BETTER CALL SAUL

Jay

It certainly wasn't about introducing new characters and their motivations, it was about developing Mike's character and showing you the first kill he had to make since his revenge-kill of his son's killers.  He's now on the path to becoming the jaded Mike from BB.

Of course it centred on Mike's own character development, otherwise he'd have had nothing to do all season. But the new characters that they had orbit him and that entire basement storyline I largely blame for, amongst other things, turning me off the season. It was pure padding and I still haven't finished it. Mike has always been the weak link in this for me.

Watch the season finale you haven't seen yet, then come back and commentate on the success (or not) of the season.  Until then your comments are irrelevant, as the finale explained a lot of the reasons why the preceding episodes were the way they were.  

Lol is that the best you can come back with? What a cop out.

I didn't need to watch all of Under the Dome to know I didn't think that was very good either. I guess my view on that is void too, huh. Haha

Nah, completely different situations.  I gave up on Under the Dome too, as it was clearly going nowhere.

BCS employs a completely different writing style.  They purposely let things get looser and unexplained this season along the way, so the pay off at the end of the finale episode would have more impact.  I'm telling you, as a friend and fellow lover of quality TV, that it will be worth 45 minutes of your time to check it out, despite you losing faith as you went through this current season.  What have you got to lose? 

I don't like it when I write a paragraph of reply, you quote one sentence that suits your viewpoint, and ignore the rest.

I'm not trying to argue with you.  I have no interest.  I am recommending, from one friend to another, from one tv connoisseur to another, that you check out the season finale you haven't seen yet, as I have read all your misgivings you've posted in this thread about the season until that point, and I am suggesting watching it will help to change your mind.  You can either listen to me, and set aside 45 minutes of your free time to do so, or not.  If you don't, I find your posts commentating on things you know nothing about to be annoying, and not contributing of anything of importance to this thread.  It's like when Steef decides to post something stupid in the video game thread.  And that will probably be the only part of this post you'll quote and respond to.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't like it when I write a paragraph of reply, you quote one sentence that suits your viewpoint, and ignore the rest.

Spend some time learning about how saying things to people like "your comments are irrelevant" mid discussion can instantly shut down any desire for further discussion on the matter.

I'll be watching it eventually. I'm too invested to just give up on what has been a superb series overall anyway. I simply found season 4 to be the weakest so far and by a country mile. It's hardly a Walking Dead situation though is it, I'm not about to abandon the thing entirely am I.

Anyway, once again for those with poor memory:

On 9/18/2018 at 11:37 PM, Quintus said:

I've watched five of these and I'm not feeling it this year. It's elegantly produced as always, but I'm finding it suddenly very dull. Does it get going eventually?

On 9/19/2018 at 11:05 AM, Quintus said:

I'm really missing the Jimmy vs Chuck dynamic. I miss Michael McKean's offbeat input into what is now essentially becoming a fully fledged crime thriller.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:00 PM, Quintus said:

I'm up to date. I really think Gilligan and Gould have taken their eye off the ball this season. Not a great one at all. So many bad choices made, I feel, and there's only three instalments remaining in which to right the ship. Ah well, it happens.

I hated the split-screen montage btw. All the very intricate subtlety from previous seasons completely thrown out of the window, there. Very uncharacteristic of this writing team.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:13 AM, Quintus said:

I think I'm 2 or 3 behind on this now. It's difficult to muster up the enthusiasm.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:16 PM, Quintus said:

BCS epi 8, and it's yet more head scratching scenes in the meth lab construction subplot which nobody gave a shit about until the writers decided we should do (Psst, I still don't care). A major scripting faux pas this season for me.

Also, can someone remind me again or explain why it's so absolutely VITAL that Huell doesn't do jail time? The massively elaborate shenanigans in this episode suggest he must not go to prison at all costs. But I don't really know why.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:45 PM, Quintus said:

...the chosen catalyst for all of this (Huell), after all we've been through and felt with these people, every little minutiae and nuance of their characterisation, so painstakingly crafted to be so carefully convincing, is a fuckin' joke. It's pathetic.

I am disappoint.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:52 PM, Quintus said:

Nah. It's been a straight up downgrade for me. However, this is merely my view of it. I'm not trying to disparage anyone else's enjoyment of the season.

On 10/4/2018 at 4:01 PM, Quintus said:

That whole thing about super driven and successful Hamlin promptly falling apart and becoming a disheveled mess after Chuck's death... pfft, what a copout! I don't buy it at all. To me this season has felt like regular network TV, it's been a disaster.

Now according to Jay's daft reckoning, everything above is rendered null and void as a result of my not seeing the last episode yet. The suggestion being that all of my personal thoughts and reactions to all previous episodes leading up to it are somehow "irrelevant".

I mean, please. I think that's the single dumbest and most casually insulting thing I've heard said to me here in quite some time if I'm honest. And then the guy has the bare-faced cheek to wonder why I suddenly decide to disengage. LOL!

I'll know not to bother replying at all next time though, hey.

I never said your thoughts on prior episodes was irrelevant.  I said your commentary on an article about what future seasons will entail is irrelevant.

Now it makes sense.  You misunderstood me!  Sorry for the confusion.  I would never say anyone's thoughts on anything they watched was irrelevant; That would be quite daft indeed.  I was entirely talking about your response to the article I posted, about future seasons.  I'm sorry you misundestood me; Not sure if you read too fast, or if I chose some poor wording somewhere.  Sorry for the confusion, mate!

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

I never said your thoughts on prior episodes was irrelevant.  I said your commentary on an article about what future seasons will entail is irrelevant.

Now it makes sense.  You misunderstood me!  Sorry for the confusion.  I would never say anyone's thoughts on anything they watched was irrelevant; That would be quite daft indeed.  I was entirely talking about your response to the article I posted, about future seasons.  I'm sorry you misundestood me.

Hehe, I can spot your careful wording a mile off Jason. Nice try though. Cumbersome, but an attempt was at least made.

Ps: I didn't even read an article. I literally replied your celebratory post regarding six seasons, nothing else. Sorry if you read me wrong.

Oh - thanks for the little amendment you made to your post at the end there. Appreciated.

I don't know what you are getting at.  I was completely honest in my post . If you choose not to believe me that's your prerogative.

Okay glad that's sorted then, I'm delighted you've come to a sort of workable realisation in the end.

Anyway, on the subject of BCS now and beyond: one thing I think has really hurt this show is small universe syndrome and Gillian and Gould's stupid Lucas style preoccupation with including as many people from Breaking Bad as they can get away with. The whole Huell thing for example; I'm still irked even now by the fact that it was somehow that low level comic relief character (in BCS) who would indirectly compel Kim to turn corrupt. It couldn't possibly be any more hamfisted and unsatisfying to me. So if there's gonna be yet more novelty cameos who later become major catalysts in the plot one way or another, then I'm gonna be hugely deterred from carrying on with this show. I don't want a nice little neat bow where everyone gets to be involved, to be a cog in some big Albuquerque saga, it'd be contrived and dishonest after all the absolutely stellar writing that came in the early seasons. Better Call Saul is a small scale drama. Let's not make it yet another cinematic universe.

I agree, they shouldn't be relying on BB cameos any more at this point.  But I have faith in Gilligan and Gould!

Rhea Seehorn is on the final season of Veep.  Plays a very different character from Kim, though sadly they haven't given her much to do yet.    I heard she's in the new Twilight Zone too.

I'm glad she's getting work; She's a marvel on this show and I was already a fan from before!

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm glad she's getting work; She's a marvel on this show and I was already a fan from before!

She's the shows emotional center right now, since Jimmy...well no longer is anymore.

And yes she's amazing.

I hold BCS to greater standards than I do other TV I watch, so I have and do find numerous flaws in there, over the course of its impressive four season run. 

I think that's permissible, though.

It's won awards by various organizations like Saturn Award, AFI Awards, Critic's Choice, etc.  But no Emmys, no.

Emmy nominations:

• Season 1 - nominated for Outstanding Drama Series, Best Actor for Bob Odenkirk, Supporting Actor for Jonathan Banks, writing (for Five-O episode) - lost to GOT season 5, Jon Hamm for Mad Men season 7, Peter Dinklage for GOT season 5, Mother's Mercy from GOT season 5 (season 5 finale episode)

• Season 2 - nominated for Outstanding Drama Series, Best Actor for Bob Odenkirk, Supporting Actor for Jonathan Banks - lost to GOT season 6, Rami Malek for Mr Robot season 1, Ben Mendelsohn for Bloodline season 1

• Season 3 - nominated for Outstanding Drama Series, Best Actor for Bob Odenkirk, Supporting Actor for Jonathan Banks, writing (for Chicanery episode), directing (for Witness episode) - lost to The Handmaid's Tale season 1, Sterling K. Brown for This is Us season 1, John Lithgow for The Crown season 1, a Handmaid's Tale season 1 episode, a Handmaid's Tale season 1 episode

• Season 4 - Emmy nominations haven't been announced yet.  Announced in July, ceremony in September.

I do agree with Lee, that some highlights aside, season 4 is the show's weakest. Chuck was missed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Better Call Saul Season 4 nominated for Best Drama Series!

Bob Odenkirk nominated for Lead Actor in a Drama Series!

Jonathan Banks & Giancarlo Esposito both nominated for Supporting Actor in a Drama Series!

Michael McKean nominated for Guest Actor in a Drama Series!!

Peter Gould & Thomas Schnauz nominated for Best Writing in a Drama Series (The Season 4 finale, "Winner")

Rhea Seehorn.... shut out again :(

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/emmys-2019-nominations-complete-list-1203268665/

Hopefully Michael McKean FINALLY wins something for his great work on this show, since he was never nominated for Supporting Actor during seasons 1-3

No directing noms this year since GOT somehow sucked them all up...

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to see what exhaustive subplot they'll pad the 6th season out with then. Maybe we'll finally get to see how a contractor with links to Mike ended up installing Walter's swimming pool just before he moved into the house with Skylar, or we'll learn all about the genesis of Marie's kleptomania, which as it turns out was indirectly triggered by Mike.

Surely 6 seasons is enough. Even season 4 was starting to feel stretched, right after all the momentum they gained in season 3.

That said, Breaking Bad's 5.1 season felt similar to me, after the exhausting rollercoaster that was season 4. That proved to be the calm before the storm, and I'm sure this is no different.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Can't wait to see what exhaustive subplot they'll pad the 6th season out with then. Maybe we'll finally get to see how a contractor with links to Mike ended up installing Walter's swimming pool just before he moved into the house with Skylar, or we'll learn all about the genesis of Marie's kleptomania, which as it turns out was indirectly triggered by Mike.

What are you talking about?

I bet you still haven't even finished S4!