BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

Wasn't sure.

I think if AMC had canceled the show, Netflix would have paid for another season themselves, like when AMC canceled The Killing

• 2 weeks later...

Emmy nominations are out and BCS has 9 noms. None for Michael McKean, which is a travesty. Jonathan Banks was nominated, and while he deserves his accolades McKean absolutely knocked it out of the park this season.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/2017-emmy-nominees-list-nominations-1202494465/

Absolutely ridiculous that McKean didn't get nominated. The Leftovers also got snubbed big time, especially Carrie Coon.

Went to see Vince Gilligan today in Melbourne and he was fantastic! Told a few stories that were probably known to fans (like how the series originated and how Gilligan knew Cranston through the X-Files) but he was an excellent speaker. Keeps your attention with funny anecdotes and great insight into the creative process.

Didn't realise there would be a Q&A at the end; I couldn't think of a question to ask on the spot! Bummer!

Interestingly, when asked about how long he envisages Better Call Saul running, he specifically mentioned the 62 episodes of Breaking Bad and said BCS 'will end up in the same ballpark when all is said and done'. With 10 episode seasons, I got the impression that means they're aiming for 6 seasons!

I envisaged 5 seasons being plenty but they are shorter seasons than Breaking Bad. I could see the last few episodes of the series focusing on future-Jimmy going through some kind of crisis and returning to ABQ. Seems like they have something big in mind.

Gilligan amusingly joked that they didn't intend BCS to become another "good guy turns bad" series, lest they start looking like one-trick ponies. 

Vince Gilligan spent a significant portion of his childhood growing up in my hometown, so I've always been glad to see his success.  He even sometimes includes easter egg references to our little corner of Virginia in his shows.  Little throwaway things like scribbled down addresses or whatever.

He's still got that central Virginia accent!  I love hearing it in his interviews.

And David Fincher's longtime editor grew up here too!  His cousin was my high school girlfriend.  Our only connections to the film industry.

On 7/24/2017 at 1:08 AM, crumbs said:

Went to see Vince Gilligan today in Melbourne and he was fantastic! Told a few stories that were probably known to fans (like how the series originated and how Gilligan knew Cranston through the X-Files) but he was an excellent speaker. Keeps your attention with funny anecdotes and great insight into the creative process.

Didn't realise there would be a Q&A at the end; I couldn't think of a question to ask on the spot! Bummer!

Interestingly, when asked about how long he envisages Better Call Saul running, he specifically mentioned the 62 episodes of Breaking Bad and said BCS 'will end up in the same ballpark when all is said and done'. With 10 episode seasons, I got the impression that means they're aiming for 6 seasons!

I was there too @crumbs, it was great.

A lot of it was stuff we'd heard in interviews before but he's a very well-spoken (and soft-spoken) individual. I was there with some friends who I work with in the film industry and it was very insightful for us. I couldn't think of a question either, but the ones that were asked were very good and the answers insightful. One person asked about the use of colours as a visual motif in the show, and surprisingly Vince said there wasn't much to it apart from the fact he wanted colours to be a strong presence in the show. Another good one was about the use of humour in the show, and how as it progresses the humour became less and less involved. Again this wasn't intentional but happened organically through the writing.

One thing I hadn't heard beforehand was that originally Walt was directly responsible for Jane's death by deliberately dosing her with a syringe. He had to fight to even keep the watered-down version that we saw which was essentially manslaughter through deliberate inaction. That was an interesting tidbit.

Ah yes, he mentioned that was the only occasion in 6 years where the studio raised a concern (and even then it was more of a, "are you sure about this?" rather than an instruction to change it).

He believes it was a positive in the end. Walt doing that deed in season 2 was way too early in his development. It was also far more disturbing seeing him watch Jane die with inaction rather than assist her death. Clearly Gilligan agreed and cited this as a reason why sometimes studio feedback is valuable if the writers aren't sure about the creative.

I got the impression he and Peter Gould didn't set out to make BCS another good guy turns bad narrative, and he seemed a little disheartened about that. He said he's dreading writing Jimmy's inevitable fall because they love his character. Unlike Walt, Jimmy is more morally bankrupt than morally corrupt.

Seems like things are going to get a lot worse and Chuck is only the beginning. He mentioned the writer's room is in full swing back in LA for season 4.

• 1 month later...

And Odenkirk lost Best Actor to Sterling K Brown for This Is Us. Oh well.

And BCS lost Best Drama Series to The Handmaid's Tale. Didn't stand a chance.

I haven't seen The Handmaid's Tale so cannot comment on it's quality, but BCS S3 was the best season of TV I saw this past TV season for sure.

Handmaid's definitely had its moments. Occasionally frustrating, but usually pretty solid. BCS is definitely better though.

• 7 months later...

Season 4 is still filming and no release date has been set.  While we wait:

‘Better Call Saul’: Bob Odenkirk, Peter Gould & Gordon Smith Share Updates & Hopes For Season 4 & Beyond

I'm glad they won't mess around with Chuck's death and just confirm it right away.

• 1 month later...

Bryan Cranston is now 62, Breaking Bad began on Walter White's 50th birthday and BCS started 6 years before that.  Cranston at 62 playing a 45 year old version of himself would look even less weird that Jonathan Banks playing the younger Mike.

Jesse would be even more implausible in the main timeline since Aaaron Paul is 38 and Jesse would be a high school student at the time of BCS, but at least he could play adult Jesse in the Gene / Cinnabon timeline.

It just seems so fan-servicey to have Saul/Gene ever interact with anyone from those days at all now that his witness relocation has been successful.

Yea Tuco was kind of wedged in, but Hector and Gus being a part of the show is great. The Lydia cameo was fine too.