BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

I think they did a disservice to Mike's story by having the episode jump around in the timeline. It was more than a little confusing.

Instead, I think it would have made more sense to do it like this:

OK, so the previous episode ended with the cops coming to Mike's door in the present timeline, right? So start this episode with him in the interrogation room with the cops, just saying "lawyer" over and over again. They ask him which lawyer, he slides forward the "Need a will? Call McGill!" card, and we cut to the "Better Call Saul" titles.

Then act one is the entire Mike/Jimmy/cops sequence, ending with Mike flipping through the notebook they got. NOW we finally show the entire extended flashback of Mike's backstory.

Then end the episode back in the present timeline with his monologue to his daughter in law.

It is Jimmy's show after all, and it was kind of odd to only stuff him into the middle of the show. My way, he's still featured like the main character, who just disappears for the long flashback and final scene.

I disagree with this. Now that the show is ended, do you still feel the same? I also strongly disagree with that Slate.com complaint about Mike linked a few pages back; for me his backstory has been one of the most satisfying parts of the show.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the hilarious hussle montage from the final episode.

Anyway, this first season was a class act from start to finish.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the hilarious hussle montage from the final episode.

????

He falls of the wagon, goes back to Chicago and becomes Slippin Jummy. Hima nd Marco pull a bunch of ingenious scams for a full week, one of them involving Jimmy pretending to be Kevin Costner. :) Another great montage!

In Cicero Jimmy reunites with Marco at the same bar he last saw him at ten years ago, and before long they are spending a week together running various scams and grifts. The entire sequence was nicely done, especially the montage part of it.

I'm not really concerned with how one episode was edited. The season overall was fantastic!

The ending, in which Jimmy rejects the awesome Santa Fe opportunity, is a reminder that this show isn't about how he becomes the best he can be, but rather how he becomes Saul Goodman.

The montage was great, even if it may have run a little long on top of the time they swindled the half dollar. But it represents Jimmy's nervous breakdown and unwind period, which catalyzes his next action.

I loved that montage!

Though it took me some convincing at the end to really believe that Jimmy would pass on the opportunity of a lifetime where he gets the big job and is able to get back at Chuck.

Jimmy tried to be legit, it didn't work, and he decides to abandon the venture. I don't really understand what turned Chuck against his brother in what seems like a short time, so a rewatch is in order. Was he against Jimmy the entire season, and Howard who we thought was the real douche, was only acting on the wishes of Jimmy's two faced deceitful brother? If so, then instead of being the rock his brother needs, Chuck has shown Jimmy that no matter what he does, he'll never be accepted as legit, so why bother?

Chuck was the person who was against Jimmy becoming a partner at HHM.

He believes that Jimmy is a criminal at heart and always will be.

He was proud of him when he straightened out his act and worked in the mail room, but that he should never have become a lawyer. Especially not via the University Of American Samoa.

That's a shame because after working closely with him on the nursing home case, he should have seen his change in work ethic. Jimmy's resolution to the Kettleman case was not something he could have known, so he should have been able to see his brother had promise.

Unfortunately, some people believe that others can never change, regardless of effort and time. Chuck is the Javert to Jimmy's Valjean, and Jimmy knows this now. He's heard his calling.

It's interesting how many people symphatize with Jimmy rather then Chuck, even though BB and parts of BCS already tell us that Chuck is essentially correct.This proves Gilligan has succeeded in making Jimmy intyo our "hero" for this show.

Jimmy certainly wasnt squicky clean in S1. Frpm the stunt with the twins, to taking the Kettleman bribe to staging some free publicity with his heroic stunt. Jimmy has shows that he has a propensity for deviant behaviour when things arent going his way. Chuck knew that.

It is interesting that even though Jimmy is clearly a criminal in BB, he retains his strong personal ethics when it comes to wanting the best for his clients.

I also noted that a few times in BB Saul refuses to take a bribe. Possible becuase of the Kettleman incident.

That's a shame because after working closely with him on the nursing home case, he should have seen his change in work ethic. Jimmy's resolution to the Kettleman case was not something he could have known, so he should have been able to see his brother had promise.

Unfortunately, some people believe that others can never change, regardless of effort and time. Chuck is the Javert to Jimmy's Valjean, and Jimmy knows this now. He's heard his calling.

Well, I don't think its so much Chuck judging Jimmy's capabilities as it is a matter of pride. Chuck was pleased to see Jimmy straighten out his life. But he sure as hell wasn't going to sit there and watch Jimmy do what it took a lifetime for himself, in just a few years. Chuck was perfectly satisfied with Jimmy being a lower tier lawyer. But his stuck-up sense of self-righteousness and moral conduct couldn't dare dream of him joining a top tier law firm HMM. It would besmirch the name of the firm and everything Chuck's work stood for.

And he's right. Having natural talent isn't ebough in the world. Assuming this is a law firm that looks for people coming out of Harvard or Columbia, Jimmy is a fool to think his barely certifiable degree would get him a partner seat with JUST one great case...

Jimmy tried to be legit, it didn't work, and he decides to abandon the venture. I don't really understand what turned Chuck against his brother in what seems like a short time, so a rewatch is in order. Was he against Jimmy the entire season, and Howard who we thought was the real douche, was only acting on the wishes of Jimmy's two faced deceitful brother? If so, then instead of being the rock his brother needs, Chuck has shown Jimmy that no matter what he does, he'll never be accepted as legit, so why bother?

Since the Kettleman incident, he was squeaky clean though. If Jimmy took the job, he could have hit Chuck where it hurts most, by shattering his image of what a true lawyer really should be.

But I guess the memory of his friend made him question whether any of it is really worth it. And so he began the road to becoming Saul Goodman.

Yet he was offered a partnership in the very next episode by another firm who never even met him.....

Also, Chuck actually stated that Slippin' Jimmy with a law degree is a dangerous prospect.

Even if he did become a partner in a big law firm, he would always be Slippin' Jimmy for Chuck.

Yet he was offered a partnership in the very next episode by another firm who never even met him....

Yeah, I don't know how likely that would actually be. I have a feeling the firm doesn't know Jimmy's background, just his success with this case.

Also, Chuck actually stated that Slippin' Jimmy with a law degree is a dangerous prospect.

Even if he did become a partner in a big law firm, he would always be Slippin' Jimmy for Chuck.

Yeah of course. But it'd probably anger Chuck to see Slippin' Jimmy in a position of notoriety.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the first episode and I don't know what to think of it. I feel the quality is sorta there but is Saul an interesting enough character? In fact, I thought the B&W opening scenes were the best thing about it.

Alex

I had the same kind of impression of the entire show. The acting is superb, writing very tight and tidy, production values second to none... But the central character is not terribly interesting. I liked him as a colourful secondary character but that's so far it. Besides, I don't really get the premise of all this. Is it the story of him becoming corrupt? He sort of was already. Is it about him falling out with his family/friends? Well, you kind of expect that. Is it about his rise to power? We already know where he's going to end up. It's almost like explaining why Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader. Good anecdote, not very good story. I still hope this brief black and white segment will actually offer us some twist on a story of which we already know the outcome. Walter White was interesting because, no matter how dark his motivations, were he was still the ultimate everyman and we could relate to him. I cannot relate to Jimmy/Saul at all.

Still, almost everything around that story is rather good.

Karoo

I had the same kind of impression of the entire show. The acting is superb, writing very tight and tidy, production values second to none... But the central character is not terribly interesting. I liked him as a colourful secondary character but that's so far it. Besides, I don't really get the premise of all this. Is it the story of him becoming corrupt? He sort of was already. Is it about him falling out with his family/friends? Well, you kind of expect that. Is it about his rise to power? We already know where he's going to end up. It's almost like explaining why Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader. Good anecdote, not very good story. I still hope this brief black and white segment will actually offer us some twist on a story of which we already know the outcome. Walter White was interesting because, no matter how dark his motivations, were he was still the ultimate everyman and we could relate to him. I cannot relate to Jimmy/Saul at all.

Still, almost everything around that story is rather good.

Karoo

Also, Breaking Bad leans towards an ensemble piece driven by Walter White, while Better Call Saul seems to focus on Saul and nothing else. Scene after scene, a whole season, Saul this, Saul that ... The makers do put a lot of trust in that character.

I wouldn't say it focuses exclusively on him (as you'll soon find) but they do seem to put a lot of stress on his character. That's a really good observation actually.

Karol

Better than Breaking Bad?

Karol

We're just one season in, so no, but the high quality production in all areas is absolutely a match. Breaking Bad has a couple of weak episodes during its whole run imo, it isn't 'flawless'. I wonder if Saul will avoid similar pitfalls. No mean feat.

The first episode is one of the least interesting episodes.

Agreed, but that isn't a criticism from me. It's like saying BB season 1 is the weakest - when compared to much of other tv it is outstanding.

But yeah, Better Call Saul is very slow burn, especially to begin with. I've come to realise that when the writing and performance is there, that unwinding style is my personal favourite. But it's not for everyone.

I love BB season 1 and it used to irritate me when people said it was the 'weakest', but I don't think the show became sublime till season 2. Just my own view, because it's all special really.

Season 1 is very strong, a great first season for any show. It is only weak in hindsight, compared to the consistent excellence starting with the introduction of Gus in S2, in my opinion.

I loved all of it too, of course. But the following seasons were making a lot more attempts to be "entertaining". This one didn't even try to be hip. It was just a story of this broken man who had a mid-life crisis. I admired that.

Karol

I love all of Breaking Bad and all of Better Call Saul.

I simply think that every season of Breaking Bad was better than the previous, therefore making Season 1 the "weakest".

And I feel Season 1 of Better Call Saul is better than Season 1 of Breaking Bad.

Its consistently well-made from start to finish, the difference is the more you know the characters, the more you appreciate what they go through.

I agree. But then, the pilot is really impressive. The entire show in under an hour. It's amazing how much stuff they managed to put in there.

Karol

Don't expect that to be a trend though. After this BCS becomes its own thing.

Which I daresay is, for me anyway, more enjoyable overall if only for its lesser degree of darkness.

The first two episodes feel like they want to assure the viewers that Vince and co still have that BB touch. It's all downhill from here Alex, nothing but episodic weekly stories about boring court cases.

I really dont think it's for you....