BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

Breaking Bad covers from Walter White's 50th birthday in 2008 to shortly after his 52nd birthday in 2010.

Better Call Saul begins in 2002, but its unclear how much time has passed from the first episode until now, and there's really no way to tell how far beyond 2010 the Cinnabon Manager Gene scenes we've seen are taking place in.

EDIT: Holy poop, this wikia page says his birthday is September 7th, same as me!

Better Call Saul 3x03 Sunk Costs

Loved the cold open, even though I had no idea what it meant at the time - was it a reference to Breaking Bad?  Something from a prior BCS episode?  Or was I not supposed to understand it yet?  In retrospect, it was showing us the sneakers Mike shot the hole through, sometime later (years? months?) when Gus is bringing meth into the US instead of Hector.  Neat!

Loved the way Act 1 started with the pulsing music and the immediate return to the phone call Mike gets in the street.  The "confrontation" between Mike and Gus was so well done!  Two meticulous professionals discussing their business and morals, vague but clear threats from Gus.  Loved it!  Gus looks WAY older than he does in BB though, but there's really nothing you can do about it.  Then came Jimmy outside Chuck's house.  I was not expecting such a low key, passive Jimmy after the explosive way episode 2 ended!  He really calmed down quick!  It was actually pretty surprising he was willing to be arrested instead of running away.  I don't even think he has a big plan, he just wants to accept his fate here.  Interesting.  His warning to Chuck about how he will die, surrounding by electronic machines, was a nice little attack.

The montage of Kim getting ready that opened act 2 was incredible!  Another great montage in a show full of great montages.  Loved how she recognized Ernie's car as soon as she came outside.  Jimmy's scenes in the courthouse were great, I liked the other lawyer character he talked to (I think we've seen him before, right?).  When Kim showed up to defend him, my heart was tugged; She loves him despite everything, and is only going to get hurt.  I love how Mike has a drug buying contact in Mexico, because of course he does.

Jimmy with that lawyer again was a nice little scene, really liked the burger and how it played into their conversation.  Mike with the sneakers, I love the way this show is constantly introducing things that you have no idea what they are all about then it gets explained later in the episode.  So the case worker that visits Chuck, and we start to see his plan.  He's really revealing himself to be just as underhanded as Jimmy can be, the way he was talking about Jimmy and setting things up the way he wanted.

The desert sequence with Mike was another wonderful Mike sequence, with another great Dave Porter cue.  I loved his plan!  Gus's only thought was to basically just rob a truck again ; I love how Mike either on the fly came up with, or already had in the back of his mind, a plan to get Hector's guys arrested instead.  The shooting of the sneakers with meth in them to sprinkle over the back of the truck was so smart!  I didn't really understand why he was shooting in the air before that, though?  Was it just so they wouldn't stop the truck when they heard the shot that hit the sneakers?

The end of the episode where Kim and Jimmy discuss their options was great.  Jimmy realizes Chuck only wants him to be disbarred, and they discuss the best ways to fight it.  I LOVED the hand holding moment, it was perfectly executed.  Kim is willing to help Jimmy out, but at what cost?  Will something slip in the Mesa Verde case..... or will a piece of her soul be the price?  Off we go another week to ponder!

BTW, the final shot of the episode was incredible!

e1QWx8t.jpg

Does this show quietly have the best cinematography on TV?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

love how Mike has a drug buying contact in Mexico, because of course he does.

That's the doctor who works for Gus; he's the same guy in BB who saves Gus and Mike after they kill Don Eladio and his men with the poisoned tequila.  Also; when that scene in the clinic started, the bell rang as the door opened and then there was the shot of an empty wheelchair; tell me that's not foreshadowing what eventually happens to Hector!

So many little things are starting to come together and tie in with BB, I love it!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The shooting of the sneakers with meth in them to sprinkle over the back of the truck was so smart!  I didn't really understand why he was shooting in the air before that, though?  Was it just so they wouldn't stop the truck when they heard the shot that hit the sneakers?

Precisely. Mike needed the smugglers to not react suspiciously at a single gunshot. But a few of them far away that were not aimed at them or tied to their specific actions would not raise alarm. Otherwise they might stop the truck and definitely see the drugs raining down. 

Sometimes I consider how alarming it is to hear gunshots in an urban or residential neighborhood. Some crime has been committed. Gunshot in the country? Probably someone shooting a groundhog. 

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Does this show quietly have the best cinematography on TV?

It's certainly up there (like you, I also loved that Victor Fleming-like shot).

It's not on the level of UTOPIA (see below for a sample), which IMO is the alltime greatest when it comes to TV cinematography (with TWIN PEAKS on second), but among the shows running right now, it might very well be. No offense to GAME OF THRONES, HANNIBAL, TRUE DETECTIVE, PENNY DREADFUL, THE WALKING DEAD and all other 'lavishly' photographed series.

utopia-scenes.jpg

23 hours ago, Matt S. said:

That's the doctor who works for Gus; he's the same guy in BB who saves Gus and Mike after they kill Don Eladio and his men with the poisoned tequila.  Also; when that scene in the clinic started, the bell rang as the door opened and then there was the shot of an empty wheelchair; tell me that's not foreshadowing what eventually happens to Hector!

So many little things are starting to come together and tie in with BB, I love it!

Oh, gotcha. So Mike discussed his plan with Gus offscreen, and Gus told Mike to contact this doctor to get meth. Gotcha. 

I'll never recognize these minor BB characters, watched it too long ago now. 

And yea, definitely noticed the doorbell. 

17 hours ago, Alex said:

I'm sure there's a obvious explanation that I can't think of, but why is it not in Gus' interest to kill Hector?

He wants to take away his drug empire and kill his family while Hector is alive to revel in his grief in retaliation for what Hector did to him (which we saw in BB flashback episode). 

On 4/27/2017 at 2:29 AM, Alex said:

I'm sure there's a obvious explanation that I can't think of, but why is it not in Gus' interest to kill Hector?

20 hours ago, Jay said:

He wants to take away his drug empire and kill his family while Hector is alive to revel in his grief in retaliation for what Hector did to him (which we saw in BB flashback episode). 

11 hours ago, Alex said:

Ah yes, of course

I just read this interesting discussion about the various reasons Gus might have said that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/betterCallSaul/comments/67z8nr/major_spoilers_s3e3_can_someone_explain_why_gus/

Witness

Catching up after a busy week.

Directed by Vince and features some outstanding camerawork. From the many vistas during Mike's stake-out to the dark atrmosphere of Chuck's house as he checks the locks.

Mike's story get's more time here than Jimmy's. We see him following the tracker through the night as it passes several drop-offs, eventually ending at Los Pollos Hermanos (great music for that scene)

Mike than recruits Jimmy to stake-out a bag drop in the restaurant itself. Leading toa scene that's both tense and hilarious. Jimmy is so obviously tryint to look casual he stands out. Gus is introduced to the show and senses something is wrong.

It's interesting why Jimmy would even agree to do this. He's running a seemingly booming practice now. He could go 100% legit, but for some reason he can't. 

Jimmy's story. He and Kim hire a new secretary even though Kim isnt sure she's suitable for her practice. Another example of Jimmy basically pushing though his opinion over the far more deliberate Kim.

Kim gets a call from Ernesto (who drives either a Subaru Impreza or an Evo! Crazy!) Ernie tells her about the tape.

The sequence that follows brilliantly illustrates the difference between Kim and Jimmy.

Kim weights both the legal and non-legal options Chuck might take and attempts to come up with a strategy, while Jimmy hauls ass to Chucks place and demands the tape back. Sadly Howard and a private-eye are present and function as witnesses.

Great scene with Howards btw as he tried to sneak into Chucks house from the back and has to scale a wall. He's clearly not amused by Chucks plans.

Simply a great episode with a hell of an ending. Superb acting from Odenkirk and especially McKean in the final scene. His expression as he essentially nails Jimmy red handed has both triumph and deep sadness in it.

Sunk Costs

Jimmy gets banged up for the night after breaking in and assaulting Chuck.Good character scenes between him and the slimy DA as he tries to find out who's gonna be handling the case. 

We find out Chuck really doesnt want his brother to go to jail. Despite all that has happened he has a soft spot for him. Like Kim does, like Ernesto (who got fired). But he wants Jimmy to stop practising law. Jimmy can get out of doing jail time by pleading guilty and submitting his confession to the bar association, which would most likely take away his license. Jimmy, and Kim chose to take on Chuck despite the odds.

Low key compared the the previous ep, but full of good character scenes. Especially for Kim, who once again gets herself involved more than she should.

The Mike story is good too. Finally Mike and Gus meet face to face in one of those classic Breaking Bad scenes of a bunch of guys in black cars meeting in the desert. 

Gus convinces Mike to stop trying to kill Hector but encourages more robberies. Something Mike isnt looking for

Mike's solution is essentially another half measure, but rather brilliantly set up. We see the pair of shoes in the teaser and all the time I was wondering what Mike's game was. 

The execution was rather brilliantly done.

Another good one!

On 27/04/2017 at 1:24 AM, Jay said:

Loved it!  Gus looks WAY older than he does in BB though, but there's really nothing you can do about it.  

Agreed, this is just something I've decided not to let bother me. The only way to fix that would be make-up or CGI, and on a TV budget I doubt either would be convincing enough.

On 27/04/2017 at 1:24 AM, Jay said:

I love how Mike has a drug buying contact in Mexico, because of course he does.

My interpretation of it was that it was Gus why arranged that. Mike did say an associate of his called ahead.

Yes, we already covered that in a later post.  I definitely wasn't thinking when I originally said that.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It's interesting why Jimmy would even agree to do this. He's running a seemingly booming practice now. He could go 100% legit, but for some reason he can't. 

Yea, that's just it.  He just can't help himself.  No matter how many amaze legit opportunities present themselves to him, he just can't help himself from going the other way.  I can relate, really.

Kim gets a call from Ernesto (who drives either a Subaru Impreza or an Evo! Crazy!)

Why is that crazy?

Great scene with Howards btw as he tried to sneak into Chucks house from the back and has to scale a wall. He's clearly not amused by Chucks plans.

It was hilarious seeing the perfectly suited up and tailored Hamlin going through all that.  Great idea they had to show that.

Superb acting from Odenkirk and especially McKean in the final scene. His expression as he essentially nails Jimmy red handed has both triumph and deep sadness in it.

Yea, a mixture of triump and sadness is a great way to describe it

Sunk Costs

No mention of the brilliant Kim getting ready montage?  Bah!

Mike's solution is essentially another half measure, but rather brilliantly set up. 

Is it really a half measure, though?  Isn't getting two of Hector's drivers arrested actually MORE damaging than just robbing another truck?  

That was brilliant actually. I dunno what I was thinking to not mention that.

On 20/04/2017 at 8:26 PM, Jay said:

I did think that the final music stinger as the Los Pollos Hermanos sign was shown was a bit much, though; It's not like we didn't all know it was coming with AMC hyping both Gus and LPH so much between seasons.

I get your point but I disagree. Most people will be watching this on Netflix not AMC. Internationally anyway.

Also, who knows when the episode was edited and scored, might have been long before the adverts. And Porter probably doesnt have anything to do with them.

In-universe, it worked.

I was thinking about that teaser:  As someone who watched BB first, you see the Los Pollos Hermanos truck and you understand what it means later, that Gus has taken over the distribution of Mexican meth into the US, with his trucks now driving the same route that Hector's trucks used to.  

But say someone is watching BCS without knowing a thing about BB.  The road conversation between Mike and Gus is when you learn that Gus isn't just manager of the chicken restaurant that helped Jimmy get his watch out of the trash, he's a competitor in the drug game.  And that teaser is really how a non-BB watcher learns that Gus uses his legit company's trucks in his drug ring.  Neat.

I think the reason is the lengthy Mike montages in episode 1 and 2 featured no dialogue, so the music took center stage, and Porter really came up with something extremely effective for them.

But yea, I've enjoyed his cues so much this season, it makes me want to go back and see what he was doing in seasons 1 and 2 because I wasn't paying much attention to it

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think the reason is the lengthy Mike montages in episode 1 and 2 featured no dialogue, so the music took center stage, and Porter really came up with something extremely effective for them.

True. The first half of Witness is basically Mike following a car, looking at stuff. The great camerwork and the music really elevate what could have been a dreary scene. Also helps that Banks can hold the viewers attention by literally doing nothing.

Yea.  Banks' acting, Porter's music, and Gilligan's directing (and the cinematopher and editor he oversaw) really came together to make some extremely watchable TV there

That was a fascinating episode, lots of moving parts in motion now! Can't wait to see what Jimmy and Kim's next chess move is; you knew the entire time something was up. As always, Gilligan and co. leave you guessing until the last.

So presumably Kim was hunting for Chuck to admit a copy was made, because it's related to whatever note Mike found in Chuck's address book? What's the relevance of all the photos? Or is there a legal loophole they're after, with Jimmy having "destroyed the personal property" of something that was a duplicate? They laboured on this point.

Maybe Jimmy gets Chuck back at his own game. He somehow lures an embarrassing confession out of Chuck, covertly records it, then gets Mike to switch tapes with the one Chuck has under lock and key (or they just sabotage the tape magnetically so it has no recordings on it).

Mike's granddaughter is puzzling me. If this is 6 years before BB she should be much young than she looks

The first episode of BCS was in 2002, but its not really clear how much time has passed from then until now.  I mean, I think its still 2002 but it could be 2003 or 2004 theoretically?  How old was Mike's grandaughter in BB?  All scenes in BB with Mike would take place in 2009 I think.

Also, "a bullet to the head would have been far too humane." Badass line from Gus. Starting to suspect Gus and Mike are directly responsible for the crippled state of Hector in BB. Seems like Gus will get the justice he seeks but Hector, ultimately, has the last laugh.

I love how both story-lines revolve around opposing characters playing a revolving game of high-stakes chess, with strategic moves against each other being endlessly one-upped. It's brilliant writing, simple as that.

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

The first episode of BCS was in 2002, but its not really clear how much time has passed from then until now.  I mean, I think its still 2002 but it could be 2003 or 2004 theoretically?  How old was Mike's grandaughter in BB?  All scenes in BB with Mike would take place in 2009 I think.

I reckon she must be at least 8/9 in BB

IMG_4037.PNG

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

That was a fascinating episode, lots of moving parts in motion now! Can't wait to see what Jimmy and Kim's next chess move is; you knew the entire time something was up. As always, Gilligan and co. leave you guessing until the last.

I was a bit surprised at how quickly Kim resorted to underhanded tactics, since all along she's been the one who insists on doing everything by the book (apart from their little Giselle and Viktor-with-a-K schemes).  The first scene she's in, she's going through the yellow pages one by one to find the repairman Chuck hired, then she cancels the appointment so Jimmy can send Mike to snoop around and do whatever he did.  That seems awfully shady to me.  She didn't even bat an eye at it, and at the end, she and Jimmy seem to know they've got Chuck right where they want him.  I also wonder what it was Mike found in Chuck's book; maybe it was the name of the P.I. who was watching Chuck's house...it might make sense that Chuck gave the original tape to him to safeguard, so now Mike will have to go in and steal it?  Or replace it with a new tape Jimmy makes, "altering" his confession?  

Whatever happens I don't see Jimmy getting away scot-free here.  Even if he's not disbarred, maybe his name is so tarnished that he can't practice under the McGill name anymore...something must happen that requires him to change his name to Saul Goodman....I feel like we're getting closer...step by step...

Or it could be that he tanks his brother's career by proving him to be unfit as a legal professional (by revealing his condition), but tarnishes the McGill name in the process. So Chuck, after trying to destroy Jimmy's hopes of practicing law, ends up having his own career left in ruins and Jimmy forges a new career under a new name.

I wonder if there's any significance to that line about the prosecutor's friend experiencing similar issues to Chuck upon hearing the sound of a boys' choir. That seemed like an unusually important inclusion.

Sabrosito

The opening is reminiscent of Breaking Bad's 4th season. A flashback where we see Gus Fring's dealings with the kartel.

Hector brings his monthly earnings to Don Eladio, but Gus Fring's contributions far outweights his. Much to Hector's chagrin. It's a very sense scene full of laden silences and macho posturing. 

We then see Hector, a few years later as his distribution network has collapsed after the DEA confiscated the drugs at the border. Visiting Fring's main branch of Los Pollos Hermanos. In Breaking Bad we mostly see Hector as the frail old man in a wheelchair. It's quite impressive to see him excude a shitload of menace despite being an older gentleman. You do not wanna mess with him.

There's a great scene where the day after Hector and his men basically took Gus' employees hostage. We see him as the the kindhearted but strong employee. Apologizing his his workforce and offering both overtime and counseling for those who need it. There's quite a lot of both Fring and Hector in this episode. To the extent that this is their arc rather than Mike's

Mike actually gets hired again by Jimmy to fix Chuck's door (after a brilliant bit of research from Kim) and take some photographs of Chucks house. For reasons that arent completely explained in this episode but suggest that Kim and Jimmy have a plan. Mike later meets with Gus, where he's tentatively offered a job. Something Mike might possibly consider. 

The final part of the episode is all Jimmy's story, as there's an informal hearing where the deal suggested by Chuck is finalized. Again a scene laden with silences as it appears that Jimmy's out of options and has no choice but to play ball. Like how anally retentive Chuck and Howard are about the details of the confession and the amount of damages Jimmy needs to pay. Jimmy is asked to apologize to Chuck and does so, but in a veiled way really doesnt. Even Kim's insistence that she will file a motion to prevent the tape (which Chuck of course copied) feels like an idle threat. Jimmy really seems to be cornered.

And yet he isnt. Kim and Jimmy have a plan, and it's apparently going well!

A fairly low key episode, yet somehow it isnt. All the pieces of the separate games that are being played have moved slightly forward. Game Of Thrones could only dream of this level of writing and plotting. And there's some great character stuff too. Gus especially really becomes a new lead here. No montages. But I did notice some subtle but effective scoring from Porter.

On 02/05/2017 at 4:50 PM, Matt S. said:

I was a bit surprised at how quickly Kim resorted to underhanded tactics, since all along she's been the one who insists on doing everything by the book (apart from their little Giselle and Viktor-with-a-K schemes).

Kim has essentially already broken bad. She's the one who calmly suggested to Jimmy that Chuck would be trying to prove that Jimmy conned him. Leading Jimmy to cause the whole charade at the copy shop. And her insistence to defend Jimmy doesnt make things any better for her. I guess it's a mixture of her truly caring for Jimmy and self-preservation. There's no way her name wouldnt be tarnished if Jimmy's Mesa Verde trick came out.

On 02/05/2017 at 5:50 PM, crumbs said:

Or it could be that he tanks his brother's career by proving him to be unfit as a legal professional (by revealing his condition),

Chuck's conditions seems to be well known in the New Mexico legal fraternity. At least well known enough that it's known Chuck hasnt been practising law full time in a while. 

The picture of the gas lantarn on the newspaper Jimmy mentioned seems to indicate he wants to prove Chuck is a risk to himself, and possibly to others. Jimmy's ace in the hole appears to be that he can have Chuck commited under the right circumstances. (he's refused to twice before).

But the fact that Howard and the Private Eye witnessed his little break-in is something they need to deal with first.

Better Call Saul 3x04 Sabrosito

Cold Open - Wow, I was not expecting this!  I'm sure this was the same set as the famous Breaking Bad flashback, complete with the pool and Don Eliado (sorry, not gonna look up the spelling) swimming and everything.  Neat!  This whole prologue was really cool!  For a viewer who knows Breaking Bad, its so excellent to see more of the beginnings of the Gus / Hector dynamic.  For someone who doesn't know BB at all, its good to introduce the drug aspect of the storyline into the show, its no longer a simple show about a slightly crooked lawyer, we're definitely in drug kingpin territory now.  The acting in this was really cool, I loved the anger seething underneath the surface in Hector.

Act 1 - As the opening credits rolled by, I saw the name of the actor who plays Nacho and thought to myself "wow, he's still a part of the main cast?" and then "It's 4 episodes in and he still hasn't shown up this season" - and sure enough, there he was!  The entire scene with Hector invading Los Pollos Hermanos was great.  Such a slow burn as the tension ratcheted and ratcheted up.  I loved Nacho here, you could tell he wasn't comfortable and didn't really like what was happening and didn't think it was a good idea.  I loved the little nod he gave to the other guy to let one family out.  

I loved how Gus was at a fire station putting on his false front at the time, a nice BB callback as well as just a good character trait for new viewers to know about.  When Gus comes in to talk with Hector, it was yet another great scene.  On paper, two drug kingpins threatening each other and telling each other what to do is cliched and well-trodden territory, but here its infinitely watchable.  I'm sure its a combination of the writing and the acting that puts it on another level.  Mike not taking the $30,000 was interesting.  An entire first act without Jimmy at all!  The show is firmly in "this show is much bigger than just Jimmy's story" territory.

Act 2 - The scene with Gus talking to his employees was also well done.  He is so good at saying what he needs to say, and making it seem like he really meant it and had all their best interests at heart (and he probably does care for them in a way, but would likely let them all die to save his own life if he had to).  In fact, you kind of wonder how much of a legit businessman Gus really wants to be (at this point in time and just in general) or if its 100% only to ensure his drug empire.  Good stuff.

The scene with Kim on the phone was another great Kim scene, I just love her.  Finally we see Jimmy (maybe 20 minutes into the episode?) and he's hard at work - love that character trait about him.  What's happening here is interesting - we're not sure what is going - what is this handyman appointment with Chuck all about, etc.  Sometimes its nice to not know every plan ahead of time.  I never thought before how Mike and Chuck had never met!  The whole scene with Mike in Chuck's house was clever.

Act 3 - I love the dynamic between Jimmy and Mike, how they help each other out.  I also love the little detail that when we see Mike working at the courthouse, he's reading Handyman magazine :lol: Gus's visit and talk with Mike was cool!  The Dave Porter music here was EXCELLENT, adding this level of foreboding that wasn't there just in the visuals.  It's always interesting to hear Mike talk about his morals, and see that Gus respects him and realizes he can be a good asset.

Act 4 - The settlement scene was so tense, so much tension in the air!  The little nigglings over tiny details would be boring on any other show but fantastic here.  The apology from Jimmy was so well-acted!  I LOVED that at the end, once again, we don't know what Jimmy and Kim are up to.  We've entered a new act of the story, and Gilligan and Gould are telling it in a different way.  Can't wait to see where it goes.

Just wait till you get to the next one. One of the show's best episodes yet! Riveting stuff.

On 5/8/2017 at 6:18 AM, Stefancos said:

Sabrosito

The opening is reminiscent of Breaking Bad's 4th season. A flashback where we see Gus Fring's dealings with the kartel.

Hector brings his monthly earnings to Don Eladio, but Gus Fring's contributions far outweights his. Much to Hector's chagrin. It's a very sense scene full of laden silences and macho posturing. 

We then see Hector, a few years later

I think you missed something here, either that or I did.  I am 99.9% sure, though that the opening was NOT a flashback; it was the blowback from Mike's shoe-meth stunt, taking place in the current timeline.  Then the Hector inside Los Pollos scene was like, a few days later or whatever.

Again, unless I misinterpreted something?

The opening to Sabrosito was not a flashback. The lighting tone was deceptive. Hector was shown as an old man. It was the aftermath of the shoe that leads to the hostage situation. 

Compare this to the classic BB episode that shows Don Eladio's pool, where Gus' lover is killed. Hector was a dark haired younger man there. That was a flashback. 

From Sepinwall's review of episode 5:

* The Rebecca flashback and Chuck’s testimony about the divorce make clear it was an amicable split — if not something he wanted — and that Chuck’s condition came after, possibly as a result, rather than being the cause of it. Note that in the flashback, Chuck’s lie about the power company mistakenly turning off his electricity revolved around a transposition of numbers in an address — the exact same move Jimmy used as part of the con to steal Mesa Verde out from under him.

Brilliant!

1 hour ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

The opening to Sabrosito was not a flashback. The lighting tone was deceptive. Hector was shown as an old man. It was the aftermath of the shoe that leads to the hostage situation. 

Compare this to the classic BB episode that shows Don Eladio's pool, where Gus' lover is killed. Hector was a dark haired younger man there. That was a flashback. 

OK good, glad I wasn't mistaken!

I still think it *was* a flashback.  The way Hector explained to Eladio how he had bought the ice cream company and hired its driver, sounded like it had just happened.  As we saw in the previous seasons, Hector's operation (along with the ice cream shop in Albuquerque) was already up and running.  That driver is the one we saw go through the whole customs operation (he waits around during the inspection, takes out an popsicle, and finishes it by the time he reaches the drop where the guns are and put the popsicle stick into the ground....).  He was the same driver who Mike had stopped and robbed (and later rescued by the civilian who Hector then murdered).  You could tell in the flashback here the driver was new to the Eladio cartel, and was pretty clearly terrified of the Don.  Also, it was played up as though this was Gus's first payment to Eladio; he seemed to be truly surprised at how much money Gus had made.  I think the scene was used to help explain Hector's animosity towards Gus, and his embarrassment and inferiority to someone he certainly views as an "outsider."  So it wasn't a flashback to as far back in time as the scene in BB, but I'm still convinced it was a flashback nonetheless.  The lighting is the giveaway, with the reddish-orange tint to everything, as a callback to the BB episode.  In BCS, the flashbacks (particularly involving Chuck) seem to suck the color out of everything, leaving just blues and grays.

Having said that, the scene works wonderfully with either interpretation, flashback or not.  I particularly love the final shot, where Hector is standing, looking down into the pool; unless I'm mistaken that's the exact spot where Gus's partner fell and bled into the pool after Hector shot him.  I imagine Hector wishing he could do the same to Gus at that moment.

25 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

I still think it *was* a flashback.  The way Hector explained to Eladio how he had bought the ice cream company and hired its driver, sounded like it had just happened.  As we saw in the previous seasons, Hector's operation (along with the ice cream shop in Albuquerque) was already up and running.  That driver is the one we saw go through the whole customs operation (he waits around during the inspection, takes out an popsicle, and finishes it by the time he reaches the drop where the guns are and put the popsicle stick into the ground....).  He was the same driver who Mike had stopped and robbed (and later rescued by the civilian who Hector then murdered).  You could tell in the flashback here the driver was new to the Eladio cartel, and was pretty clearly terrified of the Don.  Also, it was played up as though this was Gus's first payment to Eladio; he seemed to be truly surprised at how much money Gus had made.  I think the scene was used to help explain Hector's animosity towards Gus, and his embarrassment and inferiority to someone he certainly views as an "outsider."  So it wasn't a flashback to as far back in time as the scene in BB, but I'm still convinced it was a flashback nonetheless.  The lighting is the giveaway, with the reddish-orange tint to everything, as a callback to the BB episode.  In BCS, the flashbacks (particularly involving Chuck) seem to suck the color out of everything, leaving just blues and grays.

Having said that, the scene works wonderfully with either interpretation, flashback or not.  I particularly love the final shot, where Hector is standing, looking down into the pool; unless I'm mistaken that's the exact spot where Gus's partner fell and bled into the pool after Hector shot him.  I imagine Hector wishing he could do the same to Gus at that moment.

Woah, the plot thickens.  I'm check the internets now and see if Gilligan and Gould have commented on it!

Sadly they only do Talking Saults for the season premieres and finales, not every episode.

Anyway, it turns out we were wrong, and Steef are Matt S are right!

It IS a flashback because it takes place during a time when the ice cream shop is up and running.  As a results of Mike's shoe stunt last week, the ice cream shop was raided by the DEA.  Plus all that driver stuff Matt S talked about :)

Basically, it goes:

• Breaking Bad season 4 flashback (sometime in the late 80s / early 90s) - Gus wants to work for Eliadio, but Eliado has Hector kill Gus's partner by the pool instead
  • Better Call Saul flashback (sometime in the late 90s / early 2000s) - Hector has opened an ice cream store front, Gus is now working for Eliadio and brings in more money than Hector, who gets jealous
  • The bulk of Better Call Saul (2002-2003) - Hector and Gus hate each other but both work for Don Eliadio, Mike just got Hector's ice cream shop shut down
  • The bulk of Breaking Bad (2008-2010) - Hector is wheelchair-bound after a stroke, Gus competes with Eliadio's empire instead of working for it, eventually ultimately kills Eliadio by the same pool with poison tequilla, etc etc
  • Better Call Saul black and white season openers (sometime after 2010)

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Episode 5 was riveting from start to finish, just waiting to see what the 'play' was. Brilliant stuff! 

Chicanery

Despite being credited neither Mike nor Gus appear in this. This episode is all about the disciplinary hearing.

In temrs of structure it's a very simple episode. We start with another flashback where Chuck, already suffering from his condition is having dinner with Rebecca, trying to get her back I suppose. We actually see Chuck lying as he tells her that they cut of the power because of a mix up with the bill. It seems to be going quite well till it turns out Rebecca has a cellphone on her. Jimmy is present during the dinner, and probably set the whole thing up trying to get Chuck and Rebecca back together.

There's another short scene with Kim and the Mesa Verde people. And a scene where Jimmy visits Mike's vet contact, asking about someone to do a job.

Everything else is about the hearing.

It's a brilliantly set up piece of TV. We see Howard trying to persuade Chuck not to take the stand. Mainly because of the risks to HMM if it doesnt go well. Chuck reassures him. Throughout this whole thing Chuck seems determined and well prepared.

Kim starts the hearing by attempting to grill Howard. She probably gets as much out of the situation as she could. Meanwhile we learn Jimmy has something planned but it isnt quite working out right.

Turns out Jimmy hired Huell from Breaking Bad! During a short recess Huell "accidentally" bumps into Chuck. We know something must have happened.

Rebecca arrives, apparently invited by Jimmy. She finds out about Chucks condition finally. It seems like a ploy of Jimmy's 

The final act is brilliant. Jimmy takes Kim's place in questioning Chuck. Trying to build the case that he was lying about messing with the Mesa Verde. Chuck had earlier clearly and concisely stated his condition was only physical, not mental. Jimmy is trying to assert that it's actually a mental illness.

Throughout this Chuck is a rock. Seemingly seeing through all of Jimmy's ploys to get him to crack, and he doesnt.

Untill it turns out Huell has hidden a fully charged cellphone battery in Chucks pocket. According to the description he gave of his condition Chuck should have sensed it. But he didnt.Chuck finally does go off on a tangent. Not for very long, but just about enough.

It's a gripping reveal. So far the show has been very vague about the exact nature of Chuck's condition. It's obviously a real thing. But is it mental or physical? I've always wondered.

Now I wondered what happened to Chuck that brought this one. I would speculate next week's episode will start with a flashback that tells us.

The episode ends on a shot of Chuck in the background, with the EXIT sign in front!

Damn this was good TV! 

I wonder why Jimmy brought Rebecca into this. Was he trying to hedge his bets and see if it would help Chuck to crack? It probably helped make Chuck angry and aided in his sudden outburst.

Great to see Huell! There's no reason why they could not have used another actor. But the fact that they didnt it's just...I dunno. Fun.

Top notch acting all around. From Kim's reserved professionalism to Jimmy's act as the wounded brother. McKean takes centre stage her. It's actually painful to see him fatally lose his cool. It certainly seems enough to establish a reasonable doubt about his mental condition.

I didn't recount the narrative.  I commented on it.

Why don't you share your thoughts about the most recent episode, or respond to our observations, instead of critiquing what we post, Thor?

I'm not critiquing it; I'm just not used to that kind of 'narrative deconstruction'.

I enjoyed the latest episode, as I've done all episodes so far. I like how Gilligan is able to mold dialogue-driven (and on the surface, "dry") material into something so gripping. I can't believe how fast that courtroom episode flashed by. How all the small details of the plan slowly, but steadily realize themselves. It's particularly impressive when you consider that the outcome is known in advance, at least for BB fans (we KNOW that he won't be debarred). I also love -- unlike, say, LOST or most of Lindelof's writing -- how elements that are unexplained in the previous episodes (like Mike taking photos of the house) are contexualized in the episode immediately following it. This is tight and focussed writing.

The visuals were less impressive this time, but some great shots -- dug the BARRY LYNDON-like lighting of the dinner scene in the beginning, and the last pan of Chuck in his loneliness up to the blurred "Exit" sign. That's the exit for him, alright.

I don't think this was explicitly stated in the latest episode, but the "thing" Mike found in Chuck's address book was probably Rebecca's address and/or phone number, right?  That's how Jimmy was able to get her to come to the hearing?

Leave it to Gilligan and Gould to make the most entertaining courtroom sequence in TV in ages. Awesome stuff.