John Williams Conducts the Philadelphia Orchestra - May 4 2016

Joe Brausam

3 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

The situation kinda sounds equivalent to if Williams was Luke at the end of TFA, and, instead of a lightsaber, Daisy is handing him his baton, and he is unsure whether to take it and reprise his Star Wars scoring duties or to leave it and never return to that world.

giphy.gif

GOAT post.

Just need the reverse shot of Rey with a baton instead of a lightsaber adjoining it. Quick, someone call ILM! 

Johnny is the only reason I'm interested in VIII after disliking VII. If he doesn't return - health (God help us), disinterest, feeling he has nothing new to say, whatever the case may be - neither will I.

i do think that quote from the concert was said with a bit of a wink, but I can't help but feel there was a sigh in three too?

Disney definitely want Williams. Every one involved in Ep.8 will want Williams. He holds the power completely. No one on the film has the power or nerve to say "We made the decision to go a different way with the music, but John Williams will always remain a part of the Star Wars family." They'd be crucified. Williams is too powerful. He cannot be turned down. Whether he returns or not, the decision is completely in his hands. 

I don't think there's much to read between the lines of this quote. It's exactly how we already knew, i.e. it's entirely up to JW if he wants to do it or not. The quote is actually brilliant because I guess that's how he really feels about it. But imho it's not much about protecting his own work. On one side, he's aware about the weight of such a commitment, but on the other side leaving the baton to someone else would feel as an official statement he's on the twilight path of his career, something he still doesn't seem keen to accept. He probably feels much younger at heart than his age.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2016 at 2:15 AM, Cerebral Cortex said:

The situation kinda sounds equivalent to if Williams was Luke at the end of TFA, and, instead of a lightsaber, Daisy is handing him his baton, and he is unsure whether to take it and reprise his Star Wars scoring duties or to leave it and never return to that world.

giphy.gif

Aw man, now someone's gotta cut in Rey holding a baton too. We could make this happen with that gif alone.

Can you snail mail a gif to a composer in his 80s?

• 2 months later...