'SCORE: A Film Music Documentary' - Kickstarter project (includes John Williams)

Ricard

"Hollywood's premier composers take viewers inside the world's most-recognized music genre: the film score."

Last summer we set out to create a first-of-its-kind, definitive documentary about the power of film scores. As Emmy Award-winning journalists, we quickly knew we’d uncovered something magical: a privileged look at the lives of the world’s greatest living virtuosos.

SCORE: A Film Music Documentary - Kickstarter page

post-3-0-12598200-1424164218.jpg

• Why Disneys Frozen originally had a darker, more determined sound.
  • The last-minute frenzy to re-score Pirates of the Caribbean after its original pirate score was thrown out.
  • How World War Z's original score bumped it to an R rating from PG-13.
  • What Steven Spielberg changed about E.T.'s famous across-the-moon shot so John Williams could write music for it.

I don't want to know any of this...

Already backed it. TBH, I find the pledge level distribution a bit steep, the focus (seemingly) too much on 2000+ and the crew a bit hipsterish... but I guess the focus also depends on who is actually still around and active, and the hipsterism then probably comes with the territory. At least they've got the likes of Burlingame and Maltin. And after all, it *is* a documentary about film music.

I'm not sure they're planning on talking about Silvestri's score (looking at the way the sentence is phrased)...

Probably not, and Silvestri doesn't even appear to be listed as an interview, but still, something's gotta come up eventually, right?

Right?

Already backed it. TBH, I find the pledge level distribution a bit steep, the focus (seemingly) too much on 2000+ and the crew a bit hipsterish... but I guess the focus also depends on who is actually still around and active, and the hipsterism then probably comes with the territory. At least they've got the likes of Burlingame and Maltin. And after all, it *is* a documentary about film music.

So hipsters are to blame for the current state of film music?

They list a ton of names but go further to specify only some of them are confirmed. Does that mean the others are just hopeful prospects?

Based on the project video, my sense is that the others have already been interviewed.

Personally, I think it looks rather cheesy and superficial from the trailer alone (and very "American"), but I'm impressed by the interview objects they've been able to secure. As someone who also relies on attractive interview objects, I'm totally envious (especially about Zimmer and Elfman). It will be interesting to follow the development of this.

Personally, I think it looks rather cheesy and superficial from the trailer alone (and very "American"), but I'm impressed by the interview objects they've been able to secure. As someone who also relies on attractive interview objects, I'm totally envious (especially about Zimmer and Elfman). It will be interesting to follow the development of this.

What are "attractive interview objects"?

I do suspect the September 2004 features on film music from BFI's Sight and Sound will prove to be more interesting than what ultimately comes out of this project.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Apparently picture's locked ! 
And here is a video uploaded to youtube back in january but it's not been posted here, so here it is !

Ugh, another documentary in which talking heads preach about how important music is, and composers kissing each others' asses.

I'd pay to watch something that's as frank and honest as Horner's rant about Troy and The New World. I suspect this will not be.

I don't know, but I think the point is here to know more about the scoring process. And in that, it's better than any 4 minutes video inside a blu-ray :)
We'll see I guess :P

On 5/8/2016 at 10:16 AM, toothless said:

Apparently picture's locked ! 
And here is a video uploaded to youtube back in january but it's not been posted here, so here it is !

I hope they got someone to do a better sound mix than what's in this trailer.  Looking forward to seeing the film though!

-Erik-

• 1 month later...

I got to attend a VIP screening of this film last night in Hollywood and I have to say it was thoroughly enjoyable (that's me on the right on the red carpet with a friend of mine). There were many interviews with various film composers and film music experts. No new interview footage with Williams, but they did use a lot of pre-existing interview footage with him talking about his composing process, and a decent segment of the film was centered around his work. There was a also a nice anecdote from James Cameron in the end credits done in memory of the late, great James Horner. The filmmakers did say that the film will be getting its official premiere in the film festival circuit later this year, and hopefully much wider distribution thereafter. It was hard not to disrupt the audience and hum the many musical themes heard throughout the film!

image.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This being the premier film music site on the internet, I'm sure this has been discussed here, but I haven't seen it mentiond...looks fantastic! Frankly it's amazing that it took so long for a feature length documentary about this topic to be made.

Score is an upcoming documentary feature that goes behind the scenes of recording the scores for motion pictures. As well as behind the scenes footage, it also includes interviews with filmmakers and composers.

It features interviews with over 50 people, including John Williams, Danny Elfman, James Cameron, Hans Zimmer, David Arnold, Brian Tyler, Bear McCreary, Howard Shore, Patrick Doyle, the late Garry Marshall, and many, many more. There’s also archive footage of the late, great James Horner in there too.

Lots of Williams in the trailer...first few seconds gave me chills.

https://www.score-movie.com

• 1 month later...

I thought they also produced a book which is the full interview with the composers they talked to so that is how you can get your outtakes. 

33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Wasn't very well reviewed on rogerebert.com

Yes, the review convinced me it's not worth my time.

The ideal viewer of “Score: A Film Music Documentary” is someone who enjoys film music but doesn’t know a whole lot about it.

I liked how he dismissively referred to Tyler Bates as a "Keith Urban lookalike" multiple times :D.  It's a cheap shot, but boy I can't stand that man's music.

Just read that review. Says all I need to know about the kind of film this is.

This also gave me a good laugh:

And again, maybe this has to do with the fact that I myself know enough about film music that I don’t have to hear “Bernard Herrmann—he had balls” from a Keith Urban lookalike whose signature career achievements have been scoring both “Guardians of the Galaxy” films. This fellow, one Tyler Bates, goes on to say the “Psycho” shower scene is not scary without Herrmman’s music, and what do you know, when played silently, it sure doesn’t have that much impact. He also says that without the imagery, Herrmann’s music sounds like so much noise, which suggests that he’s not a guy who’s gonna have much use for Pierre Boulez, although I sort of figured that out around the time I noticed he was a Keith Urban lookalike.

It's funny reading the filmtracks scoreboard-backed outrage in the review's comments about the David Newman remark, with posters citing such "great" scores as The Phantom, The Brave Little Toaster, and Tarzan (2014) as proof of the writer's arrogance!  :lol:

Psycho is a good score, but I find it a chore to listen to on its own. Goldsmith's Psycho II, the 1983 OST on the other hand, is a more nuanced work. With counterpoint and all those other big words I don't understand.

Whazzap with the Tyler Bates dissing? Is it because of the 300 controversy?

I think he's delivered some solid scores over his career, although he is by no means on my radar. It's more weird that he was used as the 'poster' for the film during the previously mentioned Oslo Pix screening.