BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so two quick thoughts on the season premiere:

1.  The precredits flash-forward has to be one of the most tense sequences I’ve ever seen on this show!  Jimmy/Gene’s paranoia is so contagious, particularly since we, the audience, have absolutely no idea how that part of the story will play out.  The brief little teases at the start of each season are just as compelling (perhaps even more so) as the main body of the story.

2.  The scene with Mike driving around the Madrigal warehouse, barking orders like he owned the place, was one of the funniest sequences I’ve ever seen on this show!  So unlike what we’ve come to see from Mike; always careful, in the shadows, quiet.....the contrast was striking, and to me, rather hysterical.  

How good was that teaser? WOW! Can't believe we have to wait an entire year before we see the next part... looks like Jimmy's past has finally come back to haunt him.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

How good was that teaser? WOW! Can't believe we have to wait an entire year before we see the next part... looks like Jimmy's past has finally come back to haunt him.

I'm assuming all those b/w opening teasers have the storyline that binds SAUL with BAD.

Fine opening episode of season 4, btw, as expected!

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm assuming all those b/w opening teasers have the storyline that binds SAUL with BAD.

All the B/W teasers are set post-Breaking Bad in the timeline, once Jimmy has gone into hiding under his pseudonym 'Gene'. Everything else is pre-Breaking Bad.

On 8/7/2018 at 6:42 PM, Jay said:

Thor, I'm sorry but: How could you have POSSIBLY not known that?

I vaguely remember he was sent off to live in anonymity in BB, but I had no idea BCS picked up on that storyline. I don't see why I wouldn't assume these prologues could just as well be a binding storyline between the two shows.

Thor, in the very first scene of the very first episode of Better Call Saul, Saul leaves his Cinnabon job, goes home, and digs out old TV commercials hidden deep in a closet for his "Better Call Saul!" lawyer practice, the law firm he held throughout the entirety of Breaking Bad, and watches them in a reminiscing way with a scotch in hand.  Of course the black and white season openers are set post-Breaking Bad.  It's impossible to be anything else.

Yea, it's the whole reason he doesn't call for help when he gets stuck in the trash room in the season 2 opener, and why he's so paranoid about people watching him in the season 3 opener.  He's paranoid because he's in hiding after everything that happened in Breaking Bad

Quite a sparse and contemplative starter, but I'm sure going to miss the absolutely mighty and integral Michael McKean this season. He's left a big dramatic hole to fill, which is a pretty tall order. But we have Gilligan and Gould, so I'm not too concerned.

I've seen the whole BREAKING BAD series when it was on, yes. But I'm terrible at remembering plot details of anything. I mean absolutely, dreadfully terrible! What tends to stick -- especially when it's been a few years -- is various individual scenes, the general "feel" etc. I do remember how the series ended, at the very least! :)

But pretty cool that we're getting a glimpse of the post-BB Saul in these flashforward prologues. You learn something new every day! Also great to know if I decide to rewatch these shows at a later date. It also means that what 'binds' the two shows together remains a mystery, which is good.

Better Call Saul 4x01 Smoke

BCS is back!!!

I enjoyed this quite a bit - man did the 50 minutes just fly by!

The B&W opening was spectacular, they managed to create so much freaking TENSION out of pauses and glances and close-ups of eyes!  I genuinely didn't know if Saul was just making up that social security # or it was a fake that would pass muster that he had memorized, which was great.  And I love the ambiguity on if the taxi driver was there to kill him or completely coincidentally from Albuquerque.  So good!  For the first time, I suspect we might get a continuation of the flashforwards this season, rather that not again until the season 5 premiere....

For the bulk of the episode, I enjoyed how each of the 3 main storylines (Saul, Mike, and Nacho) had a completely different tone to them.  Saul's storyline was mostly somber.  Well, it started with that great montage of him doing his normal morning routine set to another GREAT David Porter montage music cue, then was mostly somber (until the very end of course).  Kind of fascinating they brought in both Ed Begley Jr AND Ann Cusack for basically extremely minor cameos.  I quite enjoyed seeing the weight of Chuck's death on everyone around him - Jimmy, Hamlin, Kim, etc.

Mike's bits were awesome!  Can someone remind me, BTW exactly WHAT Madrigal does, and how many people there are actually involved in Gus's drug operation?  Is it JUST Lydia that knows?  The whole montage sequence of Mike driving around and taking notes and chastising people was so great!

And then there's Nacho's storyline, which was interesting as well!  I had kind of forgotten where his storyline ended so I was glad they went back and showed the pill bottle pocketing again.  It's so in character for Gus to pick up on something and to hire his guy there (is that the guy that he eventually slits the throat of on BB?  I forget) to follow Nacho and catch him throwing the pills away. 

It was pretty fascinating how different the filming and audio was for each of these 3 storylines.  Jimmy's storyline had a lot of blue tones, and no score after the opening morning montage.  Mike's scenes were more yellow with more upbeat scoring.  Nacho's scenes were dim and had that really dissonant scoring, the Breaking-Bad style scoring.  Really, Nacho's storyline is the only parts to do with the drug world BB is known for, so the music follows suit.  And it's fascinating how in a show with three completely different storylines like this, they still all work together well to form a solid hour of television.

Not that this was a spectacular hour of TV or anything, more of a classic season premiere "let's check in with each character one by one and establish where they are, what they are reacting to, and what their goals will be for the immediate future" kind of stuff.

The most fascinating part was Jimmy's DRASTIC change of mood when he learned Chuck probably wouldn't be dead if not for what he said to the insurance company.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Mike's bits were awesome!  Can someone remind me, BTW exactly WHAT Madrigal does, and how many people there are actually involved in Gus's drug operation?  Is it JUST Lydia that knows?  The whole montage sequence of Mike driving around and taking notes and chastising people was so great!

I think Madrigal is basically a multinational conglomerate that has numerous different divisions and is involved in many different industries.  As I recall from BB, (without going back to rewatch anything, so I could be wrong about this) Madrigal is a corporate owner of Los Pollos Hermanos; remember, after Walter killed Gus in the nursing home, there was a scene at a Madrigal HQ somewhere in Europe.  A random corporate officer we'd never seen before was blankly trying new dipping sauces the corporate chefs had created ("Franch"), and then when he was about to be questioned by feds, he walked into a bathroom and killed himself with a defibrillator; during that sequence there was a shot of several fast food restaurant logos, and workers were taking down the Los Pollos Hermanos sign.  And then there's Lydia, who is some kind of logistics manager, overseeing freight and shipping in the United States; she supplied Fring's operation with the methyl-amine used to make crystal meth, and then later after Fring's death, helped Walter and the gang ship his blue meth to eastern Europe.  Not sure that answers your question, but I think it is a minimal number of people that know.  That's why I think Mike's actions at Magridal may create a problem, particularly when he quite conspicuously drops Lydia's name.  I can't imagine she will be pleased with him, making noise and causing a scene like that.  I wonder why he did it; at first I thought he was just bored, and wanted something to do--for the challenge, maybe, but I'm not so sure.  Mike is much smarter than that.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

(is that the guy that he eventually slits the throat of on BB?  I forget)

Yes, that was Victor.  

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The most fascinating part was Jimmy's DRASTIC change of mood when he learned Chuck probably wouldn't be dead if not for what he said to the insurance company.

I can't quite figure out what to make of that.  Was Jimmy happy that it was his fault?  Or was he happy that is WASN'T his fault, it was Howard's?

On 8/9/2018 at 5:55 PM, Matt S. said:

I think Madrigal is basically a multinational conglomerate that has numerous different divisions and is involved in many different industries.  As I recall from BB, (without going back to rewatch anything, so I could be wrong about this) Madrigal is a corporate owner of Los Pollos Hermanos; remember, after Walter killed Gus in the nursing home, there was a scene at a Madrigal HQ somewhere in Europe.  A random corporate officer we'd never seen before was blankly trying new dipping sauces the corporate chefs had created ("Franch"), and then when he was about to be questioned by feds, he walked into a bathroom and killed himself with a defibrillator; during that sequence there was a shot of several fast food restaurant logos, and workers were taking down the Los Pollos Hermanos sign.  And then there's Lydia, who is some kind of logistics manager, overseeing freight and shipping in the United States; she supplied Fring's operation with the methyl-amine used to make crystal meth, and then later after Fring's death, helped Walter and the gang ship his blue meth to eastern Europe.  Not sure that answers your question, but I think it is a minimal number of people that know. 

Yes, @Matt S., that is perfect, thank you!  I'm sure you've summed up all we really need to know about Madrigal, and it all has completely come back to me now.  Thanks!

That's why I think Mike's actions at Magridal may create a problem, particularly when he quite conspicuously drops Lydia's name.  I can't imagine she will be pleased with him, making noise and causing a scene like that.  I wonder why he did it; at first I thought he was just bored, and wanted something to do--for the challenge, maybe, but I'm not so sure.  Mike is much smarter than that.

Great question!  At first, it seemed like Mike was just bored.  He sees his check for $10k, that he knows he'll be getting every week, sits down to watch a game... then gets up and, well, "goes to work"!  I thought at first he just wanted to actually DO something to justify his paycheck... and that might still be the case.  But you're totally right - Lydia won't be happy that he dropped her name.  The question is what will she do about it - and I cannot possibly predict!

I can't quite figure out what to make of that.  Was Jimmy happy that it was his fault?  Or was he happy that is WASN'T his fault, it was Howard's?

Well!  The final 10 seconds of the episode was certainly the most interesting and thought-provoking of them all!

First of all, I think Hamlin's crying / confession can be read in 2 totally different ways:

* 1) He genuinely feels like it is his fault Chuck is dead, and admitted so to Kim & Jimmy while crying

* 2) He thinks that Jimmy torched Chuck's house (remember Jimmy saying "I'll burn this house to the ground!" when he got caught with the tape) OR he thinks Jimmy is behind the insurance company finding out about Chuck's condition, and is fake-crying as a ruse to try to get Jimmy to confess

Secondly, Jimmy's reaction to Hamlin's confession can be read in multiple ways

* 1) When he realizes it was his action of telling the insurance company about his condition that lead to his death, he went nutty and is now just kind of crazy, not himself

* 2) When he saw Hamlin taking responsibility for Chuck's death, he felt an immense wave of relief that no one will be blaming him, and went about his daily routine

* 3) He reacted so happily because he's truly happy Chuck died because of his actions, and not just randomly/mysteriously.  This is the darkest viewpoint!

I think it's purposely ambiguous why he acted in the manner that he did (at least for now), but it's worth pointing out that the scene ends not just with a major demeanor change, but a repeat of the prior daily ritual;  Feed the fish, dump the grounds, make new coffee.  At the start of the episode before he knew Chuck was dead, he had a daily routine that involved finding a new job to get his life on track until he can be a lawyer again.  Chuck's death & funeral sidelined all that, but the moment Hamlin had an explanation for the death, he snapped out of his sideline, and back into his new routine.

It's very possible he's faking being happy, and the full weight of Chuck's death will impact him hard later in the season.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Great question!  At first, it seemed like Mike was just bored.  He sees his check for $10k, that he knows he'll be getting every week, sits down to watch a game... then gets up and, well, "goes to work"!  I thought at first he just wanted to actually DO something to justify his paycheck... and that might still be the case.  But you're totally right - Lydia won't be happy that he dropped her name.  The question is what will she do about it - and I cannot possibly predict!

I'm now thinking Mike did it purposely, not to make waves, but to cover his own ass.  When he first met Lydia he was very unsure of the whole process, giving her his real name, social security #, etc.  He probably figures that if anybody looks too closely at him, he will need them to see him actually doing his job as a Madrigal security consultant.  For sure Lydia won't be happy, so maybe that's another step towards Mike working directly for Gus; since Madrigal owns Los Pollos Hermanos, he'd still be a Madrigal employee (and getting his money laundered) as the restaurant's "Director of Corporate Security."

4 hours ago, Jay said:

First of all, I think Hamlin's crying / confession can be read in 2 totally different ways:

* 1) He genuinely feels like it is his fault Chuck is dead, and admitted so to Kim & Jimmy while crying

* 2) He thinks that Jimmy torched Chuck's house (remember Jimmy saying "I'll burn this house to the ground!" when he got caught with the tape) OR he thinks Jimmy is behind the insurance company finding out about Chuck's condition, and is fake-crying as a ruse to try to get Jimmy to confess

Secondly, Jimmy's reaction to Hamlin's confession can be read in multiple ways

* 1) When he realizes it was his action of telling the insurance company about his condition that lead to his death, he went nutty and is now just kind of crazy, not himself

* 2) When he saw Hamlin taking responsibility for Chuck's death, he felt an immense wave of relief that no one will be blaming him, and went about his daily routine

* 3) He reacted so happily because he's truly happy Chuck died because of his actions, and not just randomly/mysteriously.  This is the darkest viewpoint!

I'd say #1 for Howard.  I'm actually starting to feel bad for Howard...from the beginning the show's portrayed him as an antagonist, but really he's just been trying to do the right thing all along, and always ends up stuck in the middle of everyone's problems.  He's never really had anything against Jimmy, at least not in the beginning; we know Chuck was the partner who refused to allow the firm to take Jimmy on as an attorney, which implies Howard was at least open to the idea.  He may have had less than professional reasons when he punished Kim and sent her to doc review, but he was gracious when she quit; he even forgave the loans she took out for law school.  And all along during Chuck's leave of absence, Howard always tried to do the right thing by both him and the firm.  He gave Chuck as much leeway as he could, but in the end he had to be the voice of reason.  Despite Howard's regrets after Chuck's death, Howard did indeed do the right thing when he bought out Chuck.  Chuck may have been 100% right about Jimmy all along, but he himself was not well, and he would have dragged HHM down.  So I think his crying was genuine, and he was just trying to find a moment to commiserate about his friend's death.

I'm not sure about Jimmy yet.  I'm leaning towards #2, but we'll see. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

My interpretation is sort of a combination of the last two. As a character, he's a very self-centered person. So I interpreted it as a relief that it was not his fault, because it is the FAULT that bothers him, not that Chuck is dead (which I think he finds somewhat of a relief).

I lean more toward Howard was being genuine there, too.

Jimmy is harder to read.  The abrupt 180 in emotion was pretty unexpected to me, personally!

New episode tonight!

It reminded me of the moment in Breaking Bad season 5 when Jesse breaks down on the couch crying about

Spoiler

the child Todd murdered after the train heist.

Walt appears to empathise with Jesse but as soon as Jesse leaves Walt breaks into cheerful whistling while finishing the cook.

It mirrors that scene as a transformative moment where you finally understand this character isn't the same person they used to be.

When Hamlin blamed himself to Jimmy over Chuck's death, Jimmy replied with "that's your cross to bear." I didn't read into it the things that you guys did, there; I felt it was merely a sarcastic and purposefully insensitive response to an egotistically tinged statement from Howard. Jimmy was frankly gauled that Chuck's business partner thought so impactfully of his own personal influence on his brother's problems and eventual demise - as if Howard ever knew of Chuck's personal issues as intimately as his own brother did. Yeah right! Jimmy thought to himself.

And in a final act of throwaway spite, Jimmy was happy for Howard to feel so bad about it. It was the least he was owed by the guy. But I definitely don't see any of that as Jimmy "offloading". It's more complex than that.

I wonder if Hamlin will even be on the show any more?  I mean, he was still listed as a main character in the opening credits, but Jimmy no longer works there, Kim no longer works there, and Chuck is dead.

The only reason he would still have to be around, I think, is either 1) Jimmy realizes the inheritance he got from Chuck's estate didn't include the buyout from the firm (wasn't it like $17 million or something) and he goes after him for it or 2) Hamlin thinks Jimmy caused the fire and goes after him for it.  The former seems way more likely (since as I said I lean towards Howard's confession being genuine), but I could also see him just not appearing any more either.  Who knows.   (I haven't seen last night's ep yet)

Another great episode! Michelle MacLaren always delivers, fantastic director.

I'm not sure what Hamlin's role in the show is from here? That seemed like a pretty resolute "goodbye" to his character tonight.

I get the feeling things will end particularly badly for her, the longer she stays around Jimmy. He's bad news, just as Walt became utterly toxic for Skyler in BB.

Such an underrated, restrained performance. Love her work.

I don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility that she’s still around during Breaking Bad. It would be a fittingly tragic ending if in the end Jimmy/Saul has to leave for Omaha without telling her.

There was no mention at all of Saul's personal life in Breaking Bad so there is no reason why she couldn't be part of his life during that time. 

It would be interesting if the show ended with a flash forward to the present day with Kim talking to someone about how he just disappeared one day.

I have a feeling the denouncement of the Kim/Jimmy arc prior to the events of BB is going to be either idiotically inevitable or devastating.

But I do still think Gilligan's and Gould's final plan for Saul is redemption and deliverance. Otherwise there'd be no point in the Cinnabon thread.

Better Call Saul 4x02 Breathe

Well, that was an AMAZING hour of television, one of the best I've seen in a long time.  The scene with Kim and Hamlin was utterly terrific, one of the best scenes to air on TV in a while.

Kim has been one of my favorite characters on current TV for a long time running, and she utterly cemented her place after this week.  That scene was pitch perfect in execution, on both Kim and Hamlin's parts.  I had no idea WHAT to expect from moment to moment through out that scene, but absolutely every action took, every word said and how it was delivered, was COMPLETELY in character for both of them.  Huge props to Rhea Seehorn, Patrick Fabian, and the writers for this great work.

Jimmy's story was just fantastic too.  The way he went from not getting the job, to talking himself into the job, to rejecting them just for hiring was ALSO very unexpected but COMPLETELY in character.  Jimmy's character is evolving in a totally organic but consistent way.  He's never going to work for someone else again, he wants to be the boss.

Nacho's storyline?  Also good!  He's fairly quickly risen up to be the 3rd co-lead of the show with Jimmy and Mike.  The unfortunately thing is, as I've grown to love his character over the years (he started out being rally inconsequential to things, didn't he?), I sense nothing but tragedy as the outcome of his storyline.  He just wants to do right by his dad, and lay low / not make waves in the criminal organization he's ended up in, but his choice to swap Hector's pills is really going to be his undoing, I think.  Gus making him his bitch this week has gotta be just the start.  The odds of him surviving the season are low, and surviving the end of the entire show basically zero, I'd say.

Mike?  His scenes with Lydia were very good, two people who choose their words carefully and have strong opinions of how things should go interacting.  I doubt we'll see more montages of Mike going to various Madrigal locations (that would be redundant), so I wonder what kind of situations he'll get himself into that will mix things up.  I loved Gus telling Lydia to give him a badge.

Gus having his guys check in on Hector while the cousins from BB were also there?  Neat to see the cousins again, interesting to see how deplorable Gus can be, how he wants to absolutely maximize the suffering Hector will go through.

Goddamn I love this show.  New episode tonight!

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Kim has been one of my favorite characters on current TV for a long time running, and she utterly cemented her place after this week.  That scene was pitch perfect in execution, on both Kim and Hamlin's parts.  I had no idea WHAT to expect from moment to moment through out that scene, but absolutely every action took, every word said and how it was delivered, was COMPLETELY in character for both of them.  Huge props to Rhea Seehorn, Patrick Fabian, and the writers for this great work.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nacho's storyline?  Also good!  He's fairly quickly risen up to be the 3rd co-lead of the show with Jimmy and Mike.  The unfortunately thing is, as I've grown to love his character over the years (he started out being rally inconsequential to things, didn't he?), I sense nothing but tragedy as the outcome of his storyline.  He just wants to do right by his dad, and lay low / not make waves in the criminal organization he's ended up in, but his choice to swap Hector's pills is really going to be his undoing, I think.  Gus making him his bitch this week has gotta be just the start.  The odds of him surviving the season are low, and surviving the end of the entire show basically zero, I'd say. 

I'm sure it's no coincidence that the two most interesting characters, Kim and Nacho (and I would also add Chuck in the previous seasons), are also the two whose futures are unknown.  No doubt that plays into their appeal; at this point in BCS, both Jimmy and Mike are ever closer to their BB roles, and Gus is Gus, so while it's neat to see how they get from A to B, chances are there won't be too many real surprises.  But it's the not knowing about Kim and Nacho that really makes us sit up and pay close attention to them (plus it helps that the actors are fantastic; this show (and BB) is perfectly cast).

9 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

I'm sure it's no coincidence that the two most interesting characters, Kim and Nacho (and I would also add Chuck in the previous seasons), are also the two whose futures are unknown. 

Definitely.

9 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

No doubt that plays into their appeal; at this point in BCS, both Jimmy and Mike are ever closer to their BB roles, and Gus is Gus, so while it's neat to see how they get from A to B, chances are there won't be too many real surprises.  But it's the not knowing about Kim and Nacho that really makes us sit up and pay close attention to them (plus it helps that the actors are fantastic; this show (and BB) is perfectly cast).

The casting on this show is off the hook; Every single main character AND all the secondary characters is SO GOOD.

And yea, the only real change in character we see from Gus is those flashbacks to the 90s.  By 2002 he's already the same Gus we know from BB, so I don't expect any big character moments from him, just maybe some interesting facets of how he treats Hector between now and the start of BB.  He's mostly just going to be the antagonist in Nacho's storyline now I guess.

Kim's storyline could certainly end in tragedy eventually too.  While I really expect Nacho's to, Kim's could still go either way.   Happy reunion between Jimmy and Kim in the Cinnabon timeline would be great, maybe, but who knows what they have cooked up...

I notice that the film which Kim and Jimmy opted for was [Walter] White Heat. I wonder whether their other choice, Jaws 3-D, contained a similar sort of reference. Any ideas?

There also seemed to be some subtle Netflix promotion in that scene!

White Heat is not a reference to Walter White.  Come on!

And Netflix didn't have streaming in 2003.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

White Heat is not a reference to Walter White.

Certainly it is!

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

And Netflix didn't have streaming in 2003.

That's irrelevant. The scene shows its characters scorning TV with advertisements, and ends with them Netflix-and-chilling! I'd say that, more likely than not, this was a subtle, humorous nod in the direction of Netflix by the writers. That inference could be a pure fabrication of mine, sure enough, but not the White Heat one; out of all of the thousands of film titles they could have gone for...

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Kim's storyline could certainly end in tragedy eventually too.  While I really expect Nacho's to, Kim's could still go either way.   Happy reunion between Jimmy and Kim in the Cinnabon timeline would be great, maybe, but who knows what they have cooked up...

Oooohh, maybe the taxi driver with the "Albuquerque Isotopes" thing hanging from his rear view mirror is a P.I. sent by Kim to locate him?  🤨

I can't imagine Kim would have any earthly idea that he's in Omaha, nor would a PI be able to track him down there since the Robert Forster character seemed very thorough and nobody found Walt.  If she's alive in that timeline, and if he wants to see her, he'd have to travel to her, I'd say.