment no matter what--there isn't anything like "filler music" in it. As other have mentioned, there are at least a couple of major cues that were left off (the traveling music to Carfax abbey and the cue featuring the tortuous 8-note motif when Seward and Van Helsing find Mina's coffin).

The cheapest CD of Draculaon ebay is $53.

My vast JW private collection ... every day it's getting more worthless.

You can always ship it to me if it is that worthless to you. ;)

Um, in America, trash pickup is often a fee paid to the sewage and water authority or some other local government agency. So we already pay the garbageman to take everything *off* our hands.

Fitzpatrick just reaffirmed on Facebook that the Dracula original recording will come out soon:

I have it on good authority that the complete original recording of Dracula will be coming out this year...would love to record with the LSO but would need a much bigger budget!!!
I've mentioned it quite a few times before whenever the subject comes up. I had plans to record Dracula last year but was put off this idea when I was told all the tapes had been found

https://www.facebook.com/tadlowmusic/posts/725612380867988

:cheer:

Fitzpatrick has said it would be Varese. This Wiliams LLL was supposed to happen in Fall 2014, but got pushed back to this year. If the tapes were recently found, I doubt the LLL is Dracula. I'd rather it be LLL than Varese, though.

Wow! I am extaticly happy that the tapes have been found! What great news!

BTW Varese still has rights to all those MCA albums, so only they can do Dracula, Jaws 2, Earthquake, and Eiger Sanction.

This is absolutely brilliant news and thanks to Fitzpatrick for confirming it. I can't wait to hear Johnny's darkly romantic masterpiece in full. Here's to hoping the tapes were in a good shape! :)

Since this was possible, I would be thrilled too if the tapes for Story of a Woman were found too (I'm sure Thor would too), but I bet noone is looking for them, and noone ever will..

Is there any other Williams score for which it is known that the tapes have been lost?

Since this was possible, I would be thrilled too if the tapes for Story of a Woman were found too (I'm sure Thor would too), but I bet noone is looking for them, and noone ever will..

Is there any other Williams score for which it is known that the tapes have been lost?

Lukas Kendall wanted to release Daddy's Gone A-Hunting on FSM several years ago, but it appears the tapes were destroyed.

Story of a Woman is a niche title, but it's still Williams so if the tapes will be found I'm sure one of the labels will release it. I know for a fact that Matessino at least tried to locate the original tapes.

Lukas Kendall wanted to release Daddy's Gone A-Hunting on FSM several years ago, but it appears the tapes were destroyed.

Story of a Woman is a niche title, but it's still Williams so if the tapes will be found I'm sure one of the labels will release it. I know for a fact that Matessino at least tried to locate the original tapes.

Oh, thanks for the info! :)

Funny you should say that. I tried to say that very same thing about STORY in the FSM thread linked to above (or rather, a suggestion that James rerecord it based on the same Kickstarter model), but then all hell broke loose, as if I had murdered people's families. Who was I to suggest a different title than the one already chosen?

I would not make sense to suggest the most obscure JW score of all times as a test case for Kickstarter funded soundtrack releases though.

Almost no one knows this score, so don't what they are missing and what they would be paying for.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, Stefan. I think a rerecording of STORY makes financial as well as artistic and historical sense. It's a win-win-win!

Do you think people would pay 25000 for a rerecording?

Moonraker has a far greater audience appeal and we don't know yet if it will reach that number.

Moonraker is an effective test case because it's been a holy grail for many years. It's part of a successful franchise so it has a cross over appeal.

Thor, on 15 Jan 2015 - 1:32 PM, said:Thor, on 15 Jan 2015 - 1:32 PM, said:
filmmusic, on 15 Jan 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:filmmusic, on 15 Jan 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:
Jay, on 15 Jan 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:Jay, on 15 Jan 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

Funny you should say that. I tried to say that very same thing about STORY in the FSM thread linked to above (or rather, a suggestion that James rerecord it based on the same Kickstarter model), but then all hell broke loose, as if I had murdered people's families. Who was I to suggest a different title than the one already chosen?

Thor, when I saw your post at FSM, it was exactly what I thought earlier in the same words when I saw that thread!

I could have written it as you put it exactly!

But I didn't, because I knew it would have the outcome it had eventually.

I had personally contacted James Fitzpatrick too in Facebook about Story of a Woman, but never got a reply. (i don't know if you did get a reply).

Stefancos, on 15 Jan 2015 - 1:54 PM, said:

Yeah I'm sure James is delighted by comments of fans telling him what he should have done instead.

Mr. Fitzgerald has been in the recording bizz for over 2 decades now.

When I contacted him at Facebook, I didn't know about the kickstarter. It was some months ago.

It was more like a kind suggestion, to listen to the music cue I had posted in youtube and see if it was something that he would be interested in, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

It must be noted that Fitzpatrick's re-recordings (i.e. the one released on his own Tadlow label, not the ones co-funded and released by Prometheus) are financed out of his own pocket and they are more or less pet projects--it means scores and composers that he's particularly fond of (like Jarre and Rozsa).

It must be noted that Fitzpatrick's re-recordings (i.e. the one released on his own Tadlow label, not the ones co-funded and released by Prometheus) are financed out of his own pocket and they are more or less pet projects--it means scores and composers that he's particularly fond of (like Jarre and Rozsa).

Not always, as he himself said in that FSM thread. Sometimes, he'll do a more "work for hire"-type project.

Everyone time a few rerecording is announced its followed by kind suggestions from people what Tadlow etc should record next or should have recorded instead.

They can't respond to every request obviously

As I've said, I asked him months before the Kickstarter project started.

And if I would post at the Kickstarter thread at FSM, it would be more like a question than a suggestion (hehe, Selina Kyle).

I mean, I was wondering why a re-recording of Moonraker for which we have an ost, is more interesting than a re-recording of an obscure Williams score for which we have nothing.

I got my reply from the thread, when it was said that it was what the fans asked.

But again, that created new questions to me:

How did we come to this conclusion that this is what the fans asked?

Was there any poll with some potential re-recordings as options, and Moonraker won among other scores?

Or it was just suggestions in the air here and there by some fans?

And who counted them, to see if we eg. had 50 suggestions for Moonraker and less suggestions for another score from dozens that could have been recorded..

Sorry for the off-topic.This discussion should be at the Kickstarter thread.

He chose Moonraker because the original recording session tapes are lost to time, the sheet music survives, and it's a popular score among fans

Jason is right. Moonraker has an OST. But the sound quality was never all that good (it feels strangely mono in places).

There is a reasonably amount of good music missing, the teaser cue for example. And every single statement of the James Bond theme.

So there have been calls for an expanded edition for a long time now. A lot of people were disappointed that Moonraker wasn't among the expanded Bond scores released in 2003.

There was never any kind of poll organized, but it's pretty common knowledge that a complete score released or re-recording is much desired.

It's also a score that belongs to a very popular franchise, which increases the chance of donations from people who aren't strictly film score fans.

Exactly

You start with the score that appeals to fans outside of the tiny film score world, and if it's a success, you try again with a little more obscure score for your next Kickstarter, and maybe you can eventually get to Story of a Woman

Also, do we have any idea about the availability of the sheet music? Because if that's an issue then it's pretty much a huge set back. Fitzpatrick has done releases where the score were partially transcribed by ear. But it';s a long and possibly expensive process.

Sorry, I was referring to the Story Of A Woman sheet music.

Apparently if you pledge 2000 you can get any John Barry cue you like recorded. That would mean Tadlow must be pretty sure they have access to all of Barry's sheet music.