Jump to content
Joe Brausam

John Williams Conducts the Philadelphia Orchestra - May 4 2016

Recommended Posts

The Philadelphia Orchestra announced their 2015-2016 season today and announced that John Williams will be conducting the orchestra for a benefit concert on May 4th 2016.

Totally getting myself backstage for this, hahaha. Awesome!

https://www.philorch.org/concert/john-williams?date=2016-05-04_20-00#/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Philadelphia Orchestra announced their 2015-2016 season today and announced that John Williams will be conducting the orchestra for a benefit concert on May 4th 2016.

Totally getting myself backstage for this, hahaha. Awesome!

https://www.philorch.org/concert/john-williams?date=2016-05-04_20-00#/

And this:

Principal Guest Conductor Stéphane Denève Presents a Two-Week Tribute to John Williams with Subscription Concerts featuring Yo-Yo Ma and a Special Benefit Concert with the Legendary Composer Himself on the Podium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that's pretty advance planning

I'm so glad you said this because since it was announced I assumed it was for 2015 and kept wondering why ticket information hasn't been released yet. Well that explains it, haha. Yeah this is really far in advance. Plenty of time to clear my not busy calendar!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The great thing about Philly is that for us on the Northeast, it represents the first opportunity to see John Williams' face while he conducts from behind the orchestra if you get seats in the Terrace/Choir section in Verizon Hall. Boston, Tanglewood or Lincoln Centre don't have such seating arrangements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what date single tickets will become available? I just booked a return flight for the very next morning for very few points and only $5.60 in taxes just to be safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is only 40 minutes away from my house so I am incredibly excited about this, especially now that you guys said that I can sit facing Williams!

If single tickets go on sale end of August when do you think non-single tickets will go on sale?

Fingers crossed that his back is better by then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is only 40 minutes away from my house so I am incredibly excited about this, especially now that you guys said that I can sit facing Williams!

If single tickets go on sale end of August when do you think non-single tickets will go on sale?

Fingers crossed that his back is better by then!

If you buy a subscription (usually around 6 concerts for the regular Philadelphia Orchestra season), you can immediately access the presale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The orchestra will be live streaming their annual "Free Neighborhood Concert" tomorrow night at 6pm.

Stéphane Denève will be conducting - he's been conducting a lot of Williams lately, actually. The concert will open with "Sound the Bells". It looks like a real fun program!

philorch.org/livestream

Williams - Sound the Bells

Higdon - blue cathedral (with LiveNote)

Bernstein - Overture to Candide

Berlioz - "Dream of a Witches' Sabbath," from Symphonie fantastique

Ravel - La Valse (with LiveNote)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes, that's a bit steep for me I think, especially if there's a chance he'll cancel. On the other hand, I've only seen Williams in concert once and it'd be great to see him again.

Philadelphia is about a 5 hour drive for me, so I won't have much of a travel cost besides hotel (or I can be cheap and just drive back home that night). Hmm, I'll definitely have to think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't given up seeing John Williams live one last time, but I'm going to wait untill he's back on his feet again (time for you to chime in again, Stefan, with a "that's never going to happen. He will die tomorrow"-type post).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of a change.

 

Program update and artist change: John Williams May 4, 2016

 
white-spacer.jpg

Five-time Academy Award and 22-time Grammy Award-winning composer John Williams and Philadelphia Orchestra Principal Guest Conductor Stéphane Denève will now share the podium in this special one-night-only concert.

John Williams will conduct the concluding highlights of the concert featuring selections from Star Wars and Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. Due to his recent composing schedule, he has entrusted the remainder of the repertoire to his good friend Stéphane Denève.

We are excited to announce that the concert, which includes selections from movies such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and E.T.: the Extra-Terrestrial, also features exclusive video interviews with the composer about his work, a selection of film clips presented with some of Williams's iconic movie themes, and a unique demonstration on the art of film scoring.

 

John Willams
Wednesday, May 4 8:00 PM
Verizon Hall at The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts

The Philadelphia Orchestra
Stéphane Denève Conductor
Hai-Ye Ni Cello

Sound the Bells!
Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind
"Sayuri's Theme" and "Brush on Silk," from Memoirs of a Geisha
"Harry's Wondrous World," from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
"Night Journeys," from Dracula
"Adventures on Earth," from E.T.: the Extra-Terrestrial
"The Raiders March," from Raiders of the Lost Ark
Excerpt from The Book Thief
"The Barrel Chase Sequence," from Jaws

The Philadelphia Orchestra
John Williams Conductor

"March of the Resistance" and "Rey's Theme," from Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
"Throne Room" and Finale, from Star Wars

Maestro Williams, Maestro Denève, and the musicians of The Philadelphia Orchestra are graciously donating their services for this concert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Bit of a change.

 

Program update and artist change: John Williams May 4, 2016

 
white-spacer.jpg

Five-time Academy Award and 22-time Grammy Award-winning composer John Williams and Philadelphia Orchestra Principal Guest Conductor Stéphane Denève will now share the podium in this special one-night-only concert.

John Williams will conduct the concluding highlights of the concert featuring selections from Star Wars and Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. Due to his recent composing schedule, he has entrusted the remainder of the repertoire to his good friend Stéphane Denève.

We are excited to announce that the concert, which includes selections from movies such as Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and E.T.: the Extra-Terrestrial, also features exclusive video interviews with the composer about his work, a selection of film clips presented with some of Williams's iconic movie themes, and a unique demonstration on the art of film scoring.

 

John Willams
Wednesday, May 4 8:00 PM
Verizon Hall at The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts

The Philadelphia Orchestra
Stéphane Denève Conductor
Hai-Ye Ni Cello

Sound the Bells!
Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind
"Sayuri's Theme" and "Brush on Silk," from Memoirs of a Geisha
"Harry's Wondrous World," from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
"Night Journeys," from Dracula
"Adventures on Earth," from E.T.: the Extra-Terrestrial
"The Raiders March," from Raiders of the Lost Ark
Excerpt from The Book Thief
"The Barrel Chase Sequence," from Jaws

The Philadelphia Orchestra
John Williams Conductor

"March of the Resistance" and "Rey's Theme," from Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
"Throne Room" and Finale, from Star Wars

Maestro Williams, Maestro Denève, and the musicians of The Philadelphia Orchestra are graciously donating their services for this concert.

Excellent lineup.  I am glad Dracula and the Book Thief are making appearances.  Not sure about the state reason for Williams' limited conducting.  Why not just say it is not physically good for him to stand and conduct for two hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, hornist said:

It is indeed wonderful! And with this brilliant orchestra...oh dear.

 

The Book Thief :lovethis:

Don't forget your favourite (and mine) Close Encounters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tom said:

Why not just say it is not physically good for him to stand and conduct for two hours. 

 

There is a taboo on old age and ill health in western society?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that too.

 

It doesn't sound very flattering if you say things like:

"We are sad to announce that the artist can't unfortunately conduct the entire programme this evening due to extreme old age, frailty of body and slowly creeping dotage, which renders him rather ineffective and powerless during most of his waking hours. Such dear people are the vagaries of the old age."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Incanus said:

I guess some sense of decorum and good manners still persists.

 

Not everything has to be a detailed expose on the person's life and current medical condition.

I understand the good manners part.  Perhaps I am looking for a more convincing white lie.  He is in the building, he rehearsed with the orchestra earlier in the day.  Nobody is going to buy the "needs extra time to compose" excuse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tom said:

I understand the good manners part.  Perhaps I am looking for a more convincing white lie.  He is in the building, he rehearsed with the orchestra earlier in the day.  Nobody is going to buy the "needs extra time to compose" excuse. 

 

It could be a variety of factors at play, you know. JW's schedule is always pretty busy. It could very well be that he will arrive in Philly just for the concert and don't have time to rehearse the full program in first person (as he likely prefers to do). In addition to that, I wouldn't be surprised if he still has a couple of sessions for The BFG (the film will premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May) between now and then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait for Dracula!

 

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

It could very well be that he will arrive in Philly just for the concert and don't have time to rehearse the full program in first person (as he likely prefers to do).

 

It's unlikely that he'll just show up and suddenly conduct three pieces without having met the players and had been in the rehearsal with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/3/2016 at 11:13 AM, nightscape94 said:

It's unlikely that he'll just show up and suddenly conduct three pieces without having met the players and had been in the rehearsal with them.

 

I agree, but I'm also sure that Williams is accostumed to work with those really good orchestras you have in the US in a rather short rehearsal schedule, pretty much as he does when recording a film score. He always knows very well what he wants and is able to comunicate it effectively. The pieces should be ready for performance in a single rehearsal, I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not related to the Williams concert, but rather one of the performances surrounding it that includes his Cello Concerto.  Not sure if this was posted to the site yet, but The Philly Orchestra posted this back in October on their Youtube page and I completely missed it.  It's a short rehearsal for "Tributes! For Seiji"

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...