Jilal

Reintroducing myself

Dearest fellow members,

As I have underwent quite a personal evolution since I first joined this forum (I was - quite remarkably - only twelve years old then), I feel it's necessary to reintroduce myself, in order to give you all a better idea of this fellow who goes by the name Alexander, here. I feel my earlier posts haven't been particularly worthwhile, and they may have led people to think I'm an infantile person, while I was really just a child, back then. I remember I managed to extract the background music of the TOR game when it was released, though, which, I think, was appreciated by most members here. It's crazy to think I was only about thirteen years old! :lol:

As you have probably already deduced from the fact that I joined the forum when I was about twelve years old, I am now sixteen and will turn seventeen in May. That means, of course, that I'm still attending high school. Here in Belgium, we have a system where you can choose your curriculum from a set amount of combinations of different subjects, depending on your interest and talents. I chose Latin-mathematics, which manages to present you scientific subjects along with linguistic ones in a fairly appealing way.

I'm interested in both science (though I prefer physics and mathematics over chemistry, biology, etc.) and linguistics (I'm very interested in relations between languages, etymology, etc.), but what I'm most interested in is the composition of music. At the moment, I'm trying to learn as much as about it as I can through the resources available to me, but overall I'm quite a lazy person, although unfortunately one who realizes the disadvantages of being one, so I'm not happy at all with the meager amount of knowledge I have right now. I have a whole list of books I should read on the subject, so I still have a long road to go.

As to what I'll be studying after high school: that used to be a dilemma for me. I have always been very interested in physics and astronomy, so that used to be one of my options. However, I've begun to realize that learning about, conducting and composing music really is what I dream of. I daresay I could live without professional education in physics and astronomy, but definitely not without music. Studying both subjects isn't really an option as I want to get a PhD in whatever I'll be studying, so my plan is to study composition at the conservatory in Ghent.

Considering film scores: I've always been a fervent film music listener. I started with Williams, and gradually broadened my perspective of the film score world, particularly exploring the earlier years (e.g. Herrmann, Rózsa, Korngold, Steiner, Waxman, etc.). Along with film music came classical music - my interest mainly goes to the classical and romantic eras, but I'm interested in earlier music (church music, the baroque period) and 20th century music as well (e.g. Stravinsky, Bartók (these two guys in particular ;)) Schulhoff, Schoenberg and Korngold, just to name a few).

As to what's my favorite Williams score, or my favorite film score in general, I couldn't tell. I love a lot of scores for various reasons, so I really wouldn't be able to select a favorite one. Among my personal favorites, though, are Korngold's Captain Blood, Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk and Williams's Jaws, his Star Wars scores, Close Encounters, 1941, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom and E.T.

I hope I've reintroduced myself in a fairly comprehensive way. Feel free to shoot any questions at me if you're interested.

- Alexander

Salut, Bespin, c'est très agréable de te rencontrer ;). Comment ça va, là au Canada? Pas trop de neige, j'espère?

C'est terrible maintenant. Hier et d'aujourd'hui nous ayons eu une grande tempête. Mais je viens de Toronto, pas Montreal, comme l'atteste par mes français médiocres.

Bienvenue mon ami! J'ai 19 ans, alors l'âge n'est pas une problème! J'aime vos aspirations!

Salut, Bespin, c'est très agréable de te rencontrer ;). Comment ça va, là au Canada? Pas trop de neige, j'espère?

C'est terrible maintenant. Hier et d'aujourd'hui nous ayons eu une grande tempête. Mais je viens de Toronto, pas Montreal, comme l'atteste par mes français médiocres.

Bienvenue mon ami! J'ai 19 ans, alors l'âge n'est pas une problème! J'aime vos aspirations!

Third-party-facepalm.jpg

Bonjour Alex, bienvenue à bord. (sorry, my French is poor)

So is mine, actually, as my cradle is the Flemish-speaking part of Belgium. You know, the part that whipped the other part's ass back in 1302.

You sound like a Mini-Me of TheGreyPilgrim.

Your statement is woefully invalid; nor am I as ugly as him, nor shall I ever become as ugly as him.

That does not bode well for him.

Consequentially, I can't agree more.

C'est terrible maintenant. Hier et d'aujourd'hui nous avons eu une grande tempête. Mais je viens de Toronto, pas Montreal, comme l'atteste par mes français médiocres.

Hi! Sunshine is still kind of meager here, but I suppose we're priviliged compared to you. I never even knew weather conditions could be as bad there as Google Images tells me, so good luck ;).

Only with girls!

I'm sure I'm handsome enough to somehow waken the concealed homosexual inside you. It's a good thing I'm not living near you!

Young....i feel...young!

Don't give in to it, it'll be worse afterwards, when you realise you're old again.

It's cold, -33 yesterday!

Oh dear, that sounds awful. Hope it'll get better there, soon. Take care!

Well hello again Alexander. :wave:

Terve!

Ooooh! Yes

Two belgians then.

Oh, you desperately need me. I guess it's too soon for you to start realizing that, though ... the time shall come.

I still haven't forgiven the little shit for leaking my War Horse links. Reintroduction my ass!

It was an act of compassion with those that desperately wanted it but couldn't get it. I do want to apologize for it, though, as I promised not to share it.

Don't worry, though, I've grown mature now. You can send me those links to the Tintin sessions already.

Are you the same Alexander that used to post in the Tolkien threads and stuff? My memory fails me!

Alexander The Greatful and Alexander The Ungreatful!

Question, is which is which?

One perpetually seeks greatness but fails by consequence, the other is more content with what life has to offer and probably just more likeable in general.

Third-party-facepalm.jpg

c41f23766af0c558fcef4e22772b0ef2ce68c0e7

Dearest fellow members,

As I have underwent quite a personal evolution since I first joined this forum (I was - quite remarkably - only twelve years old then), I feel it's necessary to reintroduce myself, in order to give you all a better idea of this fellow who goes by the name Alexander, here. I feel my earlier posts haven't been particularly worthwhile, and they may have led people to think I'm an infantile person, while I was really just a child, back then. I remember I managed to extract the background music of the TOR game when it was released, though, which, I think, was appreciated by most members here. It's crazy to think I was only about thirteen years old! :lol:

As you have probably already deduced from the fact that I joined the forum when I was about twelve years old, I am now sixteen and will turn seventeen in May. That means, of course, that I'm still attending high school. Here in Belgium, we have a system where you can choose your curriculum from a set amount of combinations of different subjects, depending on your interest and talents. I chose Latin-mathematics, which manages to present you scientific subjects along with linguistic ones in a fairly appealing way.

I'm interested in both science (though I prefer physics and mathematics over chemistry, biology, etc.) and linguistics (I'm very interested in relations between languages, etymology, etc.), but what I'm most interested in is the composition of music. At the moment, I'm trying to learn as much as about it as I can through the resources available to me, but overall I'm quite a lazy person, although unfortunately one who realizes the disadvantages of being one, so I'm not happy at all with the meager amount of knowledge I have right now. I have a whole list of books I should read on the subject, so I still have a long road to go.

As to what I'll be studying after high school: that used to be a dilemma for me. I have always been very interested in physics and astronomy, so that used to be one of my options. However, I've begun to realize that learning about, conducting and composing music really is what I dream of. I daresay I could live without professional education in physics and astronomy, but definitely not without music. Studying both subjects isn't really an option as I want to get a PhD in whatever I'll be studying, so my plan is to study composition at the conservatory in Ghent.

Considering film scores: I've always been a fervent film music listener. I started with Williams, and gradually broadened my perspective of the film score world, particularly exploring the earlier years (e.g. Herrmann, Rózsa, Korngold, Steiner, Waxman, etc.). Along with film music came classical music - my interest mainly goes to the classical and romantic eras, but I'm interested in earlier music (church music, the baroque period) and 20th century music as well (e.g. Stravinsky, Bartók (these two guys in particular ;)) Schulhoff, Schoenberg and Korngold, just to name a few).

As to what's my favorite Williams score, or my favorite film score in general, I couldn't tell. I love a lot of scores for various reasons, so I really wouldn't be able to select a favorite one. Among my personal favorites, though, are Korngold's Captain Blood, Robin Hood and The Sea Hawk and Williams's Jaws, his Star Wars scores, Close Encounters, 1941, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom and E.T.

I hope I've reintroduced myself in a fairly comprehensive way. Feel free to shoot any questions at me if you're interested.

- Alexander

Best (re)intro post EVAR.

Welcome back, Alexander. I noticed your absence. I had no idea you were only 12 back then (sorry for calling you a fucking retard).

I actually find it quite disturbing that a 12 year old was able to post here. Considering the mature nature of some of our topics.

Lack of parental supervision on the part of Alexanders folks, and maybe poor moderatorship from our usual suspects here.

Anyway, since you were little but a spoiled brat at the time, and in no way legally responsible for you actions. I'll forgive you for sharing my links.

Hopefully Alexander realises by now that's just my brand of humour.

I hope you used a lot of emoticons to make it clear.

I've actually never really been absent, nor did I imply that - I posted my reintroduction as a means of explaining the immature nature of my early posts, and giving a proper introduction of myself, which I never did. Consider it a sort of state of the union, but applied to me.