James Horner - Living In The Age of Airplanes (2015)

Jay

• 1 month later...

Cool use of choir!

Hopefully this gets at least a digital release (I can't imagine it will get a physical CD, maybe in 20 years combined with some other Nat Geo scores or something)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

According to the official website there will be a soundtrack release

http://www.airplanesmovie.com/faq/

Will you be releasing a soundtrack?
Yes! Look for it around the same time the film is released on DVD and Blu-ray.

By the way, isn't it so horrifically ironic that this was the last film with Horner's music to be released while he was still alive. This, of all things?

And, on top of that, narrated by Harrison Ford...

So much for inspiring wonder of flying in glorious IMAX format...

Karol

Yea its been playing in Boston for months

See post #7 for other locations and release dates

By the way, isn't it so horrifically ironic that this was the last film with Horner's music to be released while he was still alive. This, of all things?

And, on top of that, narrated by Harrison Ford...

So much for inspiring wonder of flying in glorious IMAX format...

Karol

It's ironic?

• 1 year later...

I didn't remember this was coming out. What a nice surprise. Another new Horner score is always welcome. :)

It's a bit Avatar-ish in places, some Newman-esque sections and yes there are the definite pop-ish elements as well. Looking forward to hearing this one in full.

Airplanes_Soundtrack_Cover_Art.jpg

The soundtrack of the awe-inspiring original score by Academy Award® winning composer James Horner will be released worldwide on iTunes in October 2016.

In the meantime, on this page, you can sample 30-second excerpts from each track.

http://www.airplanesmovie.com/soundtrack/

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

What are your thoughts on the samples?

My thoughts were:

1. Damn, it comes out in October.

2. This film must have a lot of travel scenery.

3. I was probably hoping for a vintage flight cue (Rocketeer, Flight Overture, Apollo 13, etc.)

4. That I should shut the hell up, be grateful for a new Horner score, and stop judging it by 30 second samples.

@Stefancos has seen the film and might have written about the music when he did, though I don't see him mentioning it in this thread

6 hours ago, Jay said:

@Stefancos has seen the film and might have written about the music when he did, though I don't see him mentioning it in this thread

This is true.

26 minutes ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Considering Horner's track record with flight-themed music, even just before his passing, this sounds like a huge letdown.

Please remember that this is a score for a documentary rather then a motion picture score.

There's a lot of short tracks, different styles of music as the docu goes though different aspects of aviation. From typical Horner "Americana" ala Apollo 13 to quirky synths to wordless vocals to faux period jazz. 

It may not have the depth and complexity of Horners feature film work, but it's a very nice example of his various musical stylings.

• 2 months later...

Listened to it this morning.

Wonderful and very varied score. Slightly different to his usual film work, since a documentary has a different narrative form, allowing Horner to be less scene specific in certain cues. The music just flies by thanks to the score's short running time and large variety of styles. It contains everything from large orchestral music very much in the vein of The Perfect Storm, Big Band jazz, pop/rock, electronic, and naturally, since this is a Horner score, some lashings of "world music".

Not a work of amazing depth, and not as coherent as his film scores. But it does show off very well why he was such a great film composer, and why we miss him.