An orchestra for $99!

filmmusic

This might interest some composers here:

http://www.99dollarorchestra.com/#meltdown-tour

You can listen to some audio samples too in their site.

7 minutes. 30 musicians. 1 Studio.

Have our orchestra play anything you want. This is for Students, Teachers, Composers, Filmmakers, Songwriters, Music Lovers, Kids! Send us anything you want, we're here to educate, to record and to give everyone an awesome experience.

Although I haven't understood, if the 7 minutes include the first reading of a score and recording it!

Because that would be so little time!

As much as I would love to jump on this opportunity, I must know the distribution of their musicians within the ensemble.

# of woodwinds? Brass? Percussion? Strings?

Also, if there are instruments that they can't play (e.g. Celeste, Contrabassoon, Choir).

That is interesting. I was never musically inclined, but I am mightily interested in seeing how this plays out. There's some tunes playing around in my head... would be great to 'hear' it orchestrated and performed by live players.

We could hire them to record all the unreleased Star Wars, Indy and Harry Potter music.

Ha!

Had never thought of this.

Although I'm not sure if they could record copyrighted material..

Their Kickstarter project starts in a month or so, wo I'm sure we will have more details then..

As much as I would love to jump on this opportunity, I must know the distribution of their musicians within the ensemble.

# of woodwinds? Brass? Percussion? Strings?

Also, if there are instruments that they can't play (e.g. Celeste, Contrabassoon, Choir).

My guess is that their setup will be like this:

8 violins, 4 viola, 2 cellos, 2 basses

2 oboes, 2 clarinets

2 trumpets, 2 trombones, 1 French horn

3 timpani, glockenspiel and assorted percussion

They'll probably have flexibility to reduce or swap out instruments to suit the musicians' needs. But I think choir will likely cost extra.

What? No flutes or piccolos?

But like you said, they could easily swap out.

btw, where did you get this information?

I was trying to find the usual number of players allocated for a 30-piece orchestra, and I came upon a forum where one guy was asking questions about miking a recording session. That's where I got the number, and it's possible I could be way off on the number of players for each section.

You're right. The arrangement's probably closer to this:

Flute, piccolo, clarinet, bassoon
2 trumpets, 2 trombones, 1 French horn, 1 tuba
Harp, piano, drum/percussion

I have many questions too, that I hope they will be soon answered.

eg. the number of instruments is fixed: 30

Is the kind of instruments fixed too?

I mean if I want to record a strings piece, would there be 30 strings?

The site clarified a crucial aspect of the $99 orchestra.

- The seven minutes means the whole recording session time.

- Recommended piece lengths for recording would range from 30 seconds to 90 seconds.

- Recommended piece lengths for recording would range from 30 seconds to 90 seconds.

yes, it is indeed disappointing.

On the other hand, with $297 you can get a 90'' to 4,5 minutes piece recorded. :)

That blurb has been on the site since the article was posted.

• 2 weeks later...

The site sent me an e-mail with a link to a poll about the preferred instrumentation for the $99 Orchestra. Also says their Kickstarter will include pledges for longer sections -- 14 minutes, 21 minutes, 28 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hour and 1 day sessions.

• Fl (picc), Ob, Cl in Bb, 3 trumpets, 4 horns, 2 trombones, 1 Bass Trombone, 17 Strings
  • Fl (picc), 2 trumpets, 4 horns, 2 trombones, 1 brass trombone, 20 strings
  • 3 trumpets, 6 horns, 2 trombones, 1 bass trombone, 18 Strings
  • 8 horns, 4 trombones, 1 brass trombone, 17 strings
  • 1 Fl (picc), 2 trumpets, 2 horns, 25 Strings

Also includes an 'other' option where you can list your preferred instruments. Also has a 'would you trade an orchestra instrument for a grand piano' question as well as a text box to include popular requests ('is there any cool feature that you would like us to have?').

You have to be subscribed via e-mail to get the poll.

In the 'other' choice, I typed:

4 Flutes (all 4 = Piccolos and Altos), 4 Oboes (all 4 = English Horns), 4 Cls in Bb (1=Eb Piccoclo Clarinet; 1,2 = Bb Bass Clarinets; 3,4 = Bb Contrabass Clarinets), 4 Bassoon (all 4 = Contrabassoons), 6 Horns (all 6 = Tuben), 4 Trumpets in Bb (all 4 = Trumpets in C), 4 Trombones, 1 Bass Trombone, 2 Tubas, 7 Percussion, 2 Timpani, 2 Harps, 2 Pianos (1= Celesta), 54 Strings (26 Vln (14,12),10 Vla,10 Cel, 8 Bs)

In the 'other' choice, I typed:

4 Flutes (all 4 = Piccolos and Altos), 4 Oboes (all 4 = English Horns), 4 Cls in Bb (1=Eb Piccoclo Clarinet; 1,2 = Bb Bass Clarinets; 3,4 = Bb Contrabass Clarinets), 4 Bassoon (all 4 = Contrabassoons), 6 Horns (all 6 = Tuben), 4 Trumpets in Bb (all 4 = Trumpets in C), 4 Trombones, 1 Bass Trombone, 2 Tubas, 7 Percussion, 2 Timpani, 2 Harps, 2 Pianos (1= Celesta), 54 Strings (26 Vln (14,12),10 Vla,10 Cel, 8 Bs)

The max you can have is 30 instruments!

That's why all the combinations make up 30! ;)

So if this happens, could it really indeed be used to have performances of unreleased JW music? Or would they not be allowed to do that?

4 - You can use the recording for all non-commercial purposes, including portfolio usage, self-promotion, educational purposes and work for charity.

So if this happens, could it really indeed be used to have performances of unreleased JW music? Or would they not be allowed to do that?

4 - You can use the recording for all non-commercial purposes, including portfolio usage, self-promotion, educational purposes and work for charity.

This has nothing to do with recording copyrighted material.

• 2 weeks later...

I helped support it. I pledged $99 for a fully orchestrated score, and will pledge another $99 for recording of said score.

At the rate they've been going, I think they'll meet their $40K goal before March 13.

If you've not worked with an orchestral recording session before, do keep in mind you are not getting an edited NOR mixed audio. They say you will recieve the "unmixed audio files of your recording" so buyer beware, you are getting what you paid for AND they are demonstrating a better product than what they are offering. Simply put - you are NOT getting the quality they are demonstrating for $99 and they aren't going out of their way to explain this to novice composers. The demo they are showing is both edited and mixed which is a little bit of a bait and switch. It will cost you more to hire those resources to get a final audio that is comparable to their demonstration so keep that in mind.

I don't think it's really a bait-and-switch. It's laid out in the FAQs and reward tiers.

You are probably right but people should not expect to get the quality of their audio demo without extra expenses and that is not explained. Since they are targeting novices they should have said it otherwise most will be disappointed in the results and that was my point. An orchestra for $99 costs much more than that.

You're right. The arrangement's probably closer to this:

Flute, piccolo, clarinet, bassoon

2 trumpets, 2 trombones, 1 French horn, 1 tuba

Harp, piano, drum/percussion

Uh, that sounds like more than the 15 musicians that they are advertising on their website....

I don't think it's really a bait-and-switch. It's laid out in the FAQs and reward tiers.

You are probably right but people should not expect to get the quality of their audio demo without extra expenses and that is not explained. Since they are targeting novices they should have said it otherwise most will be disappointed in the results and that was my point. An orchestra for $99 costs much more than that.

• 1 month later...

The site is now accepting audio files for score transcription up through May 20th. They must be in mp3 format and you must include your name in the e-mail.