Jay

BETTER CALL SAUL - Beware Season 3 spoilers!

907 posts in this topic

I wonder how many of the framing and photographic ideas are down to Gilligan and how many are Arthur Albert's.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

But after talking to a coworker, his interpretation was that Jimmy was being SO obvious, Gus didn't take anything from the guy because he observed Jimmy observing the guy, and that seems more likely.

That was my exact interpretation as well. Gus would almost certainly have a 'tell' in those scenarios. Clearly there was a signal that he didn't make to his guy, perhaps asking him how his meal was? Once no signal was made, the guy knew something was up and left immediately.

When you think about it, the sweeping is actually a clever metaphor; Gus is doing a literal 'sweep' of the surroundings to ensure the coast is clear before proceeding with any transactions. In this instance, Jimmy was being way too obvious and Gus caught on.

Yup!  Quite clever indeed!

Of course, the whole thing is a bit on the silly side to begin with; Couldn't the guy with the backback just like, drop it off at Gus's house or something?  Or just drive around behind the store and leave it there somewhere?  Having the exchange take place in front of  store full of potential witnesses seems... un-Gus like.

We know that Gus is seriously prepared and also paranoid; there's a greater chance of cameras or surveillance outside the store monitoring any suspicious activities or 'transactions'. Less opportunity for that inside LPH other than people watching, hence the sweep.

I'd argue that doing a subtle exchange in a restaurant full of people busily eating/chatting would be far less noticeable than in a near-empty restaurant, or somewhere else with less people around.

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Hey, I count only six episodes on Netflix! Don't tell me they are splitting it in two parts!

All 3 seasons of Better Call Saul are 10 episodes long airing over 10 consecutive weeks.

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Hey, I count only six episodes on Netflix! Don't tell me they are splitting it in two parts!

No, it's ten episodes.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

We know that Gus is seriously prepared and also paranoid; there's a greater chance of cameras or surveillance outside the store monitoring any suspicious activities or 'transactions'. Less opportunity for that inside LPH other than people watching, hence the sweep.

I'd argue that doing such a thing in a restaurant full of people chatting amongst themselves would be far less noticeable than doing it in a near-empty restaurant, or somewhere else with fewer people around.

Yea, good point.  If you think about it, his strategy actually worked: Neither Mike nor Jimmy have any reason to suspect the OWNER if the restaurant is involved in any way, just that it was a random drop off spot.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

All 3 seasons of Better Call Saul are 10 episodes long airing over 10 consecutive weeks.

Well, Netflix doesn't go that far yet. They only show six episodes (of which 4 still have to be aired).

Who cares what Netflix says?  Two of us have already told you the actual situation.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea, good point.  If you think about it, his strategy actually worked: Neither Mike nor Jimmy have any reason to suspect the OWNER if the restaurant is involved in any way, just that it was a random drop off spot.

So much of what happens on Better Call Saul parallels what happened on Breaking Bad.  On BB, when Walter and Jesse were looking for a new distributor for the meth, Saul set them up to meet with a guy at Los Pollos Hermanos....they went and nothing happened, since Gus was watching them and saw that Jesse was an obvious junkie.  They also never considered Gus to be anything but a fast food manager.

Also, when Kim says to Jimmy, "Give me a dollar," and he says "I've only got a twenty!" that's almost exactly how Saul became Walter and Jesse's lawyer, when they took him out to the desert to scare him, but he realized who they were.

7 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

Also, when Kim says to Jimmy, "Give me a dollar," and he says "I've only got a twenty!" that's almost exactly how Saul became Walter and Jesse's lawyer, when they took him out to the desert to scare him, but he realized who they were.

Yup!  That was a detail I didn't remember at all, but a coworker pointed it out to me.

I think once BCS is over, I'll re-watch Breaking Bad.

crumbs likes this

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I think once BCS is over, I'll re-watch Breaking Bad.

I wonder which timeline BCS will finish in? The pre-Breaking Bad timeline or post-BB with 'Gene' at Cinnabon?

The former gives closure to the story of BCS, the latter provides closure to the entire Breaking Bad narrative (especially if any character from Jimmy's past shows up to discover him).

If the use of flashbacks in BB is any indication, I'd say the finale for BCS will be set in the post-BB storyline and could involve 'Gene' returning to face unfinished business with Chuck/Kim... assuming they aren't dead or something.

I think it will end right before BB begins. After all, BB had a kind of poetic ending (sure, some unresolved narrative lines, but they were not relevant to Walter's own timeline).

Well I suppose we'll get two endings, right? The main narrative (color scenes) will end either before Walter's 50th birthday (BB pilot), or we'll see the events of seasons 1-2ish of BB from Jimmy's point of view, who knows really. And the future narrative (black and white scenes) will continue on from where we are now (Jimmy passing out) into who knows where ; as mentioned it could include a resolution to Kim and / or Chuck storyline, or something else. Probably something that will tie into season 4 or 5 storylines. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Well I suppose we'll get two endings, right? The main narrative (color scenes) will end either before Walter's 50th birthday (BB pilot), or we'll see the events of seasons 1-2ish of BB from Jimmy's point of view, who knows really. And the future narrative (black and white scenes) will continue on from where we are now (Jimmy passing out) into who knows where ; as mentioned it could include a resolution to Kim and / or Chuck storyline, or something else. Probably something that will tie into season 4 or 5 storylines. 

I don't know if the show will take us all the way to BB....after all, BCS starts six years beforehand, and so far through 2+ seasons I don't really think that much time has passed.  A year tops?  BB was on for five seasons (six if you count the two parts of the extended season 5) and that entire series only spanned two years.  So unless there is a jump in time at some point, assuming BCS airs for a similar length of time I don't see them taking us through six years.  They will probably get us to the point where he is firmly entrenched in his new life as Saul Goodman (and Mike as Gus's top enforcer), and then the final scene will be a flash forward to the Cinnabon "present" time, at which point Jimmy/Saul/Gene's story will come to some kind of conclusion, good or bad...

Breaking Bad covers from Walter White's 50th birthday in 2008 to shortly after his 52nd birthday in 2010.

Better Call Saul begins in 2002, but its unclear how much time has passed from the first episode until now, and its also unclear how far beyond 2010 (When Jimmy goes into hiding) the Cinnabon Manager Gene scenes we've seen are taking place in.

EDIT: Holy poop, this wikia page says his birthday is September 7th, same as me!

Better Call Saul 3x03 Sunk Costs

Loved the cold open, even though I had no idea what it meant at the time - was it a reference to Breaking Bad?  Something from a prior BCS episode?  Or was I not supposed to understand it yet?  In retrospect, it was showing us the sneakers Mike shot the hole through, sometime later (years? months?) when Gus is bringing meth into the US instead of Hector.  Neat!

Loved the way Act 1 started with the pulsing music and the immediate return to the phone call Mike gets in the street.  The "confrontation" between Mike and Gus was so well done!  Two meticulous professionals discussing their business and morals, vague but clear threats from Gus.  Loved it!  Gus looks WAY older than he does in BB though, but there's really nothing you can do about it.  Then came Jimmy outside Chuck's house.  I was not expecting such a low key, passive Jimmy after the explosive way episode 2 ended!  He really calmed down quick!  It was actually pretty surprising he was willing to be arrested instead of running away.  I don't even think he has a big plan, he just wants to accept his fate here.  Interesting.  His warning to Chuck about how he will die, surrounding by electronic machines, was a nice little attack.

The montage of Kim getting ready that opened act 2 was incredible!  Another great montage in a show full of great montages.  Loved how she recognized Ernie's car as soon as she came outside.  Jimmy's scenes in the courthouse were great, I liked the other lawyer character he talked to (I think we've seen him before, right?).  When Kim showed up to defend him, my heart was tugged; She loves him despite everything, and is only going to get hurt.  I love how Mike has a drug buying contact in Mexico, because of course he does.

Jimmy with that lawyer again was a nice little scene, really liked the burger and how it played into their conversation.  Mike with the sneakers, I love the way this show is constantly introducing things that you have no idea what they are all about then it gets explained later in the episode.  So the case worker that visits Chuck, and we start to see his plan.  He's really revealing himself to be just as underhanded as Jimmy can be, the way he was talking about Jimmy and setting things up the way he wanted.

The desert sequence with Mike was another wonderful Mike sequence, with another great Dave Porter cue.  I loved his plan!  Gus's only thought was to basically just rob a truck again ; I love how Mike either on the fly came up with, or already had in the back of his mind, a plan to get Hector's guys arrested instead.  The shooting of the sneakers with meth in them to sprinkle over the back of the truck was so smart!  I didn't really understand why he was shooting in the air before that, though?  Was it just so they wouldn't stop the truck when they heard the shot that hit the sneakers?

The end of the episode where Kim and Jimmy discuss their options was great.  Jimmy realizes Chuck only wants him to be disbarred, and they discuss the best ways to fight it.  I LOVED the hand holding moment, it was perfectly executed.  Kim is willing to help Jimmy out, but at what cost?  Will something slip in the Mesa Verde case..... or will a piece of her soul be the price?  Off we go another week to ponder!

BTW, the final shot of the episode was incredible!

e1QWx8t.jpg

Does this show quietly have the best cinematography on TV?

Muad'Dib likes this

2 hours ago, Jay said:

love how Mike has a drug buying contact in Mexico, because of course he does.

That's the doctor who works for Gus; he's the same guy in BB who saves Gus and Mike after they kill Don Eladio and his men with the poisoned tequila.  Also; when that scene in the clinic started, the bell rang as the door opened and then there was the shot of an empty wheelchair; tell me that's not foreshadowing what eventually happens to Hector!

So many little things are starting to come together and tie in with BB, I love it!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The shooting of the sneakers with meth in them to sprinkle over the back of the truck was so smart!  I didn't really understand why he was shooting in the air before that, though?  Was it just so they wouldn't stop the truck when they heard the shot that hit the sneakers?

Precisely. Mike needed the smugglers to not react suspiciously at a single gunshot. But a few of them far away that were not aimed at them or tied to their specific actions would not raise alarm. Otherwise they might stop the truck and definitely see the drugs raining down. 

Sometimes I consider how alarming it is to hear gunshots in an urban or residential neighborhood. Some crime has been committed. Gunshot in the country? Probably someone shooting a groundhog. 

I'm sure there's a obvious explanation that I can't think of, but why is it not in Gus' interest to kill Hector?

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Does this show quietly have the best cinematography on TV?

It's certainly up there (like you, I also loved that Victor Fleming-like shot).

It's not on the level of UTOPIA (see below for a sample), which IMO is the alltime greatest when it comes to TV cinematography (with TWIN PEAKS on second), but among the shows running right now, it might very well be. No offense to GAME OF THRONES, HANNIBAL, TRUE DETECTIVE, PENNY DREADFUL, THE WALKING DEAD and all other 'lavishly' photographed series.

utopia-scenes.jpg